LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The first e-bikes I tried were Kalkhoff although they were quite good was not keen on the battery behind the frame as makes the bike longer not so good for getting them in the Motorhome garage. Then went on to try Haibikes and other Bosch powered bikes they were just so much better and nicer to ride.

Ended up buying a couple of Scott Sub-Tour 10 with Bosch Active drives had them exactly a year now and have been very pleased with them but now thinking of changing.
My good lady would rather have a step through rather than a ladies frame and I am thinking about an off road bike.
Have found that all the latest good quality e-bikes have 28" wheels (as do our Scotts) whould have liked 26" wheels easier to get in our vans garage as the Exsis garage is not as high as the B-Class (good reason to change vans:)) also my good lady is only 4'10" that causes another problem if as she wants a step through as they are unisex sizes so frames not as small as a lady's frame.

Interesting point the new Bosch 500W battery is lighter than the 400W.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I am looking to replace my wife's E-bike this Autumn.

She doesn't do great distances, (two artificial knees prevent that) but still loves to ride.

I have followed the arguments on here and, through her experience to date, am happy to look for centre drive bikes.

Her problem is the weight of the bike. When she comes to a halt and has to put her foot down she finds that the weight of the bike is transferred through her knee causing some discomfort and precarious balance.
Most bikes we gave looked at are heavy with the motor, gearing and, usually steel frames. They are also heavy to lift onto and off the M/H rack.

Is there a step through model, centre drive with a reasonably low weight we should consider?

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
No idea about e bikes as don't have them but have you seen the gtech ones that are fairly new to market. Cost just under £1000, hybrid, lightweight, no chain as belt driven

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Just bought one of these last week so far very happy.

upload_2016-5-26_9-3-51.jpeg

And one of these
upload_2016-5-26_9-5-32.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-26_9-4-49.jpeg
    upload_2016-5-26_9-4-49.jpeg
    10.6 KB · Views: 20

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Most bikes we gave looked at are heavy with the motor, gearing and, usually steel frames. They are also heavy to lift onto and off the M/H rack.

Is there a step through model, centre drive with a reasonably low weight we should consider?
All the decent bikes have lightweight high strength alloy frames but the batteries and motors are heavy, usually around 10 -14 kg heavier than a standard bike. Step through's tend to be slightly heavier as the frame needs to be a much larger section. You are looking at 22 - 25kg, heavy to get on a rack even with the battery removed, I'm young & fit :) still a pain to get them in the Motorhome garage compared to ordinary bikes.
Another problem you will find is all the good ones come with 28" or 29" wheels which makes them higher I have been looking for a replacement for my wife's bike can't find anything suitable with 26" wheel, my wife is only 4'10".

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
It doesn't look like you are looking for a folding one but for anyone who is I can highly recommend the Solex Mobiky (bought last year and find it much better than previous dutch e-bike)- it is not heavy, lovely to ride, even on hills and it folds like no other bike, taking much less space as does not fold on itself but concertina upwards. Also easier in this configuration to walk with i.e. on train platforms etc.
http://www.solexworld.co.uk/en/produit/3-SOLEX-BY-MOBIKY.html

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
All the decent bikes have lightweight high strength alloy frames but the batteries and motors are heavy, usually around 10 -14 kg heavier than a standard bike. Step through's tend to be slightly heavier as the frame needs to be a much larger section. You are looking at 22 - 25kg, heavy to get on a rack even with the battery removed, I'm young & fit :) still a pain to get them in the Motorhome garage compared to ordinary bikes.
Another problem you will find is all the good ones come with 28" or 29" wheels which makes them higher I have been looking for a replacement for my wife's bike can't find anything suitable with 26" wheel, my wife is only 4'10".

KTM do a 24" which is very nice, the Macina Cross I think it's called.

We have the 20" R&M which are fantastic bits of kit. With the seat post removed, handlebars folded and pedals removed we slide two into our small rear garage with no problem.

We elected for the smaller wheels (primarily for storage in our motorhome garage) but also we found them far easier to manoeuvre about town's and busy tourist attractions. They're also easier to manage if taking them on trains too.

OnBike in Worcester have a great range to test ride and can get bikes in to test if sufficient notice is given.

Riese & Muller BlueLabel Pony Black.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Before we brought tried out a couple of small wheel bikes biggest problem was the instability on loose gravel big wheeled bike are far more stable also our shopping list dictated centre Bosch drive.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Is this horses for courses.
I just want something that we can use to extend our range, I/we have no intention of going off road, just a tool to get us to and From A2B.

I'm with you on this one.
We're looking to get a couple, at the moment we have ordinary folding bikes but could do with a bit of help to ease the strain on the joints & increase the range. Suggestions welcome but remember we have a budget ( total of £2000 for 2 bikes).

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I love our ebikes. Ours are the ASbikes and I know they are now old technology and there are lighter and more powerful bikes around but a 20 mile round trip is about our limit and they do that with ease. We are not TdF contenders, the bikes are so that we can get out and about to explore or do a bit of shopping. We are not going to race up and down mountains, old railway tracks suit us much better.

The ASbikes fold, have large wheels (there are small wheel versions available) and do the job. Also AS are a UK company and have been in business for many years, nice people to deal with and spares are easily available - not that we've need anything much - a gear cable change for mine and new tyre for his, but nice to know that spares are available and for minimal cost.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Agree totally with @Puddleduck comments above.
When I got my MH last year I wanted an e-bike to toodle about to places 2-5 miles away. Any nearer I'd walk, any further I would drive or take public transport.
I hadn't been on a bike for 40 years so I wasn't about to spend thousands on something which may not get much use.
I was impressed with ASBikes but ended up getting this;
Broken Link Removed
for just £599.
One year on, its perfect for my limited needs - even if @Jim thinks its "ugly" :D.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Langtoftlad
Thanks for the info. Looks suitable in everything other than the "throttle only" spec, rendering it illegal in many parts of Europe. Needs to be pedelec, pedal assist only.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@Langtoftlad
Thanks for the info. Looks suitable in everything other than the "throttle only" spec, rendering it illegal in many parts of Europe. Needs to be pedelec, pedal assist only.
I suspect they will soon change them if they haven't already - as AS Bikes have done.
There's threads about doing simple self modification to disable throttle assist (and the legality of such).
You could always contact them to see what they say?
It's a non issue for me, so wasn't worried about the finer points - so its obviously an individuals choice but I'd be surprised if the police have the resources or the motivation to hunt down rogue e-bike riders :).

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Langtoftlad
Didn't mean to sound critical of your choice. My wife's last e-bike was like that.

Any throttle only bikes already bought in UK will remain legal in UK, I believe. Only new ones likely to be affected.

However, since we will be buying new I see no point in buying something we have to adapt.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@Langtoftlad
Didn't mean to sound critical of your choice. My wife's last e-bike was like that.

Any throttle only bikes already bought in UK will remain legal in UK, I believe. Only new ones likely to be affected.

However, since we will be buying new I see no point in buying something we have to adapt.
No probs, didn't take it as being critical.
I did take another look at their blurb - hadn't actually read it when I posted the link...
It does mention being able to switch modes so perhaps that is sufficient?
Anyway - it was only a demonstration that 'adequate' bikes are available at a lower price point.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
IMAG0262.jpg

This is 26" wheels, bought from nationwide e bikes last year and highly delighted with it. Schwalbe tyres, led lights run off battery, abus lock, saddle post suspension and front suspension. Twist grip hub gears. 400w battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back