Dometic Rm 8401 on gas saga... (1 Viewer)

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
...anyone have ideas on how to safely loosen/remove a rounded and rusted nut on the propane pipe to burner assembly?
I'm still in Sicily and there are no agents about to ask for help - the fridge is useless on gas (autogas, yellow-tipped flame, so suspect dirty jet) and I'm away for a long time. Tried compressed air to no avail. I'd like to try cleaning the jet before I go down the 'purchase a new one' route (it'll take forever to get here). Also would be interested to hear about having a filter installed - where do I get one and can I fit it myself?
I supposedly had the fridge serviced before I left (two months ago) but judging by the rust on the assembly, and the fact that nut is completely rusted onto the burner thread and won't budge, they didn't touch it. Very frustrating!
Thanks in advance guys -
Jacquie

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you can put something solid against the back of the nut (a spanner or pair of pliers) and then smartly tap the front side of the nut a couple of times with something equally as solid, this usually loosens seized fittings off. Try not to tap it without supporting the back as it won't "shock" the nut enough and might displace something else on the gas line. A squirt of WD40 or similar wouldn't go amiss either, good luck (y)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
You could try to file the flats back onto the nut...I've done that in a previous life (when I was working) and usually succesfull.
Time consuming, and not much space to work in, but you're in no rush.

Allen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you can (and I can't remember whether it's possible on a Dometic) disconnect the other end of the pipe & remove it and the burner as one assembly. Seized fasteners are easily dealt with if a vice or equivalent is available.

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
Thanks lads - I'll have a go at all of the above tomorrow. Keep your digits crossed for me! I've just had to eat three day's worth of slightly dodgy food...

OP
OP
YukonJac

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
If you can (and I can't remember whether it's possible on a Dometic) disconnect the other end of the pipe & remove it and the burner as one assembly. Seized fasteners are easily dealt with if a vice or equivalent is available.
You are a bunch of diamonds! The answer was to disconnect the other end. It was then much easier to bash the hell out of the burner end (just kidding - only careful bashing). It took quite a bit of cursing - but I got it all apart and gave everything a good cleaning - the jet a gentle cleaning in meths. Just fired it up and it seems to me the flue gasses are hotter and the flame is more stable. Have the thermometer in the freezer and will try to be patient and check it a few hours for the final hurrah (hopefully!). Even if it doesn't sort the problem, at least I can eliminate it as a possible fault. Cheers boys -
Jacquie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back