Fast Internet wherever we are (2 Viewers)

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Jim,

Thanks for the really good write-up. Have you used voip much yet? Normally I use WebEx a lot and also normal audio meetings. Currently I don't work much from the motorhome and usually just stick to using my mobile for audio when I have to. I connect using the 3 feel at home service while abroad. This satellite solution might well work for me and give me the ability to fully work while away and that would mean the chance to get away more often and for longer.

My biggest worry is how my wife would react to this. She's spent over 30 years having to deal with me working stupid hours. It would mean getting away more but I'm not sure she would see it that way :)

Allan

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Good article @Jim , I have been converting my Teleco dish for Satellite Internet but also use it at home because we live in rural France where there is no internet and never likely to be. I did actually manage to get through to Satellite Internet and am pleased with their package especially the unlimited use 11pm to 7am UK time for just £7 per month.
The problem I am having is stopping Windows10 from constantly talking to the internet. I find I can get through my 10Gb limit in a week if not very careful to put everything on to standby. Have you found a way to lock it all down? With laptops on WiFi it is a bit easier but I have a PC at home on ethernet and cannot find a way. Even the iPads and phones constantly chatter if not put into flight mode when not in use.
Satellite Internet have now taken on more office staff so their service may be a bit better now.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I know Windows is notorious for downloading stuff without your permission. Sorry I cant help I only use Mac or Linux machines and they seem to do as they are told in that regard.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
I enjoyed reading your articule Jim.
A bit out of my reach at the momoent,but would guess like
everything it will get more accessable to the masses!:cautious:

Reactions: Jim

Daisie

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Selston , Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 vans in 40yrs
As we do not go abroad anymore my answer to connecting to the internet is a little box from EE.
which I hang from a hook in the ceiling of the motorthome

I "Pay as you Go" because I only use it when away camping, there are different options to purchase .

You can also get the same box for about £10.50 month unlimited.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good article @Jim , I have been converting my Teleco dish for Satellite Internet but also use it at home because we live in rural France where there is no internet and never likely to be. I did actually manage to get through to Satellite Internet and am pleased with their package especially the unlimited use 11pm to 7am UK time for just £7 per month.
The problem I am having is stopping Windows10 from constantly talking to the internet. I find I can get through my 10Gb limit in a week if not very careful to put everything on to standby. Have you found a way to lock it all down? With laptops on WiFi it is a bit easier but I have a PC at home on ethernet and cannot find a way. Even the iPads and phones constantly chatter if not put into flight mode when not in use.
Satellite Internet have now taken on more office staff so their service may be a bit better now.
Steve
You can reduce Windows 10 activity by changing the settings to "metered connection". This will still allow priority updates through but these shouldn't amount to much.

The biggest potential use of data is if the device is automatically backing up photos to "the cloud". I can't advise on iPads etc but on Android you can turn off backup in Google photos. Similarly, you can turn off auto update of apps.

If you do a bit of Googling you will find descriptions of how to do these things better than I could explain.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I too enjoyed this article. I am in admiration of these people who create something out of nothing purely out of hard work and dedication. I can see the need for satellite internet in such circumstances and the cost effectiveness.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Plus much much more!

Doubt it looking at the money Funsters pay for their vans and how much they spend on toys! £3k to be able to travel Europe, run a business and keep in touch and home educate their children seem good value

We get customers who will spend £3k on air conditioning for their dogs!

I would lol
Some dogs cost £3000 to buy,,,,,,BUSBY,,,,

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
You can reduce Windows 10 activity by changing the settings to "metered connection". This will still allow priority updates through but these shouldn't amount to much.

That only works if you are on WiFi. There is no "metered connection" setting when connected by Ethernet as all my desktop machines are. But I have written a small batch file now on the desktop to toggle the Internet on and off, like the Aircraft mode on a laptop or tablet. We also remember to switch all mobile devices to Airplane mode when not using them. It is a great pain though. Because some things will not work if not connected to the Internet regardless whether they need it.
Even the government assumes everybody has an ultra fast broadband connection and insists that some things can only be done on the Internet. And insists on constantly loading page after page.
Steve

Reactions: DBK

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
It is possible to do this on an ethernet connection but if a solution has already been found it probably doesn't matter: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...o/ecdaca08-d413-4a6a-9e33-b4afb337fc18?auth=1
Thanks DBK,
I searched and searched and didn't find that, which is why I wrote the script. Anybody who wants a copy then pm me and I will send it, no guarantees etc. as usual, to be used with caution by experienced people, most of whom could of course write it themselves.
I might stick with the script as it totally disables the Internet when activated so useful for other wasteful programs.
@hilldweller desktops and towers don't usually have Wifi functionality as it's not usually necessary. I certainly have not built it into any of my builds.
And for the Linux and Apple enthusiasts there are some things that they just do not do 'economically', for me.
Steve

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Great write up @Jim and thanks for the mention :smiley:

For 'mission critical' internet access then Satellite Internet is still almost the only way to go, most of our sat internet customers supplement this with campsite WiFi and/or mobile broadband to preserve their data allowance for when its necessary.

Lots of people want to know the ins and outs of the TV side of the system too and so we usually send them over to @eddievanbitz for the lowdown. I WILL repay you that bacon butty at Peterborough this year!

We get mixed reports on Broadband Everywhere (overwhelmingly good) - I'd be interested to hear how you find their Fair Usage Policy if you're on one of their 'Unlimited' packages.

You're right about 3/4G roaming - in France for example Orange (Three's roaming partner) don't allow you to use their 4G network. While roaming charges are set to reduce next year, it's still going to be 5p per MB cap (£50+ a GB!) and when the are finally removed in 2017 networks are still allowed to employ data/time limitations on usage :wondering: so you're still right to consider this route in the longer term. But we'll see - it's all a step in the right direction.

Enjoy the sun Jim, no doubt see you at Peterborough next year :smiley:
Great write up @Jim and thanks for the mention :smiley:

For 'mission critical' internet access then Satellite Internet is still almost the only way to go, most of our sat internet customers supplement this with campsite WiFi and/or mobile broadband to preserve their data allowance for when its necessary.

Lots of people want to know the ins and outs of the TV side of the system too and so we usually send them over to @eddievanbitz for the lowdown. I WILL repay you that bacon butty at Peterborough this year!

We get mixed reports on Broadband Everywhere (overwhelmingly good) - I'd be interested to hear how you find their Fair Usage Policy if you're on one of their 'Unlimited' packages.

You're right about 3/4G roaming - in France for example Orange (Three's roaming partner) don't allow you to use their 4G network. While roaming charges are set to reduce next year, it's still going to be 5p per MB cap (£50+ a GB!) and when the are finally removed in 2017 networks are still allowed to employ data/time limitations on usage :wondering: so you're still right to consider this route in the longer term. But we'll see - it's all a step in the right direction.

Enjoy the sun Jim, no doubt see you at Peterborough next year :smiley:
I have just signed up with Broadband Everywhere and so far have mixed feelings.

The service works ok but the 6mbs unlimited package I pay £60 a month for is maxing out at 3mbs (sometimes) and quite often less than 1mbs. I've only had it a few days and although they have been very friendly on the phone I'm still getting less than 1/2 the speed I paid for. I understand their fair use policy but starting to restrict speed after 2gb on an unlimited package seems quite tough. Then again so far I've not had enough speed to make it worth restricting :) I'm currently looking around for a better ISP before my 14 day cancellation runs out.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I'm currently looking around for a better ISP before my 14 day cancellation runs out.
We are with SatelliteInternet.co.uk (BeyonDSL) on their 10Gb per month with unlimited overnight use for £7, so total price of £36.95p.m. You can reset the 10Gb as many times as you wish for £18.
Their Sales Office was a disaster never calling back but I persevered because I liked their package on the Ku band.
I believe they have taken on more staff now so it may be worth giving them a ring.
I am not impressed with their speed either but I think that is the nature of the beast, at least I can get on-line anywhere in Europe just by putting the dish up.
Good Luck.
Steve

JohnRD

Free Member
Sep 9, 2016
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Very soon I hope
Preparing to retire and buy my first MH trying to build a picture of my ideal MH having a good TV system and good communications with WiFi are important for my wife and I. The satellite system appears to be great after the initial outlay with reasonable monthly costs and great coverage across Europe. I wondered if the required dish is available in the dome system which appears to be favoured by many and would avoid the worry of damaging the dish on the MH roof!

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Preparing to retire and buy my first MH trying to build a picture of my ideal MH having a good TV system and good communications with WiFi are important for my wife and I. The satellite system appears to be great after the initial outlay with reasonable monthly costs and great coverage across Europe. I wondered if the required dish is available in the dome system which appears to be favoured by many and would avoid the worry of damaging the dish on the MH roof!

Domes are popular, but looking around it seems they are falling out of favour. I've noticed the dome disappear from a few dealers/fitters websites. The smaller dish in the domes does reduce the working footprint and I don't know of an internet system that uses a dome setup. Also when down, traditional dishes have a lower profile than a dome and are less likely than a dome to be damaged while you travel. yy

JohnRD

Free Member
Sep 9, 2016
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Very soon I hope
Thanks Jim for such a prompt reply I have certainly made a note of your comments and will bear them in mind when decision day comes:D

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Domes are popular, but looking around it seems they are falling out of favour. I've noticed the dome disappear from a few dealers/fitters websites. The smaller dish in the domes does reduce the working footprint and I don't know of an internet system that uses a dome setup. Also when down, traditional dishes have a lower profile than a dome and are less likely than a dome to be damaged while you travel. (y)
Agree with you Jim i will be changing my Maxview Autodome this year, but only because i always get charged more through the tolls, because it puts me over three meters.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have just signed up with Broadband Everywhere and so far have mixed feelings.

The service works ok but the 6mbs unlimited package I pay £60 a month for is maxing out at 3mbs (sometimes) and quite often less than 1mbs. I've only had it a few days and although they have been very friendly on the phone I'm still getting less than 1/2 the speed I paid for. I understand their fair use policy but starting to restrict speed after 2gb on an unlimited package seems quite tough. Then again so far I've not had enough speed to make it worth restricting :) I'm currently looking around for a better ISP before my 14 day cancellation runs out.
like all other suppliers, the 6mb will be a MAX speed, not a guaranteed speed.....too many variables.
we pay for 8mb but never get more than 4mb at home.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Slightly off-topic and definitely gloating but I am at Amação de Pera on my NOS mifi, off the clock...

Screenshot_2016-12-31-05-32-05.png

Happy New Year everyone.

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back