What is the ideal Gas BBQ to buy , (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Just a follow-up on the legs for the cadac, looks like the new safari chef 2 has different size legs to the old one so the old table top may not fit anymore.

Les

Apr 18, 2008
Seaford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
beauclaire bbq Griddle,Paella Pans etc had one for 20 years easy to clean,just burn of old stuff lots of use,never go near a cadac

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
beauclaire bbq Griddle,Paella Pans etc had one for 20 years easy to clean,just burn of old stuff lots of use,never go near a cadac

They're great, have one having up in the garage...twice as heavy on gas though than a Cadac.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Lotus BBQ Like this

a
nd this

except we purchased the one from Lidl and found it to be a perfect match or copy.

The bits were interchangeable, mind you if ever you tasted anything Keith @Pikeman has cooked you'd take heed of his suggestion as he knows his onions so to speak.

I got one of these as well, like it a lot but not as convenient as the Cadac but I have used the Cadac lid on it which is handy at times!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think you'll get off lightly Rob even with advice I reckon everyone has been through at least three changes of mind along the way :LOL: but good luck (y)
So true, I was talking with someone only this weekend about the same thing - how we all collect BBQs over the years in the endless search for the perfect one. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have both the beauclare and a cadac Safari. The Cadac is the only one I take away with me in the van as it is lighter and more compact. The beauclare is a throw back to the tent camping days, but won't part with it - it's handy at home for a quick meal for 2/3 people.

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
if your in swansea in 2 weeks ill do it for you rob just get the bull finch fitting ive got pipe

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I like to dig a little hole and then run in to the woods gathering sticks and things, sometimes berries and a big fat rabbit, then I put the sticks and things in the little hole and I then take the rack out of the oven and put it over the hole and set fire to the twigs and things and put the big fat rabbit stuffed with berries and other nice things on the rack, then
I have a glass of wine or two and forget about the big fat rabbit and burn the bloody thing, then I go out to eat!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
If it's specifically a BBQ we're talking about then the Weber Q1000 isn't just the best BBQ I've bought (and I've bought many over the years that all rotted away all too quickly) it's one of the best ANYTHINGS I've bought.

It's one of the few 10/10 ratings I'd give.

Apart from the actual body being built out of rot/rust-proof materials the griddle (the important thing) is a superb heavy-weight item rather than looking like part of a shopping trolley.

The clever design has the gas jets heating the solid griddle, allowing fat to roll off, missing the jets beneath, so no flare ups or fires.
The griddle is easy to keep spotless with the wire brush and some water.

I was a bit disappointed to find it was too tall to fit in my Hymer skirt-locker but I bodged a quick-release hinge for the lid and it fits great.
See my Bodge >>HERE<<

I've never used a Cadac, so I won't claim the Weber is better than the Cadac as a BBQ but I will claim that the Cadac won't be a better BBQ than the Weber... it can't be.

Where the Cadac is clearly the better option is as a versatile, multi-function, outdoor cooker. I won't be cooking Paella on my Weber any time soon.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
If it's specifically a BBQ we're talking about then the Weber Q1000 isn't just the best BBQ I've bought (and I've bought many over the years that all rotted away all too quickly) it's one of the best ANYTHINGS I've bought.

It's one of the few 10/10 ratings I'd give.

Apart from the actual body being built out of rot/rust-proof materials the griddle (the important thing) is a superb heavy-weight item rather than looking like part of a shopping trolley.

The clever design has the gas jets heating the solid griddle, allowing fat to roll off, missing the jets beneath, so no flare ups or fires.
The griddle is easy to keep spotless with the wire brush and some water.

I was a bit disappointed to find it was too tall to fit in my Hymer skirt-locker but I bodged a quick-release hinge for the lid and it fits great.
See my Bodge >>HERE<<

I've never used a Cadac, so I won't claim the Weber is better than the Cadac as a BBQ but I will claim that the Cadac won't be a better BBQ than the Weber... it can't be.

Where the Cadac is clearly the better option is as a versatile, multi-function, outdoor cooker. I won't be cooking Paella on my Weber any time soon.

Well I've tried and had both...the Weber and now have the Cadac (plus a charcoal LIDL copy of the Lotus Grill). Both very good with distinct advantages and very few disadvantages.

I loved the Weber to cook on and nothing has ever beaten it! For me, having to take the lid off to go in the locker was a bit of a pain...like your mod though...brilliant!
The only other very little thing was cleaning the inside out below the burner...not a problem if hauled up for a few days or longer but did make en route cooking a tiny chore. Yes you can put it away a bit grubby but I didn't like it under the side couch locker smelling a wee bit!

The Cadac doesn't cook as well...no debate! But it is quick to use and very easy to clean up and I'm now fairly contented ;).

If I had a MH with a garage to keep it in it would be the Weber everytime!

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Well I've tried and had both...the Weber and now have the Cadac (plus a charcoal LIDL copy of the Lotus Grill). Both very good with distinct advantages and very few disadvantages.

I loved the Weber to cook on and nothing has ever beaten it! For me, having to take the lid off to go in the locker was a bit of a pain...like your mod though...brilliant!
The only other very little thing was cleaning the inside out below the burner...not a problem if hauled up for a few days or longer but did make en route cooking a tiny chore. Yes you can put it away a bit grubby but I didn't like it under the side couch locker smelling a wee bit!

The Cadac doesn't cook as well...no debate! But it is quick to use and very easy to clean up and I'm now fairly contented ;).

If I had a MH with a garage to keep it in it would be the Weber everytime!

The Weber for me every time. I do not consider it a BBQ, it is an outside oven... We cook on it like a BBQ, I use it to roast joints of meats like an oven, I cook pizza's on it and many other things. Our new van has an external gas connector and so now I do not have to carry a separate gas bottle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back