c build
Exp
6 yr
well iv had a reply from these looks like this might be the way to go
p@remmington.plus.com
cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Going to be the logic chip (loss of coms).

£207.50 ISH.

About 50% of the price of a new one I would guess.

Beware these suffer wiring faults, so testing the unit would be worth the £46.50 as it could have nothing wrong with it off the vehicle.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
My new replacement done under warranty was around £200, and that was with a Fiat main dealer mind you I think Elite Motorhomes did some haggling with them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Mine has come on after I allowed the main battery to go flat over Christmas. Tried my ODB reader which doesn't show any errors, so I guess I need to take it to an independent or dealer. Occasionally as I'm driving, the passenger orange light will come on (babyseat facing backward?), but that then goes off again, so beginning to wonder if it's a wiring fault . . .

OP
OP
2bob
Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
another up date for my ecu
We have tested the unit again and again and con find no fault.

We think the unit software may have go corrupted with the multiple attempts to connect to it with the wrong protocol (diagnostic equipment)

The log files inside the unit are full with files generated with poor diagnostic boots.

But as a stand alone unit away from the loom it works A1 100% OK.

So this has left you with two issues.

You have a wring fault and this unit may need re-flashing?

costs:

£44.50 to test

£85.00 to flash (which may not solve your problem)

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
costs:

£44.50 to test

£85.00 to flash (which may not solve your problem)
Nice work if you can get it.Mine's been on for a while now (2004 renault master) renault forums suggest a dealer as ordinary tester wont even bring up the codes,local garage connected their Snap-on tester it brought up open circuit codes suggested probably the clock spring also.I'll get round to it when I get back.

OP
OP
2bob
Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
LEFTlegger thas what might be on mine the clock spring
have to find out how to check it out

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
looks like an ebay search for a part :)

OP
OP
2bob
Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
the latest up date all wiring all ok
so it looks like a new ecu ouch £400-26p

?

Deleted User
Under the seat it would only be the wires for the seat belt warning, the air bag on the drivers side is in the top of the steering column and under the dash on the passenger side. Not advisable to play around with air bags unless you fully understand them and know what you are doing otherwise it can result in serious injury.

My Fiat car had airbag sensors under the seat. If no one is in the seat and the car gets rammed the bags dont go off pr if i was in a prang with no passenger the other airbag would not go off. I had the warning in this Fiat car and gave the under seat connectors a clean and it was fine there after.

Steering wheel ribbon a likely culprit!

That was the problem on my old Pug. They were quite expensive from what i remember so took a visit to the scrap yard. Easy to change though.

OP. If dicking about with airbag connectors its recommended to disconnect the battery for half an hour before you do to defuse the system.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I bought one off eBay for our Smart car. It cost me £30 less than a new one. After I'd removed the old one I thought I'd take a look at it out of curiosity and found that the cover screw, which was hidden under 'don't tamper glue', also connected the unit to earth. It was loose so I tightened it & cured the problem. Incidentally no resetting was needed once the ECU was functional again.

As for dangerous: well they are if you are less intelligent than the parts-changer that passes for a motor engineer these days. It isn't rocket science - just disconnect the starter battery whilst working on the airbag circuitry.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I bought one off eBay for our Smart car. It cost me £30 less than a new one. After I'd removed the old one I thought I'd take a look at it out of curiosity and found that the cover screw, which was hidden under 'don't tamper glue', also connected the unit to earth. It was loose so I tightened it & cured the problem. Incidentally no resetting was needed once the ECU was functional again.

As for dangerous: well they are if you are less intelligent than the parts-changer that passes for a motor engineer these days. It isn't rocket science - just disconnect the starter battery whilst working on the airbag circuitry.
Oh dear! you are destined to learn the hard way
This must qualify as the most dangerous advice ever given
G

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Oh dear! you are destined to learn the hard way
This must qualify as the most dangerous advice ever given
G
Taken directly from the Smart car service manual as it happens. There are other precautions mentioned - mainly about no-one being in the vehicle when the battery is re-connected - but nothing else. The airbag contains a detonator which requires an electrical impulse to trigger it and it did occur to me that there might be instructions about leaving time for any capacitors to discharge. But there wasn't: just a simple instruction to disconnect the battery. I've no doubt that there is more information about handling and storage but as I wasn't doing either I fail to see why what I wrote constitutes " the most dangerous advice ever given" ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back