Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We travelled from Cartagena to Almerima yesterday in Spain and the attendant charged us a Class 4.
We are 3.5t, 6..5 long,2.95 high and not a twin or tag axle.
I've tried to find out what we should have been.
We drove 44 kilometres on the AP7.
I told her we are Autocaravan, I had to say it 3 times as she didn't understand me but just said Si and Bali, which means yes ok and waved me through.
I think we're class 2 and should have paid less.
What can I do in the future to put it to the attendant we are class 2 and should pay less.
I'm not too worried this time as it wasn't much but on the higher priced tolls it would be a lot more ?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
I had this argument at the toll booth and the tollbooth assistant said all classes on that stretch are the same price.
Alan
this was two years ago

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thought campers the same class as cars in Spain. Tolls generally cheap.....

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
As we have never used the toll roads ever here in Spain as the ordinary roads are just as good and free, I can only say perhaps she caught you out and knowing you did not speak Spanish just charged you whatever she liked. As 95% of the Spanish people refuse to use them they take whatever they can...... of whom ever they can.....

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We used the AP7 from Valencia down to Benidorm, 7m Motorhome, 3700t.
We were charged €13.05.

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Why would anybody feel the need to use toll roads while in Spain ........ The Spanish don't, so follow their lead and stick to the ordinary road network, almost as good/fast in most of the country.

Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Not all toll roads in Spain use the same categorisation system, most class motorhomes and caravans as class 1 but not all.

We were charged €8.45 for a car and caravan from Mazarron to Vera, the tolled section of the OP's route, last October so it would seem that they were not charged at the top rate.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We used it as the normal roads took us through villages inland with the usual speed humps, speed restrictions and an extra 25 kilometres on our journey.
We worked out that we would have paid that in fuel anyway.
The toll road was a pleasure to drive, hardly anyone on it and no stopping.
I wasn't worried about the rate charged, just at the class charged as I wanted to be sure that the class that we are supposed to be charged at.

Deleted User
Why would anybody feel the need to use toll roads while in Spain ........ The Spanish don't, so follow their lead and stick to the ordinary road network, almost as good/fast in most of the country.

Bryan

Not always..... Barcelona!

Sections of the N340 around the Ebro delta, Vinaros, Torreblanca are a pain, traffic lights, roundabouts and trucks avoiding the toll road.

I avoid toll roads when possible but sometimes they are a better alternative to stop/start route, heavy on fuel and patience.

Not saying that most major free trunk roads in Spain are not excellent.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We used it as the normal roads took us through villages inland with the usual speed humps, speed restrictions and an extra 25 kilometres on our journey.
We worked out that we would have paid that in fuel anyway.
The toll road was a pleasure to drive, hardly anyone on it and no stopping.
I wasn't worried about the rate charged, just at the class charged as I wanted to be sure that the class that we are supposed to be charged at.
@TrishandTerry I'm not knocking you for using it, at the end of the day it's your choice. The sad fact is perhaps you got caught out. At least you will know for next time. When we first came to Spain to live we used the tolls a lot until our Spanish friends explained why not to use them, that was 4 years ago. You are on holiday and I'm not and time is important to you, so tolls make sense.

Deleted User
I would say that the AP7 from Cartagena to Vera is definitely one of the exceptions.:)

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
I would say that the AP7 from Cartagena to Vera is definitely one of the exceptions.:)

Agreed.

It is all too easy to forget that contributors to this thread, and others, about the Spanish road network are often time constrained while on holiday here, and need to get from A to B and back again, quickly. We are not so constrained and have the time to take more leisurely non toll routes thereby seeing close up the often extraordinary Spanish countryside. Seldom seen too much of interest when cruising along motorways ....... Wherever they are located.
In inland Andalucia, where we live, we are most fortunate to have a network of non toll roads available to us which are the envy of other parts of Spain and so it is easy to avoid paying tolls.
Wherever you drive ........ Safe journeys.

Bryan

Last edited:

Deleted User
Agreed.

It is all too easy to forget that contributors to this thread, and others, about the Spanish road network are often time constrained while on holiday here. We are not so constrained and have the time to take more leisurely non toll routes thereby seeing close up the often extraordinary Spanish countryside. Seldom seen too much of interest when cruising along motorways ....... Wherever they are located.
In inland Andalucia, where we live, we are most fortunate to have a network of non toll roads available to us which are the envy of other parts of Spain and so it is easy to avoid paying tolls.
Wherever you drive ........ Safe journeys.

Bryan

Can't argue with that.

We have always had a caravan and then the 5'er and toured extensively through Spain and especially Andalucia over the years. We have always had a car(pickup) to explore with and usually choose the easiest route between stops and then spend some time exploring locally.

Now we have based our 5'er in Tavira and bought a PVC we intend to get back to doing more touring, especially Southern Spain and Portugal, which wasn't really practical in the 5'er.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Somewhat OT but did you come from Los Madrilles near Cartagena ? We want to spend a couple of nights there to visit the city but every time we ring them they are full. What are our chances do you think if we simply turn up ? We're currently at Cabo de Gata.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Somewhat OT but did you come from Los Madrilles near Cartagena ? We want to spend a couple of nights there to visit the city but every time we ring them they are full. What are our chances do you think if we simply turn up ? We're currently at Cabo de Gata.
No we used the air at Cartagena.
Area de autocaravanas Cartagena.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Los madriles is usually full until March .....used to go every winter until 2012......oct to march nearly always full with just the occasional pitch available

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We travelled from Cartagena to Almerima yesterday in Spain and the attendant charged us a Class 4.
We are 3.5t, 6..5 long,2.95 high and not a twin or tag axle.
I've tried to find out what we should have been.
We drove 44 kilometres on the AP7.
I told her we are Autocaravan, I had to say it 3 times as she didn't understand me but just said Si and Bali, which means yes ok and waved me through.
I think we're class 2 and should have paid less.
What can I do in the future to put it to the attendant we are class 2 and should pay less.
I'm not too worried this time as it wasn't much but on the higher priced tolls it would be a lot more ?

So I'm guessing that you used the section of AP7 starting at Cartegena & finishing at Vera where you'd go back on to the A7/E15 ? Also known as the " ghost highway" , as no one uses it apart from the Cartegena fuel tankers.lol
To use the whole section from Cartegena to Vera in a car is 13,95€.
Actually 7.20€ I¡d guess is correct as it averages out at just under 15cents/km over the 97kms. every section has a different cost.
It is one of the dearest toll roads in all of Europe . One section around Fuente Alamo actually has the highest per km charge for any toll road in Europe.

here is the charging structure

http://www.aucosta.es/paginas/tarifas.pdf

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back