Free Member
May 22, 2016
Berden, Essex
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
Since 2011
I think I have a windscreen seal leak at the top offside corner of my windscreen on my 2011 Rapido 543 motorhome. The headlining is damp just at the top of the offside A-Pillar after rain ( or careful watering of the screen at the top.)

Has anyone dealt with this problem successfully.

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Have you had the screen replaced at some point?

The reason I ask is that I had a screen changed on a T5 and that leaked badly. They had to fit another screen which solved the problem. The 2nd time round, the installer said the 1st one hadn't been fitted correctly.

OP
OP
J

JWF1

Free Member
May 22, 2016
Berden, Essex
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
Since 2011
To the best of my knowledge screen has never been replaced. I have just returned from a month in Holland and France, the damp started whilst away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Have you hit any substantial bumps that may have twisted the cab body?

OP
OP
J

JWF1

Free Member
May 22, 2016
Berden, Essex
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
Since 2011
No, I have neither chips to the screen nor have had any substantial bumps, so I am looking for a sealant that will work I guess.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Unless your windscreen has a rubber surround it will be bonded in. If so probably the only way to cure it is to have the windscreen taken out and re-bonded. If it has a rubber surround (I suspect it doesn't) any non setting mastic carefully applied under the rubber as you peel it back would be the answer.

OP
OP
J

JWF1

Free Member
May 22, 2016
Berden, Essex
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
Since 2011
Since the original post I have confirmed that the leak is in the corner of the screen, no evidence of damage so I guess I need a sealant, has anyone found an effective product?

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Don't bother trying to seal it, it really is not worth the effort and is unlikely to be successful. I recently had a brand new screen fitted to my 2009 X250 for just £150 so really not worth trying to bodge some sealant into it. Get a pro windscreen outfit to remove the screen and refit or even just bite the bullet and have a new screen fitted.

D.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
While I agree with Dave to a point:) for £4 you can buy a tube of black Puraflex 40 from toolstation(or tiger seal from a motor factors) and mask up the screen and bodywork squirt in and smooth off with a damp finger ,pull off masking tape and job done-do all along top and sides;)
terry

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
If it was me I would get the screen resealed professionally, but if using anything like Captain Tolleys be aware that it will seep out for ages after applying and run down the body work, which if not removed immediately will stain badly.

OP
OP
J

JWF1

Free Member
May 22, 2016
Berden, Essex
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for all the advice, I am awaiting quotes for resealing or replacing. Will see what I find and report back.

?

Deleted User
Cant you peel the trim back and DIY? Halfords did a silicon based tube years ago but unsure if they still do.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
are you absolutely certain it is the windscreen and not a body joint?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back