Overnighting at Devils punch bowl car park. (1 Viewer)

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
We would like to stop off in Hindhead to visit friends on Saturday night and they said it would be OK to park overnight in the NT Devils punch bowl car park. Could anyone offer feedback on overnighting at this location? Thanks.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Can't help on the parking but your post did stir memories of the old A3 when we used to go to a Great Aunt's bungalow on Hayling Island in the 50's. She told us about the Devil's Punch Bowl and the Hog's Back, a notorious stretch of the road where Mike Hawthorn died later in 1959. Looking at the NT website it seems that stretch has been buried under the spoils from the Hindhead Tunnel.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As far as I am aware, overnight camping is banned in all National Trust car parks. How strictly they enforce it, I don't know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Oh the Devil's Punchbowl. What a fantastic name for a place! Brings back memories of when I was a child and reading (Monica Cooper???) books about the Romney Marshes and the Devil's Punchbowl.

Happy days!

P's think I've got the authors name wrong :(.

OP
OP
Lorryman100

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
An update on parking at the Devils Punchbowl. In the end we parked in our friends driveway but parking in the NT car park would not have been an issue as there are no gates to lock up at night. On the way back from the pub we did notice a lot of boy racers using the tarmac part of the car park as a meeting/ hanging out point but the rear of the car park is not tarred and seemed very quiet. Our friends told us that motorhomes park there all the time and no one seems to patrol the car park other than the hoards of dog walkers making their way onto the common at all hours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back