Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Hi Guys

we are looking for two E bikes, the budget is circa £2000.00 each ,we would like Hybrids if thats possible ,the type thats a cross between a road bike and an off road bike ,center drive is preferred, are there any reccomendations and we are willing to import from Europe:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Bosch centre drive...the best! let me know what sizes and style but if 2 mtb's Im guessing partner fine on a crossbar bike? and I may be able to help with R&M, (Luv mine!!!) the BMW of German bikes. (my friend the director:)) wrong time of year really for end of season deals buy you never know!:D

http://en.r-m.de/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
I bought a 2016 Haibike Sduro cross in January.
Yamaha engine - fantastic bit of kit - used it every day since!

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
Don't ignore the Bafang Centre Drive bikes, they produce more torque than the standard Bosch Active Line motor, cost less and have a UK based service and parts set up. Don't be put off by the name - Bafang are the largest eBike motor maker in the world.

As with all of these things - go and ride a few, find the one that you like best.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Don't ignore the Bafang Centre Drive bikes, they produce more torque than the standard Bosch Active Line motor, cost less and have a UK based service and parts set up. Don't be put off by the name - Bafang are the largest eBike motor maker in the world.

As with all of these things - go and ride a few, find the one that you like best.

Crude on off power delivery via cheap hub motor in wheel. Have a test ride and you will soon see the difference :rolleyes:

They DON'T drive through the gear set either so no mechanical advantage or help there when hill climbing......they are a crude joke IMO

Last edited:

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
[
Crude on off power delivery via cheap hub motor in wheel. Have a test ride and you will soon see the difference :rolleyes:

They DON'T drive through the gear set either so no mechanical advantage or help there when hill climbing......they are a crude joke IMO

Not sure why I am being quoted here, this appears to be an (ill informed) attack on hub motors.

Night Owl

Free Member
Oct 24, 2011
Nr York
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
20 years

I have a Bafang centre drive motor which I fitted to my bike and it does drive through my gear set and is superb and very torquey. I cannot see how it is a crude joke as it is very good indeed.
Peter

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Try and compare that's all, my comments where regards compared to quality centre drivers from the likes of Bosch. Brose and 36 Volt Panasonic. Your happy that's all well and good....

Just read a review and they said not sensitive enough to reconsise gear change and consequently gear set wear....sun's pretty crude to me!
All the above bikes are 250 watt whats yours. 250 350 500 or 750. Last 3 illegal anywhwre fir road use....

All of my choice above with EPAC certification and no throttle...consequently legal all over including EU and Spain......

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You have none of this banter over a decent push bike,,keep on peddling,,,BUSBY:D:D
You still peddle with a center drive bike or else get nowhere. ...before being so anti you should try a few.... it costs nothing:)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You still peddle with a center drive bike or else get nowhere. ...before being so anti you should try a few.... it costs nothing:)

I have ridden one,,,may look at one when i get older,,,BUSBY:D:D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Jeeze that's a lot of money. I'm a very very very poor old aged pensioner. Anything cheaper?
There's the horrible bafang mentioned above £340 for a kit. Personally would rather walk:D

Back on topic? OP looking at centre drive bikes (proper ones) with a 2k budget:censored:

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
I have a Bafang centre drive motor which I fitted to my bike and it does drive through my gear set and is superb and very torquey. I cannot see how it is a crude joke as it is very good indeed.
Peter

You still haven't grasped it have you - your motor may be better or at least as good as but it simply does not have the right badge on it.
There's the horrible bafang mentioned above £340 for a kit. Personally would rather walk:D

Back on topic? OP looking at centre drive bikes (proper ones) with a 2k budget:censored:

Back to where we began then, my original post suggested considering Bafang Centre Drive Bikes, it specifically did not mention hub drives and it did not mention kits, not that there is anything wrong with either of those types of bike.

The bikes I refer to were designed from the beginning to capitalise on the new Bafang Centre Drive system, 250w, 36v, Panasonic batteries, the motors are compact, responsive and quiet.

All of the ones that I have seen retail between £1600 and £1850, there are stepthroughs, crossbars and trail bikes. They all comply to EN15194.

Their power output is greater than the Active Line and less than the Performance Line from Bosch.

If you have seen or better still ridden one then feel free to pass comment but please do not dismiss them if you don't actually know anything at all about them.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Kalkhoff every time, had mine 5 years now, brilliant bike, great drive system Panasonic, and I believe the new Bisch drives are even better. Worth every penny.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I had a ride on a A2B bike at a recent show, it drove very well http://www.wearea2b.com/uk

Opinions?
It looks like a bit of a moped to be honest what's the weight? Can't imagine lifting one onto a rack for instance. .....
My high spec R&M Bosch poweted full suspension bike weighs 20.5 kg

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
The more you pay for your e-bike.
The more likley it is to get stolen.
Tried loads for me the Bosch is the best motor.
Also I think the Judge knows more about e-bikes than most on here.IMO.
R&M fantastic bike but can you get them for under £2000 ?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
It looks like a bit of a moped to be honest what's the weight? Can't imagine lifting one onto a rack for instance. .....
My high spec R&M Bosch poweted full suspension bike weighs 20.5 kg
morning Eddie,
Knew you wouldn't be able to resist an ebike post!
Hope you are doing well today!x

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I tried their smaller folding one. so not sure. It was really nice to drive.
OK all I can recommend is that you try a Bosch powered bike for a comparison including some hills! Not just a quick zip round a car park......Then make a decision on which you prefer :)

See you ride a bike, drive a moped :LOL:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Is this horses for courses.
I just want something that we can use to extend our range, I/we have no intention of going off road, just a tool to get us to and From A2B, on that basis, the AS bikes sounds ideal.
Options.
a) AS bike.
b) Expensive bike,
c) Car on A frame v- costly
d) Public transport.
e) Walk.
f) Dont move.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just going to get my push bikes out of storage,,,dust them down blow tyres up and put them on van for departure to the sun next weekend.Cant wait to get on them and get fit again. Not been on them since feb in Benidorm......walking is just not the same...BUSBY:):):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back