How To Clean Your Windscreen? (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
OK, good timing this. By chance I was watching a program about old coaches and busses last night and one old driver happened to say that cutting a potato in half and smearing the windscreen with the open ends was great for keeping them clean and preventing water spotting. Not tried it yet, anyone else heard of it? I was going to try it out lunchtime but I was eating chips at the time....:think:
In the days when I drove a minivan all over the country I used that, it worked a treat!

Malcolm

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
I clean, polish with Autoglym glass polish then apply Angelwax H2GO for the screen.

I'm super impressed with Rain-x glass cleaner and repellent though which I use for glass side side windows.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
While driving my sister to her home, my windscreen wipers were leaving greasy film across the screen. I explained I needed to clean the blades, she said "here, use this" and gave me a freshly removed wet nappy from her month old baby. She explained that its high ammonia content would do the job, and it did, perfectly clear, like new operation of wipers on screen..

Umm I can see a possible flaw here as I'm sure Halfords don't stock wet nappies or month old babies and I think if I asked some random stranger to borrow their month old baby I'd probably get arrested:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
Having hired a van that came with no water in the windscreen washer tank and with a dedicated kamikaze group of god knows what splattering the windscreen I turned to the only cleaning fluid I had with me - dettol kitchen spray from poundland - and a bit of kitchen roll. Flipping brilliant. I should patent it.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I found RainX to be rubbish, same as Guardex and all the rest of those "magic" remedies =just snake oil from my experience

Some good tips given in this thread.

Last edited:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
OK, good timing this. By chance I was watching a program about old coaches and busses last night and one old driver happened to say that cutting a potato in half and smearing the windscreen with the open ends was great for keeping them clean and preventing water spotting. Not tried it yet, anyone else heard of it? I was going to try it out lunchtime but I was eating chips at the time....:think:

Works to keep motorcycle helmet visors fog free on the inside as well, or Fairy Liquid.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Vinegar works for me, I got it in an old shower spray bottle, then a rinse, then chamois dry.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Wire wool works - especially good in bug season. Hand wash place I used to use down south put me onto it. Make sure it's the finest available - known as 4 ball (0000) in the wood finishing game - and use plenty of soapy water. BE WARNED THOUGH - don't go near plastic with it, not a good outcome.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
surely a nylon pan scourer and some lubricant would be safer than wire wool. the steel is hard enough to scratch the glass, only microscopically maybe but still damaging to the surface

hard to beat vinegar for cleaning glass and removing all traces of bugs and polish. it used to be common for people to use vinegar and old newspaper. it still works very well
Don't you have kids chasing you down the street? The van must smell like a mobile chippy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have been using wire wool grade (0000) for as long as I can remember and not noticed to date any problems on the windscreen. After cleaning I apply rainx (halfords or any good car shop) and rain runs off like a nonstick surface.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back