Have you seen how much money they want for a .............. (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Probably not what you are looking for but we were really taken with this 2nd hand IH at Camper UK - rear lounge, felt really spacious
HERE

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Probably not what you are looking for but we were really taken with this 2nd hand IH at Camper UK - rear lounge, felt really spacious
HERE
Already reserved ... how on earth do you make a bed out of those shaped cushions!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Already reserved ... how on earth do you make a bed out of those shaped cushions!
No storage either...you have be joined at the hip to live with a UK layout...go to bed the same time...get up the same time mucking about with bedding every single night.Sorry to me a joke!lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It just seems wrong to me. It's like having a house fronting onto a road and the huge front door opens so all can see into your living room.

I also dislike the back doors for the same reason.

I did see a PVC at a show, a really expensive one, it had a fixed replacement back panel with U shaped lounge, it looked "the business". I don't think they replaced the sliding door but I don't see why the job could not be done properly with new panel with a conventional quiet hab door. Then all you are losing is about half a meter internal width. Hasn't someone done one with a slide ?

IH motor homes do one or two PVCs with the side door replaced with a normal type motor home habitation door.

I for one would buy an IH as they are the top of the tree but absolutely no way would I want that conversion.

Sat down by the river Avon on a Sunday afternoon watching the world and the boats go by with our side door open is a treat...

Claustrophobic is not a fair or reasonable word to use in regards to a modern large Panel Van Conversion.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We modelled our interior of Pug on xlwb rear u shape lounge ih.
But used better quality furniture board, hinges and fixtures.
We were put off actually buying one by looking at a few 2nd hand models that they had for sale.
The ones which had been used , looked it, and put us off . Although they were only 2,3,5 years old, they were well worn.
In fact the older one , all though obviously still well used , was the better quality built one.
The ones that hadn't hadn't been used (eg the previous owners who kept things covered, didn't use the toilet , sink , cooker etc ) I know, but there are people like that , still looked like new.
But we're being sold at a premium. Not much less than a new one !!

We could have bought the back panel and had it fitted and sprayed to match. Terry had a contact, and very kindly told us he could get us one . For us to fit and sort out, but we decided not to.
We only need to open the back doors to get the tables and chairs out. Not to access anything else. Any smaller things like boots etc can be accessed from inside through the bed base doors /lids.
Plus the gap, when the back doors are open, are only from the top of the back rests up, all the way across. If it was chucking it down or blowing a gale you wouldn't want chairs etc out anyway. As said , in the nice weather, with a lovely view it's great to have them open.

As for the side door. We too thought it a down side.
You do have to open it up wide , to swing it shut. Especially if nose down. Plus it is heavy. If you were elderly or infirm you would struggle. But you can get a motorised opener and closer for them now. ( power sliding door motor) Something we would do , further down the line I think. When we start to dodder.
Also the new face lift model sliding door, is so much quieter. They beefed up the mechanism .
Then if you properly insulate it, which lots of PVC doors aren't, it also dulls the thud.
AND if you fit Webasto like Ralph did, you can put a 90 ml vent outlet , on that kitchen panel at floor level. When you open the door it's like walking into a shop with a warm blast ! If the doors open and the temp drops it boosts it right up.
Which also comes in handy for drying your boots , and if you put up a hook as we have , coats etc.

As for being claustrophobic , we haven't found that , at all. In the back there's Windows to both sides and both doors at the back , plus a large roof light above. Big window in the sliding door and then the cab fronts.
We've noticed we've more work top /cooking space than a lot of the bigger vans too.

After all it's 6.4 metres long with front swivel seats, and large Ushape rear. Plenty storage space.
Pvc's just dont have the width that most motorhomes have. But that suits us , going down the narrow off the beaten tracks we like , without scraping bushes , walls, and smashing mirrors!
Not for everyone. Perfect for some. Bit like Rv's , 5 th wheelers.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The electric door closer more trouble then they are worth I'm afraid..nice idea badly implemented unfortunatly

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The electric door closer more trouble then they are worth I'm afraid..nice idea badly implemented unfortunatly
Since we had ours adjusted Eddie it's worked perfectly and we think it's great - for me with problems with my hands/arms now I'm so glad we've got it.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Broken Link Removed. good solid German engineering, not a tinsel truck, and made for people who really camp in them! GRP roof and back, twin flooring layers for winterisation, fixed rear double bed, toilet and shower, and gas hob grill oven and fridge. FIAT cab includes air con ASR, cruise and speed controls. £40k in the UK and cheaper abroad. Mine T132 has a large garage space under the bed and all under 6m

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Maybe controversial but ...................... why not take the medical and/or why insist on new? Both seem to restrict choice dramatically?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Touring Tuscany and Croatia in our first new panel after a leaky coachbuilt in 2011. Convinced me it was a good move...simply being able to park on Tuscan hill top villages in small car parks was a revelation! Then there is the ease of maintaining , cleaning for a start! God big sheds on wheels a pain in the arse both to drive and own:)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I still class myself as a newcomer here . Not only in motorhoming in general but here on this forum.

Sadly there are a few who make derogatory remarks but just ignore them. I actually find that hard to do so don't follow my example ! It is a shame that we have this situation an what is mostly a forum of really top people . Its the internet so I guess its going to happen.

On PVCs I reckon I'm right down the middle. The coach built vans would I think drive me nuts with the rattles and noises these vans make while on the move. I drove quite a few and knew straight away it would be a problem for me.
I/We love the easy portability of our PVC. By that I mean its just so easy to drive and as MHs go cheap to run. Covering distance is a joy and less............. Well stressful. We have no problem with space and claustrophobic does not come into it for a second.

But ........... The problem and its a minor one really is the limitations for gear that a PVC puts on us. We have look long and hard at every single item we buy and make sure we get the smallest lightest item possible. For instance.. We would like an Avtex Snipe system and cannot commit to one unless its fitted up on the roof as a permanent installation. Carrying one around inside the van is not going to happen. Now some say its fine to leave one of those devices up on the roof permanently others say nay.. My research says nay. Result = we don't have one.

Its always a compromise with these vehicles I suppose. Size is great but we don't really want a great big van. Smaller is also great but it means some things are just a wee bit limited.

One thing we really do like is the huge side door. No one has ever even hinted at disquiet over us having one. I cannot imagine anyone complaining either ! We do after all have other doors to get in and out of the van if say one of us wanted to leave the van at unsociable hours. I get up at silly O clock. The idiot in the shower block at 5 in the morning is me. I get up early and just leave by the rear door. Even the gaffer doesn't hear me .

Our motorhomes are a joy to us all. Surely we can respect each others choices by not criticising or putting a damper on any make or type ?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
On PVCs I reckon I'm right down the middle. The coach built vans would I think drive me nuts with the rattles and noises these vans make while on the move. I drove quite a few and knew straight away it would be a problem for me.
FYI..... Elddis coach built I had, yes a symphony of rattling, Carado coach built, a symphony of silence, so until one has tried every coach built on the market it's unwise to make such a generalisation!
Anyway time for my generalisation, at 6'4" I found most PVC's are built for not tall people and people with virtually no stuff to carry around.....I would love to have an all metal frame but the lack of space and tall beds are a deal breaker for me.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Plenty of higherer top german vans around and La Strada make nicest rear lounge van I have ever seen..actually comfortable and a full.size pull down bed above... different leaughe then IH and cheaper although a luxury brand.. Some need to stretch their horizons

OP
OP
parigby

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Plenty of higherer top german vans around and La Strada make nicest rear lounge van I have ever seen..actually comfortable and a full.size pull down bed above... different leaughe then IH and cheaper although a luxury brand.. Some need to stretch their horizons

Hi Judgemental,

Do you know of a UK dealer for La Strada - might be worth giving consideration to, along with looking at a RS PVC second hand.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi Judgemental,

Do you know of a UK dealer for La Strada - might be worth giving consideration to, along with looking at a RS PVC second hand.
They are only good value if you import them.....

Deleted User
It's all down to personal preference I suppose but after 10 years in the coachbuilt, we decided to downside to a PV and don't regret it one bit. We have plenty of storage under the u shape lounge (no less than our old fixed bed) a lounge we can actually "lounge" in and an enourmous bed that takes 5 mins tops to assemble.

Add the fact that driving is a dream (as it the mpg) parking and touring is just less stressful so for us it's an ideal package.

The slidey door is great when you're parked up at the side of a lake/beach and the separate seating areas really comfortable.

I get why some people don't take to PV's but we love ours (and for us that's all that matters!!)

Our last tour was 3 months and we're intending the current one to be similar in length, I don't think we've noticed any reduction in the level of comfort quite the opposite.

Even if it does look like a "delivery van" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

image3.jpg

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
We have an IH and are really pleased with it. We downsized from a Bailey coach built and don't regret it for a minute. Storage not an issue we just went through all our stuff and ruthlessly decided if we needed to keep it or not. Loads of storage now! We have found the after sales from the factory near Leeds excellent. We love the sliding door but as others have mentioned you can have a smaller door if you prefer. Heart stopping price but then each to their own! NEC show coming up so have a day out.....!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It's all down to personal preference I suppose but after 10 years in the coachbuilt, we decided to downside to a PV and don't regret it one bit. We have plenty of storage under the u shape lounge (no less than our old fixed bed) a lounge we can actually "lounge" in and an enourmous bed that takes 5 mins tops to assemble.

Add the fact that driving is a dream (as it the mpg) parking and touring is just less stressful so for us it's an ideal package.

The slidey door is great when you're parked up at the side of a lake/beach and the separate seating areas really comfortable.

I get why some people don't take to PV's but we love ours (and for us that's all that matters!!)

Our last tour was 3 months and we're intending the current one to be similar in length, I don't think we've noticed any reduction in the level of comfort quite the opposite.

Even if it does look like a "delivery van" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

image3.jpg

That is lovely that is !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Well "delivery van" is a statement of fact and I think the "annoying neighbours" came from Jim, our savior. Though I have had the pleasure, "trundle trundle trundle THUD". Ours is "click click", like a Golf.

But in both cases said in the spirit of FUN.

The OP was asking, in desperation, for a 3.5 tonne solution thinking he was stuck with PVC but that is far from the case.

My experience is limited to chrisboyo. First he had a lovely old Hymer that sat four of us is splendid comfort and could easily take more, then he downsized to a PVC and I remember sitting in it, opposing seats, and we were in contact with the person opposite. "What have you done" I thought.

So to the OP I still say, "you can have 3.5t and space".

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

mpg, strength of vehicle, servicing/repairs and water ingress - serious plus points.

Deleted User
Well "delivery van" is a statement of fact and I think the "annoying neighbours" came from Jim, our savior. Though I have had the pleasure, "trundle trundle trundle THUD". Ours is "click click", like a Golf.

My experience is limited to chrisboyo. First he had a lovely old Hymer that sat four of us is splendid comfort and could easily take more, then he downsized to a PVC and I remember sitting in it, opposing seats, and we were in contact with the person opposite.

Some of us buy PVC's to seat two in comfort, don't want to hold a party in it.:)

Then again I am a well known grumpy old anti social git:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

The OP was asking, in desperation, for a 3.5 tonne solution thinking he was stuck with PVC but that is far from the case.

My experience is limited to chrisboyo. First he had a lovely old Hymer that sat four of us is splendid comfort and could easily take more, then he downsized to a PVC and I remember sitting in it, opposing seats, and we were in contact with the person opposite. "What have you done" I thought.

So to the OP I still say, "you can have 3.5t and space".
... maybe he was trying to tell you something ... :rolleyes:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have just been looking very closely at a Lunar Landstar EL at the NEC and the ELS at the dealers at Brighton. It was great as far as most things go BUT the EL has NO aircon??? for £50000+ and the 313 is not the same as the 316 for driving, so it would have to be a ELS and that is £60000 OTR after haggling but it has little payload and load of things I do not want and the awning on top looks like a plumbers pipe tube. They do not do the EL with the bits I do want or the ELS without them. The other thing that worries me is what the insulation actually is, I am told that it is Thinsulate which is good but Glass fibre would be a disaster regarding condensation in a steel bodywork situation for future rust. I do want an MB with that gearbox but the Autosleepers are JUST TOO HEAVY for what I want. I lose my licence soon and that is why I am looking for a sub 3500kgs so I could carry on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back