Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Your neighbours will think you have a vendetta against them!! Flying socks and loud bangs! Seriously can't be to careful with gas so check it all out ASAP and stay safe!!(y)

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I've just seen the news .... !! :Eeek:

La%20marina.jpg

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Think it's suspiciously quiet, do you think Ian has been kidnapped by the Germans after him trying to blow up their awning :smirk:

Mother Ship

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2011
Jersey
Funster No
MH
Pilote 626D
Exp
Since 1986
Maybe another disaster cleaning the loo!!!:madder::madder:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
IAN. If you try to light the gas WITHOUT first removing the cover, it will not light, OR it will briefly light and the pressure will blow the cover off !!
Its a safety feature because it is a vented flue, the exhaust is in the centre and the fresh air is drawn in around it.
Now you don't have to worry about taking it off first, because you've blown it to bits !!!!
A self solving problem !!
Mitch. (y)(y)(y)
Hi Jenny & Mitch.

Ian's Truma heating system operates differently from the method you describe (Ultrastore/Ultraheat). There is no removable cover for the Trumatic C3402 and 6002 boilers, which can be operated with the boiler empty if preferred.

I mean the gauge is to the top of the red marked area!! Is this bad??? Could it be cause of problem?
That is scary Ian, as the float inside the bulk tank, or refillable cylinders should have cut off at the 80% fill.
Can you confirm that it is a refillable system you are using, and not ordinary (non refillable) cylinders.
You are very lucky that you didn't have jets of ignited liquid gas coming out of your gas rings, and it's probably because the fridge is on 240v, (rather than on gas) that you have been lucky not to have damaged that too.

Please be careful if using the hob rings for heating, (not recommended) and burning off the excess gas from the system. If there is insufficient ventilation, there is a severe risk of being overcome by Carbon Monoxide (CO) which is a silent killer. I kid you not.

I personally wouldn't be happy using my gas appliances, knowing that the system has been overfilled (especially if a refillable system). Even ordinary cylinders are not filled to capacity by the gas company, eg, Calor, Flogas, Repsol, Sepsol, etc. They all require a 20% space for expansion, and for the LPG to gas off. Cylinders have a tare weight and a full weight, and the figure in between, is the weight of the gas, (1 x Kg = 2 x litres gas) which allows for that expansion space at the top of the cylinder, where the valve is.

Good luck, and stay safe. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi Jenny & Mitch.

Ian's Truma heating system operates differently from the method you describe (Ultrastore/Ultraheat). There is no removable cover for the Trumatic C3402 and 6002 boilers, which can be operated with the boiler empty if preferred.

That is scary Ian, as the float inside the bulk tank, or refillable cylinders should have cut off at the 80% fill.
Can you confirm that it is a refillable system you are using, and not ordinary (non refillable) cylinders.
You are very lucky that you didn't have jets of ignited liquid gas coming out of your gas rings, and it's probably because the fridge is on 240v, (rather than on gas) that you have been lucky not to have damaged that too.

Please be careful if using the hob rings for heating, (not recommended) and burning off the excess gas from the system. If there is insufficient ventilation, there is a severe risk of being overcome by Carbon Monoxide (CO) which is a silent killer. I kid you not.

I personally wouldn't be happy using my gas appliances, knowing that the system has been overfilled (especially if a refillable system). Even ordinary cylinders are not filled to capacity by the gas company, eg, Calor, Flogas, Repsol, Sepsol, etc. They all require a 20% space for expansion, and for the LPG to gas off. Cylinders have a tare weight and a full weight, and the figure in between, is the weight of the gas, (1 x Kg = 2 x litres gas) which allows for that expansion space at the top of the cylinder, where the valve is.

Good luck, and stay safe. (y)

Cheers,

But surely when the gauge says full it means to the 80% we have a gasit system with the gauge on the outlet at the top and that goes right as far as it will go, but it's only to the cutoff , don't know what type of gauge Ian has but if it's similar to ours , saying full doesn't mean it's over full.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
I'm getting worried, it's all gone quiet !

Are you ok Ian? :emo:

Me too now, Ian's last post (hope not):eek: was at 8.29, he's either stuck in the elsan disposal place, the shower, possibly sunbathing, its hot here today :sun: or ??????

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
But surely when the gauge says full it means to the 80% we have a gasit system with the gauge on the outlet at the top and that goes right as far as it will go, but it's only to the cutoff , don't know what type of gauge Ian has but if it's similar to ours , saying full doesn't mean it's over full.
Hi Chaser,

Ian's description, "I mean the gauge is to the top of the red marked area!! "

Red at the top of the gauge, indicates full. We have no way of knowing if the cylinder did knock off at the 80% or not. Red at the base of the gauge indicates empty or getting low. Some gauges start from yellow, (low) through green, then to red.
Our gauge doesn't use colours, but figures, ie, capacity. It cuts off at 80%, leaving a quarter of the gauge which is never read. I would have expected a coloured gauge to show the same, ie, needle off the full mark when 80% filled.

Cheers,

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Ok

Ok tigger, but could that have caused the vent cap to have been blown off??
The possibilities that have mean mentioned (tank overfull, pressure high, liquid in pipes) would have been very, very obvious when you lit the hob. If the hob appeared to be normal then pressure isn't over-high. Most likely, as has been suggested, is a build-up in the boiler when it didn't light first time. You didn't have the removable (travel) cover on the flue did you?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
You didn't have the removable (travel) cover on the flue did you?
No he didn't, as I have explained in my post above Tony.

Cheers,

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
all the crap i have had and am still enjoying it latest mishap washed my phone will try and get a cheap one in gibralter vodaphone is what they are advising dont look back keep going forwards,sights like this make it worthwhileView attachment 92483
Saw you this morning as we were going into Gibraltar - I recognised your numberplate from your avatar. Did you have a good day?

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Haha good evening all !!! I'm still alive !!
I made it to Gus Lopez and I been sitting drinking tea and sorting the problem!! Got leaky tap fixed. And boiler and heating all good. Havnt had anything done but on my travels I will get it sorted!! Don't worry cause I'm not !!

The advice about the loo is much appreciated and the loo paper trick will be bought into action at the next opportunity!!

The caravan place in Lorca can't help though so I am going to go back to caravan crux on my way back from Portugal if I don't find anywhere sooner, the reason I didn't go today was they told me on the phone they had a big show in Madrid this week and the workshop is shut!! And I didn't want to be there for a week .. Gus has had a look and we have decided when I get a service I should get a new regulator as well !! And I have Sussed a little trick. When I wake up in the morning I shall turn the hob on first to release excess gasses if any and all done !!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
When I wake up in the morning I shall turn the hob on first to release excess gasses if any and all done !!!
TBH Ian, in the 11 x years we've been using the same heating system as yours, not once have we suffered the problem you had this morning. I hope it doesn't happen to you again. (y)

Cheers,

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
jock I know what the problem was mate. I think. My gauge is working correctly and when he filled it up he was holding the button in for ages. I told him to stop before the red line but he was talking to his mate and paid no attention, In fact I had to grab the pump off him and release it from the inlet!! When i looked at gauge it was right at the top of the red and it was just too full !! I assume no space for excess air or vapour so when I put heating on it blew the excess out the vent hence blowing the cap apart!! Me and gus have released a lot of gas now to halfway in the red and she has fired up lovely. Just a simple case of overfilling !! I am still going to get a new regulator though!!! When I filled it to 80percent last time all has been fine !!

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
The possibilities that have mean mentioned (tank overfull, pressure high, liquid in pipes) would have been very, very obvious when you lit the hob. If the hob appeared to be normal then pressure isn't over-high. Most likely, as has been suggested, is a build-up in the boiler when it didn't light first time. You didn't have the removable (travel) cover on the flue did you?

Tony I think the regulator is faulty and needs replacing!!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Me and gus have released a lot of gas now to halfway in the red and she has fired up lovely. Just a simple case of overfilling !! I am still going to get a new regulator though!!! When I filled it to 80percent last time all has been fine !!
I thought it had to be to do with overfilling. Glad you are sorted, with Gus's help. (y)

Cheers,

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm a bit confused (and very concerned) Ian. I know that isn't unusual for me but still....

Our refillable gas cuts out at 80%, it's not possible to overfill and as the filler is on the outside we aren't looking at the gauge when we do fill. Is that not the case with your system? If it isn't I would get it checked out asap as a recipe for disaster.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
ian mate, with all the fun and games you are having.

i've phoned the bbc and they told me they are looking for a new comedy programme.

i've told all your tales and travel to them, but monies tight at the mo, so could you find someone to record it all , and they will look at it.

or you could just sent it to" youve been framed" and make £250 a time

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Has anybody considered a faulty pump fittin at garage!!! He tried two pumps and the first didn't work at all. Then he even went to his tank and played with valves !! I only say this because when it was filled upon arriving in Spain I never had the problem. The bloke filled it and it cut out at or before the red on gauge at a reading of 80 percent!!! It can't be impossible that the garages pump was not faulty !!!!! I'm not laying blame but just trying with Gus to work through it !! And the first pump he tried to use nothing worked but a horrible noise was heard!!! And he was leaning hard on button!! While talking shit to his mate!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Well I don't know enough about garage pumps to say if that is a possibility Ian. You will know better when you fill up again.

I think I would still get it checked out.

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Without a doubt puddle!! Full boiler service and new regulator will be the minimum. I just have to find someone to do it!! But can they do it with a full tank of gas I now ask myself?????

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
They can disconnect the gas at the cylinder Ian. Shouldn't be a problem.

You did turn off the gas at the cylinder when you filled up didn't you?????

Last edited:
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Helga is your home, you need to look after her for her to look after you!

Glad you are in one piece and have found Gus.

Look after yourself too so you can keep entertaining us! :p

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
If I get blown out of bed in the night I will let you all know!! Last seen a bloke wrapped in a quilt heading for Murcia at 4,000 ft !!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back