Hymer Roof Light Leaking.. and a Disaster ;-(( (1 Viewer)

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Jim,

It was from Sept last year, Chris at Premier just emailed me the original invoice which I had lost, he never mentioned any price increase, if they have gone up I wouldn't think it would be by much.

Just sorry I didn't get the info to you sooner.

Pete

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim,

It was from Sept last year, Chris at Premier just emailed me the original invoice which I had lost, he never mentioned any price increase, if they have gone up I wouldn't think it would be by much.

Just sorry I didn't get the info to you sooner.

Pete
no problem Pete.. noted for future reference.. cheers

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I emailed Premier for a quote:

not because I disbelieved Pete, but I wanted the full price for all three items.. also to get the parts list..
so, if they had in stock I would have saved around £30

I paid the following

1. Window £246
  2. Rubber seal £38
  3. Trim £91.20
Total £375.20 .. free post and packing

Estimate from Premier
  1. Window £214.32 Hymer currently have 0 in stock
  2. Rubber Seal £27.48 Hymer currently have 100 in stock
  3. Trim £91.26) Hymer currently have 72 in stock
Total .. £333.06 + Post and packing

A difference of £42.14.. less p&p est. £12 .00 (maybe more) = £30

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
UPDATE

New window , trim and rubber arrived this afternoon.. great service and communication from Brownhills.. thanks Darren .. a star.

You also need (not supplied) are 4 x 8mm Starlock washers to hold the winding arm rods into the holes in the window.. from ebay Broken Link Removed

the rubber seal is a little puckered at the corners, but should bed down when it gets warm.. it's quite cool today

a few pics and one of the broken window :whistle:

View attachment 81485 View attachment 81486 View attachment 81487 View attachment 81488

@ScotJimland When I did mine I measured 8mm for the starlock washers and they were too big, I needed 7mm, be prepared if you haven't started re assembly .

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Blimey, they've gone up a bit then! None in stock now either.

Incidentaly, the Brownhills windows were on ebay at the same price when I looked last year, so it was a huge saving for me.

Also, just out of interest, the bathroom one has a different design from the originals which had slotted vents to let all the dust and muck in and were a right pain to clean, the new one is a completely sealed unit so doesn't get dirty inside, a big improvement

Pete

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@ScotJimland When I did mine I measured 8mm for the starlock washers and they were too big, I needed 7mm, be prepared if you haven't started re assembly

done and dusted yesterday .. and the 8mm starlocks were perfect , in fact they were a bugger to get on.. maybe you had a different make ?

Broken Link Removed

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Jim, did Becks get back to you with a price??

Pete

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim, did Becks get back to you with a price??

Pete
No they haven't, which surprises me.. they are normally give an excellent service.. I blame the 'parts' guy

I was going to phone up and 'remind' them.. but Jan said just to leave it.. doesn't want my BP going up.. :LOL:

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Hey @ScotJimland I am surprised to see timber in the roof, I thought the Hymer PUAL construction was timber free?

Rapid work getting stuck in and sorted :)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hey @ScotJimland I am surprised to see timber in the roof, I thought the Hymer PUAL construction was timber free?

Rapid work getting stuck in and sorted :)

Thanks..
The dark bits are hardwood blocks for the trim screws .. the lighter part is PU ..

mentioned in post #23

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Glad you got it sorted ok and once again when the time comes to do mine I'll know exactly what to do...except the cleaning bit :cry:. Went out and checked mine at first light, no signs of trouble yet.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Glad you got it sorted ok and once again when the time comes to do mine I'll know exactly what to do...except the cleaning bit :cry:. Went out and checked mine at first light, no signs of trouble yet.

we had heavy rain last night.. I'm not long back in from checking mine , glad to say all is dry.. we fuss over them like babies.. don't we.. now I'm watching the other two for signs of water ingress .. :rolleyes: :LOL:..

what I have noticed, the old window is like glass.. it only needs a small bump to break it..
UV degradation no doubt... and probably why @pjay Pete's got smashed by hail..so take great care if you ever need to re-seal..

Last edited:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
we had heavy rain last night.. I'm not long back in from checking mine , glad to say all is dry.. we fuss over them like babies.. don't we.. now I'm watching the other two for signs of water ingress .. :rolleyes: :LOL:..

what I have noticed, the old window is like glass.. it only needs a small bump to break it..
UV degradation no doubt... and probably why @pjay Pete's got smashed by hail..so take great care if you ever need re-seal..[/QUOTE

I gave it an extra special clean oddly enough a month or so ago and it seemed pretty good, even managed to get scratches out from those low bushes and trees! I do get a puddle lie on the RHS when it rains so that would probably be where any trouble would start. I also keep a close eye on the roof seal at the front where the GRP meets the roof as water rushes across that and collects. I've had the vent over the kitchen re-sealed, it's a fiamma fan one put in by previous owner but I had a moan at SMC Motorhomes about it and they did it FOC...which surprised me!

Yes we fuss over them like babies...I've been caught talking with mine :love:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I gave it an extra special clean oddly enough a month or so ago and it seemed pretty good, even managed to get scratches out from those low bushes and trees! I do get a puddle lie on the RHS when it rains so that would probably be where any trouble would start. I also keep a close eye on the roof seal at the front where the GRP meets the roof as water rushes across that and collects. I've had the vent over the kitchen re-sealed, it's a fiamma fan one put in by previous owner but I had a moan at SMC Motorhomes about it and they did it FOC...which surprised me!

Yes we fuss over them like babies...I've been caught talking with mine :love:
I've been caught swearing at mine:censored::censored:.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You also need (not supplied) are 4 x 8mm Starlock washers to hold the winding arm rods into the holes in the window..

ha ha .. guess what..:whistle:

throwing out the cardboard box that the window came in, Jan found a small plastic bag with four Starlock washers and four small plastic bushes .. (not needed but useful spares)

so no need to buy.. and they are also galvanised .. so will change them

12191137_1668207726726925_3954023711818997485_o.jpg

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
ha ha .. guess what..:whistle:

throwing out the cardboard box that the window came in, Jan found a small plastic bag with four Starlock washers and four small plastic bushes .. (not needed but useful spares)

so no need to buy.. and they are also galvanised .. so will change them

12191137_1668207726726925_3954023711818997485_o.jpg

Worth doing Jim the normal ones go rusty quick(y)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Hello Jim, has been a while since the thread was active but just had the same problem as you. The seal between the upper frame and roof is in poor condition and high winds allowed quite a lot of water in where there was none just a few days ago. Also the flat roof allows a deep puddle to build on the LH side of the roof window, on the mechanism side so when it's damp there is a permanent puddle there.

My question is the interior white trim panel. On ours it appears to be seriously bonded on the vertical surfaces of both the upper frame and the white trim where they overlap. Did you come across this?

It's neither possible to pull the trim down or pull the frame up as the bonding is so strong. Before I use a knife to cut through the bonding am I missing something?

Did you use mastic or a bonding Sikaflex to re-seal? Sikaflex will do the job permanently but would have to cut the frame off if it had to be moved. Do have IDL mastic that is used in the caravan industry, but that runs when hot as the Hymer mastic does.

I didn't refit spire clips to the 4 window operating arms, instead re-fitted the plastic bearings and drilled a hole through the rod where the spire clip fits. To this I fitted a coated flat washer and a split pin to hold it all in place, much easier to remove than spire clips with no danger of cracking the dome/window when removing spire clips. I may fit 'R' clips in place of split pins if I can find the right size.

Thanks for any info

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi
After removing the fixing screws, the white plastic trim came off easily.. there was evidence of adhesive on the back but it had lost it's adhesion.
Due to age, the plastic was yellow with a lot of fine cracks.. the rubber seal was also perished.. I replaced both..

After removing the fixing screws from the aluminium frame, I used a metal scraper to free it from the roof.. When I got it off, I cleaned both it and the roof with a plastic scraper and finally white spirit on a rag to get both absolutely clean..

I used 32mm wide x 2.5 mm W4 mastic on a roll for sealing.. it is very easy to use.. no mess and ensures an even layer of mastic..

from this ebay seller.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-M...256586?hash=item3f40bfe18a:g:WaAAAOxyCbFTlxBB

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi
After removing the fixing screws, the white plastic trim came off easily.. there was evidence of adhesive on the back but it had lost it's adhesion.
Due to age, the plastic was yellow with a lot of fine cracks.. the rubber seal was also perished.. I replaced both..

After removing the fixing screws from the aluminium frame, I used a metal scraper to free it from the roof.. When I got it off, I cleaned both it and the roof with a plastic scraper and finally white spirit on a rag to get both absolutely clean..

I used 32mm wide x 2.5 mm W4 mastic on a roll for sealing.. it is very easy to use.. no mess and ensures an even layer of mastic..

from this ebay seller.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARAVAN-M...256586?hash=item3f40bfe18a:g:WaAAAOxyCbFTlxBB
Good stuff that - I've removed a rooflight (to fit a bigger one) 10 years after I used it & the mastic was as good as the day I installed it.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Jim, do you have a part No. for the trim please, I'll get a price here in France and give a comparison.

Very good speaking with you, the invite is genuine

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Cost of the white trim for the large central roof light from a Hymer dealer in Clermont Ferrand, France is £85.55 including taxes at today's exchange rate of 1 GBP = 1.28 €. Not in stock in France but 7 - 10 days to order in.

Hope this helps

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Jim,
I have a problem with the small rooflight above the cab bed. There is nylon cord loose, dont know how it happened it was working
one minute then the cord was hanging.

If I undo the inside trim screws, 8 i think, can I just remove the blind cassette, is it not that simple,
Thanks in advance,
Lloyd.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim,
I have a problem with the small rooflight above the cab bed. There is nylon cord loose, dont know how it happened it was working
one minute then the cord was hanging.

If I undo the inside trim screws, 8 i think, can I just remove the blind cassette, is it not that simple,
Thanks in advance,
Lloyd.

yes.. and you can buy new cassette blinds for roof lights.. but it may be repairable..

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you - off to try now, will report back.

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
OK, got it out with no problems.
I can see the problem - the trim is brittle and has broken where the metal stop on the end of the cord catches, lettibng it through.

I think I need a new trim - its marked Remis 10007175 as per attached photos - where am I likely to be able to get one?
Thanks,
Lloyd.

Window Trim above bed.JPG Window Cassette above bed.JPG

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Jim,
I only need the trim really - will call them tomorrow - might be lucky.
Lloyd.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back