Camping in les deux alpes (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks Soozy, much obliged, hope I have't been to much of a pest.:)
Have seen the Les 2 Alpes ap? its on google playstore, maybe on apple as well, gives you snow depth and temperature at various heights and a map with opening times of lifts plus a load of other stuff. Its the one with a big red "2"
Does that €162 include boots?

Ian

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
GLISSHOP is the cheapest place for gear.
The only downside is they are in France and boot fitting is not an option! Quick delivery and a loyalty scheme though!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Hi soozywoozy, been having hour lessons on the Ipswich dry ski slope, had 7 so far, still doing crap snow plough turns off the top, but getting better. :D Got time for about 2 more before we go. sil is a boarder and will be wanting me to go up onto the glacier with him, 9 year old grandson can ski, he's had lessons for the past 2-3 years in Tignes, and can't understand why grandad can't ski well, its so easy. :rolleyes:

Google maps and tomtom route me up the A16/E40 towards Bruges to miss the toll roads, going via Bergues I rejoin the tomtom route at Namur, do you think thats a better route?

Ian

you will find Skiing on the snow much easier after being on dry slopes. have a good time.
ps My Dad learn` t to ski when he was 71 mastering the blues now aged 82 so plenty of time.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
82 good on him, free pass after 72 I think, so some benefits to getting old. :)

Been strongly advised not to buy boots online, and a friend of sil's had boots with a heat formable liner, he reckons they are magic, so that's what I am looking at. Some also have this "ride and hike" feature which I presume makes walking in them easier.

Probably go shopping on Sunday, be like kid in a sweet shop.:LOL:

Ian

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
82 good on him, free pass after 72 I think, so some benefits to getting old. :)

Been strongly advised not to buy boots online, and a friend of sil's had boots with a heat formable liner, he reckons they are magic, so that's what I am looking at. Some also have this "ride and hike" feature which I presume makes walking in them easier.

Probably go shopping on Sunday, be like kid in a sweet shop.:LOL:

Ian
hi @olley

I have had thermo fit this time, and they are indeed the dogs danglers(y)

Also had the 'walk switch' on the last pair and couldn't tell the differenceo_O

If you have deep pockets and really bad feet you can have them 'injection foam' fitted, circa £700:eek:

enjoy

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi @olley

I have had thermo fit this time, and they are indeed the dogs danglers(y)

Also had the 'walk switch' on the last pair and couldn't tell the differenceo_O

If you have deep pockets and really bad feet you can have them 'injection foam' fitted, circa £700:eek:

enjoy

It's the foam ones that sils mate had, got them in Tignes I believe, a year or to ago. He's loaded not like a poor old pensioner like me.
Alpine Room at Danbury are doing some thermo fit for about 200 notes, which sounds good, two daughters are going chip in towards them as a birthday present. :)

Already agreed to go skiing next year, group of about twenty of us, Dragon Lodge Tignes I believe, so guess I am hooked.:LOL:

Ian

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Grandsons all ready to hit the slopes. Going to have to learn fast, can't have a three year old beat me.:D
IMG-20160313-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20160313-WA0001.jpg

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
At camping Moulin in Venosc at the moment, snow on the lower slopes in les2 near enough finished. Very windy today so all the cable cars stopped, lower slopes mobbed, gave up and went back to the RV, quite warm so sat outside and had a few glasses. Lol.

Weathers not been paticually good all week, best day was yesterday, we went up on the glacier, nice and sunny, but was blowing gale.

Ian

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
A few pictures of the aire at les2. Taken from the free bus.
Better weather today went up in the bubble to 2100 metres and spent 4-5 hours on the green run Petite.
IMG_20160401_155851.jpg
IMG_20160401_155844.jpg
IMG_20160401_155804.jpg

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Great to see that thanks Olly
What facilities does it have and how far from the lifts?
Cheers

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi jac, we didn't stay there, we stayed in camping Moulin down in venosc. I believe it has electric, but not sure. Theirs a lift to Alpe 2100 metre, 50 metres away. From there you can ski or bubble down to les2 or cable car up higher.

Ian

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks Ian
I hope you had some decent ski weather in the end.
Did you do the new blue run people were talking about? If so what was the name? We were there a month ago and weren't aware of a new blue and I was curious.
Do you have any problems camping with the van in the snow?
I'm keen to try but hubby is a bit wary of snowy conditions. We have a good winterised van and would use snow tyres and chains. (New to Motorhoming)
(We stayed at champs du moulin too but flew / transferred there in the end as our house sale wasn't through in time)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The aire has, toilets electric and water. You pay by card at the entrance. The local bobbies do come around and check. We stayed the one night a couple of years ago but prefer to go to Champ. We left last Thursday morning. Not the greatest of weather this year but plenty of snow around. I would not recommend the Jandri 1 back down. It was like a battlefield, bodies everywhere. Soft, bumpy and generally rubbish. Good for a quad workout though.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi jac the new run is called jandri 1. If you download the Les 2 app it shows it. I am still on greens but sil said the new run was good at the top but slushy lower down. As for snow at Venosc, we never saw any, in fact most of the time I was in shirt sleeves in the evening. Did you have any at the campsite?

I doubt I will go back, wife doesn't ski so got a bit fed up. Going on my own with a group next year to Tignes, but we are flying.

Ian

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Haha thanks for the info. I remember jandri 1 now.
I was thinking of returning to the area in the summer in the van to ski on the glacier at the top. 1 wonder how that would be.
I loved the champs campsite especially the sauna
Yes we had a big dump while we were there; we were lucky. Here is a film one of our group made from the week (first week of March)

Makes me want to go back

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Sil tells me that their are plans in 2018 to join les2 with alpes d'hure that will make it the second biggest ski area after the 3 Valleys.
Got home last night a 23.00, typical home coming, it absolutely humped it down, and some really spectacular cloud to could lightening.

Fuel prices in France were bad, typical LPG was €.80 per litre, cheapest we saw was €.60. Petrol was around €1.40. Best LPG was Belgium at €.35-.40 per litre, oddly they wanted €1.40 for petrol, making LPG almost 4 times cheaper. I love Belgium 150 litres LPG for €52.50 about £43 :) Roads can be very bad though.

I went Dunkirk, Lille, Tournai, Mons Namour, Luxembourg, Metz, Nancy, Epinal, Besancon. After Nancy you start to lose the Dual carriageways and go to single carriageway, which makes progress much slower and more stressful (For me anyway) but after Besancon I just got fed up with the slow progress, and switched across to the A39 toll road.
I came back via the tolls to Nancy and the free motorways via Luxembourg, Brussels, Bruges and Dunkirk which for me was the best route being half and half tolls and free motorways. I did about 400 miles on Saturday and did the final 250 miles easily on Sunday arriving at the port about 15.30 for a 20.00 sailing, after going to the office they allowed us to take the 18.00 sailing for no extra payment, so one up for DFDS.:)

We stopped in the Aire at Bergues after getting the Thursday midnight ferry, an E. Leclerc petrolstation at Saint Sauveur on the Friday night arriving at Venosc late Saturday afternoon. On the return we stopped on a motorway aire near Entrange which is close the the French/Luxembourg border.

Ian

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Haha thanks for the info. I remember jandri 1 now.
I was thinking of returning to the area in the summer in the van to ski on the glacier at the top. 1 wonder how that would be.
I loved the champs campsite especially the sauna
Yes we had a big dump while we were there; we were lucky. Here is a film one of our group made from the week (first week of March)

Makes me want to go back

Thanks for the link Jac, excellent.
Here's a pic of the site when we were there, a bit warmer.:)
DSC00550_zpsluw6g51e.jpg

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
image.jpg
Thanks for the link Jac, excellent.
Here's a pic of the site when we were there, a bit warmer.:)
DSC00550_zpsluw6g51e.jpg
We were parked just up from yourselves, we passed on the way to the showers I believe.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We arrived on Friday 25th and left on Thursday. Took in a lovely wine tasting on the way back. Stayed at a couple of very nice aires too.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just done a quick total of our costs, including fuel (Mostly LPG), ferry's, road tolls and the campsite it comes to just over a grand, pretty good I think for 4 adults and two children.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back