Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Very nice with some whisky sauce.
first raid husband/partner/whoever's single malt, hide chosen bottle and hope he doesn't miss it
put double cream in pan gently heat, add whisky, dijon and wholegrain mustards, give it a good stir and there you are.
Only got Grouse and creme fresh!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Only got Grouse and creme fresh!
that'll do i actually used grouse would not be typing this if i had used the single malt.
Just for reference cant stand whisky not even the smell after an unfortunate incident when i was almost 16 :oops:
p.s. dont boil the creme fresh

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Well thanks all. I've really enjoyed this thread and have just finished my meal. It was really good and will be giving haggis another go. We plan on going on a tour of Scotland so plan on bring haggis back

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
So why arent they called weeds then ?

Which is what i said....a turnip.

A swedish turnip, posh name is rutabaga
In Scotland, it is known as turnip, and in Scots as tumshie or neep.

But whatever, mashed carrot is no substitute for either. :D
A Neep is a Neep. If you are unsure what to buy, go to Tesco and if anyone asks what a Neep is, show them the label.......
image.jpeg

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Always an ongoing argument with my elderly mother - she is adamant that a swede is a turnip. Every time we have carrot and swede with roast beef she corrects me and tells me it is 'carrot and turnip'!!!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If you have skinned the poor thing you could try slicing it (if it hasn't fallen apart) and shallow frying it in very little oil. (Cut the legs off first) But you must have it with a wee dram
It's very important to cut the legs off if serving up as a family meal. Being native to the Scottish Highlands, haggis have their left legs somewhat shorter than those on the right. This enables them to run anti-clockwise round the mountains without falling over. Unfortunately for the haggis, it also makes them easy to catch - your canny Scot sends his dog on ahead to drive them back clockwise & they all tumble down the hill & then it's just a case of collecting them up.

But if you leave the legs on, it causes the most terrible arguments among the children as they all say it isn't fair when they get the smaller left leg. Better to remove the left legs & serve them to the dog - being smaller they don't make quite as much mess when regurgitated onto the carpet.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
1) be given haggis
2) admire haggis
3) throw haggis in the bin, assuming that even the dog turns its nose up at it

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
It's very important to cut the legs off if serving up as a family meal. Being native to the Scottish Highlands, haggis have their left legs somewhat shorter than those on the right. This enables them to run anti-clockwise round the mountains without falling over. Unfortunately for the haggis, it also makes them easy to catch - your canny Scot sends his dog on ahead to drive them back clockwise & they all tumble down the hill & then it's just a case of collecting them up.

But if you leave the legs on, it causes the most terrible arguments among the children as they all say it isn't fair when they get the smaller left leg. Better to remove the left legs & serve them to the dog - being smaller they don't make quite as much mess when regurgitated onto the carpet.
Yes but when is the open season on haggis? I assume after the glorious 12th Steve has a gun licence. So we're good to go

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I love Burns Night! Not just for the food and Whiskey

Whiskey is the Irish spelling of the word. In Scotland its spelt Whisky, no e. Personally I like Haggis done in the microwave, its a perfect way of cooking it. I don't think its an acquired taste but, people hear all the stories about the ingredients, this makes a lot of people dislike the idea in the first place but, everyone's taste is different. Enjoy your haggis & Whisky lol.

Reactions: kcy
OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012

with an 'e' in the states and Ireland also but without in Scotland and the rest of the world

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
There's no reason that I can think of but, then I'm not a whisky drinker. It always made me sick, even if I only drank one with no other alcohol :notworthy:
Maybe you should try Whiskey, it's sweeter to the taste and distilled more times than Whisky!

:cooler:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Yes but when is the open season on haggis? I assume after the glorious 12th Steve has a gun licence. So we're good to go
You don't need a gun, just do as @TheCaller says and chose them the opposite way around a mountain to their normal way. They'll end up at the bottom of the hill and are easy to pick up. Also, there is no risk of getting shot in the meat that way.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Also, there is no risk of getting shot in the meat that way.
I had to read that twice before I realised that it was the state of the haggis that you were worried about. :D

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I would give it to the dog and get a couple of lamb chops to have with the neeps. They are much nicer than haggis....(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back