pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Bloody hell I just bought a 16 year old Mohican, no signs of damp or bad smells, chassis is spot on as I know about the mechanical side of things, picking up on Saturday fingers crossed jobs a good un.:cautious:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
O well, sh*t happens! The extrusion you mention is the cause of the issue as the wall sits in it. If there's no seal then water sits in the aluminium trough and soaks into the wood at the bottom of the wall. My understanding is that AT changed the design after 2012 and hence why they offer a 10 year warranty for vans built after 2012. You can only also assume that vans built before 2012 are like mine, rubbish.

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Picked up the Comanche today £2000 poorer. 3 other Autotrails of similar vintage were in the workshop for damp repairs! I've asked AT for a gesture of goodwill but I can guess what that will be! I'll certainly never buy another Autotrail and would seriously recommend to anyone not to buy anything older than a 2012 vehicle with the 10 year water ingress warranty.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Picked up the Comanche today £2000 poorer. 3 other Autotrails of similar vintage were in the workshop for damp repairs! I've asked AT for a gesture of goodwill but I can guess what that will be! I'll certainly never buy another Autotrail and would seriously recommend to anyone not to buy anything older than a 2012 vehicle with the 10 year water ingress warranty.
Continental vans are so much further ahead of the game. When considering my current van, I googled for issues/problems/damp and found precisely zero......

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Why don`t you write to every motorhome magazine, caravan clubs and your local MP. tell them the whole story, do some research on the internet and find others that have fallen foul of Auto-trails poor build quality plus how they won`t except responsibility for what is clearly a design fault and bad workmanship.

You`ve certainly nothing to loose by going public.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Continental vans are so much further ahead of the game. When considering my current van, I googled for issues/problems/damp and found precisely zero......

Brave post,... but you are absolutely correct... and it's all about construction methods and materials ...

Water ingress can happen in ANY van, Continental or British .. none are immune, window seals etc can leak... but if there is no timber in the construction it is not an issue.. it can be easily resealed with no structural damage..

No wood.. nothing to rot, nothing worry about..

Many years ago I had an old Colchester caravan, and noticed a bit of damp in the toilet, under the window.. so I started to investigate with a view to replacing the window frame... by the time I had finished I had stripped out the whole back corner.. the damp had travelled along the back wall and up the side to the roof.. all the timber had turned to a grey coloured ash.. I ended up replacing almost the whole back end and a good section of the side panel..

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

You have learnt the hard way......get rid and buy German but get it surveyed this time....anyone that takes a used motorhome at face value need their head examined...

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Brave post,... but you are absolutely correct... and it's all about construction methods and materials ...

Water ingress can happen in ANY van, Continental or British .. none are immune, window seals etc can leak... but if there is no timber in the construction it is not an issue.. it can be easily resealed with no structural damage..

No wood.. nothing to rot, nothing worry about..

Many years ago I had an old Colchester caravan, and noticed a bit of damp in the toilet, under the window.. so I started to investigate with a view to replacing the window frame... by the time I had finished I had stripped out the whole back corner.. the damp had travelled along the back wall and up the side to the roof.. all the timber had turned to a grey coloured ash.. I ended up replacing almost the whole back end and a good section of the side panel..
Cheers Jim - lour first van was a Lunar. Similar expensive problem in the Luton....... a combination of very poor design indeed and cheap wood. It is now out there somewhere with quite a lot of marine plywood

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
I do think some foreign vans are better but there was a Burstner in the workshop wih water pouring in the roof! I fundamentally think AT made a design error that they changed in 2012 and therefore vehicles prior to 2012 have to be suspect. Most people think vehicles prior to 2007 were better so i would suggest 2007 - 2012 should be considered with real caution. Only my opinion & i'm sure a lot are ok but there are so many that aren't!

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Our dealer did a hab check on our then Apache in June 2014 at 4 years old and found higher than normal damp readings in the identical place to the OP. We had been advised it was not very urgent, but we should get it done as soon as we could after holidays were over. It had been dealer hab checked from new.
We agreed a part ex at NEC 2014, pointing out this was outstanding and we would have repaired at our cost (as we did not want it deteriorating and impacting the to us excellent part ex agreed), which we did with the dealer shortly after the NEC show.
Similar repair in removal of the jointing strip just behind drivers cab and re-seal. However, not the panel damage identified by the OP.
I think every window on it had been re-sealed by then as well.
We were told we wouldn't have the same problems with our new Scout, new fitting methods. Took it home and did my own water test. One window found to be leaking, and now repaired.
I now check the interior near the windows after every period of heavy rain.
Must invest in a damp meter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Bit of an update; very convinced that my issue caused by poor quality in construction and poor materials used so contacted Autotrail to express my displeasure and look for help & got a message back asking for copies of the service reports which I forwarded. Suffice to say & not surprised to get a message today with 3 reasons why they won't help at all. Appalled at the lack of help but at least I won't have to eat that hat! I'll never buy another AT.

Last edited:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
That is such a shame as I really don't think it would be too much of a problem to at least assist in dealing with the issues. Suffice to say I will also never buy another AutoTrail.

Some harsh lessons learnt but it won't be made again with the same manufacturer.

Hope it is now all sorted.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
It beggars belief that such a prestige company and product can be so bad. I have a 2006 Dakota. I also have a damp meter and so far, so good :whew:

Don't Autotail monitor the likes of Fun and read the many threads about the shoddy workmanship they provide. I've found so many examples myself. Screws that haven't bitten and placed in at an angle (usually where you can't see them), ill fitting doors, shoddy wiring along the chassis, etc etc etc.

If they did, then surely they'd do something about it. I bet they can place the person who fitted the wiring loom on my van, place the idiots who chucked his sweetie wrappers behind my fittings and those that can't put a screw in straight to save their lives!!! They could then publicly flog them for me and then improve their product!!! Don't they carry out any staged "out inspections" on the work in process. They need me there. I'd soon stop a production line if I found even the hint of shoddy work. Then educate the idiots, invest in them and start improving the product....simples :clap:

Come on Autotrail, get a :swear:ing grip!!!!!!!!

YOURE LOSING CUSTOMERS AT AN ALARMING RATE!!!

Watching the video below, they quote as producing 25% of all motorhomes built in the UK. I wonder if that's a falling figure. You can also see the entire body being lowered onto the area that's allowing the water to sit and eventually lead to the damp suffered by the OP :Eeek: Also talk about the fit and finish of their products and their reputation, they really need to wake up to the woes so many are facing :swear2:

We should all turn up on mass at their annual open day tour of the factory and then hit them square between the eyes with all our woes and worries :boxing:

Would I get another Autotrail????:lipssealed: Not sure, but I'd defo buy German, if only they changed some of the layouts :rock:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Some years ago, we had dreadful problems with a vehicle we purchased brand new. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer, were helpful.

Fortunately, at that time, we made signs and had a vinyl cutter/plotter. These days you can buy self adhesive vinyl signs cheaply from Ebay.

I plastered the entire vehicle with very bright, appropriate signage, some in 12” high letters, drawing attention to all the problems with it and the pathetic “help” provided by the dealer and manufacturer.

I drove the vehicle to the dealership and parked outside. After heated discussions with the dealer principal, outside on the pavement, hurried telephone conversations between the dealer and manufacturer and my threat to call branches of the media to come and take photographs of the scene, I was quickly offered a full refund.

I can imagine that a motorhome, similarly plastered with appropriate signage, would concentrate the minds of those that matter at Autotrail, particularly if the van was to be parked up at the larger shows.

Having read most of the horror stories on this forum, written by disgruntled AT owners, I for one would never consider buying a van manufactured by AT. I think that one of the stories was written by Knockinonabit who suffered a dreadful ordeal with his van.

I am sure that there are many proud AT owners out there who enjoy their vans, experiencing no problems at all, and good luck to them. I have to say that AT vans, in the main, are very attractive and comfortable but the risk of getting a bad one is too high for me.

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Can only agree with the previous posts. Autotrail do themselves no favours with their appalling customer service. I have the email address of the customer service manager who must just cut and paste standard replies so a good job!

I was trying to think of ways of getting to AT and thought of walking around the AT stand with a sandwich board but I bet I wouldn't get in! Any other thoughts from people?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can only agree with the previous posts. Autotrail do themselves no favours with their appalling customer service. I have the email address of the customer service manager who must just cut and paste standard replies so a good job!

I was trying to think of ways of getting to AT and thought of walking around the AT stand with a sandwich board but I bet I wouldn't get in! Any other thoughts from people?

A bogus Autotrail website would be a cheap way to bring attention to the situation. The idea being when someone searches up pops your complaint site full of examples of appaling support and what a rubbish warrenty they offer!

Someone did it a few years back can't remember the site...must have put plenty of the brand

Ludos idea a good one though...

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
A bogus Autotrail website would be a cheap way to bring attention to the situation. The idea being when someone searches up pops your complaint site full of examples of appaling support and what a rubbish warrenty they offer!

Someone did it a few years back can't remember the site...must have put plenty of the brand

Ludos idea a good one though...
Perhaps you mean this: Link Removed

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Why don`t you write to every motorhome magazine, caravan clubs and your local MP. tell them the whole story, do some research on the internet and find others that have fallen foul of Auto-trails poor build quality plus how they won`t except responsibility for what is clearly a design fault and bad workmanship.

You`ve certainly nothing to loose by going public.
They wont print it as they get major income from the manufacturers in advertising

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Some years ago, we had dreadful problems with a vehicle we purchased brand new. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer, were helpful.

Fortunately, at that time, we made signs and had a vinyl cutter/plotter. These days you can buy self adhesive vinyl signs cheaply from Ebay.

I plastered the entire vehicle with very bright, appropriate signage, some in 12” high letters, drawing attention to all the problems with it and the pathetic “help” provided by the dealer and manufacturer.

I drove the vehicle to the dealership and parked outside. After heated discussions with the dealer principal, outside on the pavement, hurried telephone conversations between the dealer and manufacturer and my threat to call branches of the media to come and take photographs of the scene, I was quickly offered a full refund.

I can imagine that a motorhome, similarly plastered with appropriate signage, would concentrate the minds of those that matter at Autotrail, particularly if the van was to be parked up at the larger shows.

Having read most of the horror stories on this forum, written by disgruntled AT owners, I for one would never consider buying a van manufactured by AT. I think that one of the stories was written by Knockinonabit who suffered a dreadful ordeal with his van.

I am sure that there are many proud AT owners out there who enjoy their vans, experiencing no problems at all, and good luck to them. I have to say that AT vans, in the main, are very attractive and comfortable but the risk of getting a bad one is too high for me.
A haulage company did this many moons ago regarding a new Daf they had bought that spent more time in the garage than it did on the road, very successful campaign it was too and got results.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A haulage company did this many moons ago regarding a new Daf they had bought that spent more time in the garage than it did on the road, very successful campaign it was too and got results.

If you have the time to sit outside all weekends its the easiest option. just get some cheap hanging signs made up..

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
@Cossieg I will back you up full time if you want to start a fight with Autotrail.
Read my thread Autotrail Woes.
It is still ongoing.
In the pictures you posted of your MH in bits, the plastic panel above the exhaust actually came off my Comanche.
It has been repaired by the dealer, but who knows what is going on behind it.

@ludo I am still suffering with it.
It is in the dealers again. It will probably be in for at least 3 weeks while the PSU and the entertainment/reversing camera system are repaired.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you have the time to sit outside all weekends its the easiest option. just get some cheap hanging signs made up..
Well this vehicle was up and down the country when not in the garage so it got plenty of 'air time' and still had the curtain sides painted when it was in the garage. It had faults, dates, dates fixed, the lot all painted on the curtain sides. I saw it regularly as their yard was near ours on Trafford Park as was Daf.

DandP

Free Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ely
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Caravanning for 10 years
I'm looking at an autotrail Mohican and these stories of damp problems scare the hell out of me. If I manage to find a good one with no damp problem is it worth sealing the outside with a good silicon along the top of the join between panel and metal trough it sits in. I take it this is where the moisture gets in. I'm talking about an older motor and not one that's in warranty as I assume this would invalidate it. Has anybody tried this?

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
If I bought another AT (which I doubt i would) i would remove the grey trim and make sure the seal along the bottom of the wall is good. I would replace the grey trim and then seal,all along that where it butts against the wall just to make sure. I would take every window out and reseal them and also make sure the rooflight seals are good.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Chief_Rain_in_the_face_on_horse.jpg

Damp Comanche..................

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm looking at an autotrail Mohican and these stories of damp problems scare the hell out of me. If I manage to find a good one with no damp problem is it worth sealing the outside with a good silicon along the top of the join between panel and metal trough it sits in. I take it this is where the moisture gets in. I'm talking about an older motor and not one that's in warranty as I assume this would invalidate it. Has anybody tried this?
If it's dry then yes you can either go over the seals with a sikaflex/puraflex40 /polymer type sealant (not silicon)or rake out and reseal -on a old van I would simply clean mask up and go over it ;)
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back