Anniversary Waltz (more of a Wander) through France (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Bless you Dawn, couldn't believe it when I read it, checked the email that even Bev had seen and printed out!! (luckily for me)

rang Eurotunnel the moment I saw your post, put on hold without speaking to anybody (that really annoys me :mad:) but needs must, then bang on half past 5 regardless of how important they kept telling me my call was they cut me off :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

But Dawn @Mousy, being the true trooper we know and love, had by now looked up and messaged me our frequent traveller details which I don't have with me (at daughters), plus password etc so I have been online and amended the booking.

We are now going (officially) tomorrow, but had to lose a couple of days at other end, weekend of 20+21 is fully booked, so now returning on the Friday, we have builders arriving on 22nd

Phew!! and many, many thanks Dawn xx

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Paul@Easyliving thanks for the video of the aire really lovely Aire and town will use it later in the year hopefully! Enjoy your trip!!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Bless you Dawn, couldn't believe it when you said it, checked the email that even Bev had seen and printed out!! (luckily for me)

rang the moment I saw your post, put on hold without speaking to anybody (that really annoys me :mad:) but needs must, then bang on half 5 past regardless of how important they kept telling me my call was they cut me off :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

But Dawn @Mousy, being the true trooper we know and love, had by now looked up and messaged me our frequent traveller details which I don't have with me (at daughters), plus password etc so I have been online and amended the booking.

We are now going (officially) tomorrow, but had to lose a couple of days at other end, weekend of 20+21 is fully booked, so now returning on the Friday, we have builders arriving on 22nd

Phew!! and many, many thanks Dawn xx
Wow what luck!! Enjoy your trip! And congratulations on future grand baby !!(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Must admit David, Martin and I are sat watching the rugby and having a slight giggle at your antics, so glad Bev couldn't give you a hard time and even gladder that you are now booked on the train tomorrow. Hope you have an amazing time and we look forward to following this thread.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi David just a thought. Arques aire about 27 miles from Calais, locked at 9pm unlocked 7 am nice aire beside a resevoir and water feature park just outside small campsite MUNICIPAL CAMPING BEAUSEJOUR, RUE MICHELET
GPS COORDS: N50.74538 E02.30448
Link Removed

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I feel a need to start every post with more thanks to Dawn @Mousy without whom we would right now probably still be parked up at Folkestone (see above posts) so thank you again Dawn xx

We got down to book in at 11:30, I went to bed thinking we haven't allowed enough time for tomorrow, eventually woke up properly at 7 and we decided to get up, had a coffee and move off site just before 8 with a predicted 4 hour drive and a last check in of 11:45, hence my earlier concerns, that I don't appear to have done much to appease o_O

Set off in sunshine, nice treat after possibly one of the wettest days Birmingham has had for some time, drove through some really deep floods near daughters in their new to them A5, bit worrying at times, by the time they went back the road was closed, so sun today was nice, by Oxford it was persisting again, but by the M25 sunny again (y)

I hate the M25 with a passion, busy, with aggressive drivers, and the concrete sections near the Gatwick turn, what are they doing these days, it might just be our wheelbase but it feels really bad.

Needed fuel, couldn't really decide between Clacket Lane fill, or splash and dash and find some cheaper further down, ÂŁ1.11 at Clacket Lane decided we were short on time and I couldn't be bothered to stop again, so filled and carried on down to the Chunnel.

edit from Bev (I don't usually allow such intervention but she is reading while I type) the main reason for stopping at Clacket Lane was the dreaded yellow light, I have all sorts of self inflicted issues, flat batteries due to inverter abuse and so far not yet in MH but have run out of fuel in just about every car we have had, even I don't want it to happen again, end of edit, just fed Bev a large G + T :)

When the turbo was done (long story see other thread if you haven't already) I hoped we might improve our mpg, it would appear not so, 18mpg on the 180 miles from Birmingham to Folkestone :( so no hope here with recovering repair costs, but I am so happy just to be able to drive the thing and not fear the worst

Arrived in plenty (10 minutes) of time to get our booked crossing, found the dump area as usual barriered off, but decided it was just a deterrent this time, backed in over trough and let go with both barrels. So to back up a few posts, the site said a definite no to dumping even blended black down with grey, so Folkestone have benefitted (y)

Walk Lola round, machine says boarding in 12 minutes, Bev has kettle on, but 5 minutes walk later board changes to loading now ending in 5 minutes Oh Please!, so kettle off, no coffee :(, move round to queue by which time they check gas is turned off, so no option for reuse of kettle, I try to convince Bev it will be alright, but no, luke warm coffee it is, but better than none(y)

On to the train, to plan next phase of journey.......................................................

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hurrah your on the train under the channel. You will emerge and new adventures unfold! The G and T sounds a great idea! Let us know how you get on ! ( I hate the traffic jam that is called the M25 aswell! )We have taken to setting off at midnight and arriving at Dover at 6am short ferry crossing then drive away from Calais to an aire inland for a nap! The service stations are eerily quiet at 3am in the morning and not much open!! Hope you find sun!:sun:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we decided, (mainly due to my completely mucking up the crossing booking :unsure:) to make decent progress today, and are now parked up at La Mailleraye sur Seine, a nice location, we arrived at just before 6, I am now cross with myself as the boulangerie was still open, but we didn't stop, closed by the time we walked back.

Only 6 of us here, for those that have been before the river side pitches are water logged and would need a brave attempt to use, so we are parked back to the wall, lovely view of river :)

planning for tomorrow, with cross reference to @sedge thread for best ever aires (many thanks for your timing)

Looking at about 150 miles or so tomorrow, with Hypermarket en route to appease Bev (keep her on side at least) (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
tonights tea was kind of sorted, we knew there would be no shops open due to Sunday arrival, half hoped for a bar option, not to be, but no problem as we have chilli and half baked bread, that will do nicely (y)

problem is Bev found 2 x extra crunchy Walkers crisps for ÂŁ1 yesterday, I then fed her 2 x G+ T. we don't do small or weak G + T's, crisps now all gone, tea might not happen now :)

can't decide between ginger biscuits and more G + T, save the chilli, or should we really eat properly and have the chilli tonight :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Haha the hypermarket better have plenty of gin and tonic!! At this rate you will have supped it all ! :wine:( couldn't find a G and T smilie so posted wine one!)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Nice aire at
LA SUZE SUR SARTHE
N47.88928 E00.03069
This Aire is situated in a large gravel car park, next to & overlooking the Sarthe River and with parking under mature trees -- a very picturesque spot. Plenty of spaces available here & no problem manoeuvring. There is an AireServices service point with a small grey drainage grid. Town centre & shops are 300m away across the river.

3 euro's a night

About 135 miles from you, south of Le mans towards Angers

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Bless you Dawn, couldn't believe it when I read it, checked the email that even Bev had seen and printed out!! (luckily for me)

It really is a sort of walking disaster area around you isn't it ?:)
Even when you have no unfortunately occurring or recurring problems that aren't of your own making you generate some yourself. :LOL:
Going on holiday a week earlier than booked :LOL: Good job it was pointed out as your life wouldn't have been worth living.:D:D

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I am beginning to wonder if DavidG58 is related to ianthebuilder.:sneaky:

God help Europe if they ever arrive at the same aire.:whistle:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all

We did have the chilli for anybody concerned I am not eating properly :) I then promptly fell asleep to work on properly absorbing the Gin, while Bev watched Vera on the excellent satellite reception

Absolutely poured with rain in the night, but we woke to glorious sunshine

IMG_1444.JPG
IMG_1445.JPG

Journey planning on going, we have 2 tom toms much to Bevs disgust, the original is going back in my man drawer later today it opts for far too many small roads, the new one is a new to us but oldish truck version with our dimensions pre-entered so generally should be better, seems to be so far, so we are heading generally towards Le Mans, with three voices telling what to do for now............................

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Started raining almost as soon as we left, Bev popped into the boulangerie and we set off to find a stop off for breakfast

only gone a few miles when we had to brake pretty hard for a family of boar to run across the road, Mum and 6 young, nice sight, probably running from the local hunt, as usual plenty of signs that they are out

I like this 'feature' on roadworks traffic lights, count down to green

IMG_1447.JPG

had a minor worry, could smell exhaust fumes inside while waiting at the lights, seemed odd, I wonder / worry / panic that we have an oil leak onto the exhaust following recent work, as we pulled off through roadworks, beep from dash to say door open, hab door cant have been quite shut, then popped onto half catch as we moved.

Bev despatched as we lurched over bumpy roadworks to sort door, exhaust smell soon goes, result, now need something else to worry about

Oh yes, fuel light is just about to come on and we are only getting about 18 mpg, already looked at one auto pay option, but 3m height limit and I really cant get my head around these auto pay things, there really do seem to be far fewer fuel options in France now

So hopefully we will get to Le Mans, either that or we will be parked somewhere no more than 40 miles from here :LOL:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
David - south of Le Mans is a town called La Flèche. Beautifull
Place with a river running through it. Free MH parking in the town on the bank of the river and a municipal site on the other side of the river ( there is a bridge!!!) the riverside parking is in the all the aires book. Worth a stop if you're that way! Oh - and plenty of bars and restaurants along the town side of the river right opposite the MH parking(y)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
David - south of Le Mans is a town called La Flèche. Beautifull
Place with a river running through it. Free MH parking in the town on the bank of the river and a municipal site on the other side of the river ( there is a bridge!!!) the riverside parking is in the all the aires book. Worth a stop if you're that way! Oh - and plenty of bars and restaurants along the town side of the river right opposite the MH parking(y)
Seconded. And there is a Leclerc supermarket with fuel just before you get to the town.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So, we had La Fleche / La Suze, big decisions needed :), OK so went for the easiest and last read, not sure I was overly swayed by BD's reference to plenty of places to eat / drink and FREE, OK so yes I was, free it is (y)

But not to be..................

Anyway, we pulled out of the lunchtime (breakfast really) layby, Bevs first words 'how are we doing for fuel?', so not wanting to start lying to her so early into our trip :LOL: had to say, 'OK, light not on, but will not be long' to which I got in reply 'why do you do it?' followed by one of those pauses I never really know whether she wants an answer or if it is simply to reinforce her frustration with me. I keep stum and we drive on with me turning to prayer again for assistance

Blow me, over the next brow, a Total service area, middle of nowhere and 99 cents / litre cheapest we have seen so far, so fill up count my blessings and promise not to let it go below 1/4 full ever again :(

Back to trip, now sat nav (down to one now / plus Bev) set for La Fleche, all good, very blowy, but we had seen your weather and it looked to be getting worse the further south you went and we are even further south (y) so expected it. Got to La Fleche in plenty of time to shop then eat :):), great except the fair is parked in the whole car park, so look at La Suze which is now slightly back for us, so we rule it out. Pull into Super U car park and buy enough for tea

Then head further south, look for nearest aire, tried the whole village, nothing to be seen, and nothing to inspire us to stay there, so on we go again, next Bauge has 2 aires, both free, one charges for water the other doesn't, but one looks nicer, so gets the vote

Well I really do not know what happened with the route planning, but I blame the French :D, they do have a habit of plenty of signs till you really need them and they appear to stop, it could be that I blindly followed TT thinking it is now the truck one it will not do anything daft :doh: , oh yes it might

We turned into the town centre, found a lovely car park that looked like it was probably going to be the place and only 400 yds on according to TT so it must be

As I turned right TT cuckooed at me, a setting I have chosen when a route of no exit has been picked, it will be alright says I confidently we are here, no we weren't and the car park had both a market still in place and barriers. TT says turn right down a no entry, so we carry straight on, at one point we had less than 100mm in total I reckon between parked cars and lampposts. No harm done though got through, came to very narrow crossroads, straight on now not an option, left was out of town, so two goes at it to turn right then spot sign for aire, at least it was this way, but hardly the 'right' way.

Follow this road it opens out as we approach the aire, a much more obvious way in now from the other side and almost certainly a shorter way in o_O

An OK aire, walked into town looking for eating options, nothing excites, so back for chicken wot not

panda

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
notts
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1996
it's a joy to read your posts, they really bring back memories. You seem to get in the same pickles as we used to. Mind you I have trained Michael to fill up before 1/4 full, since we virtually ran out in the wilds of Ameria in Spain!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David, we reckon it's usually the last 100 meters of the journey that have the greatest potential to go wrong, work for us anyway.

You would have been OK for fuel as you do have that spare 10 litres in the garage after the last time, don't you?.

Martin

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
David, as someone who was once on first name terms with the AA man as I continually ran out of petrol, I feel for you..

Just a heads up to you, Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th (your wedding anniversary?) are looking very busy re restaurants. I don't know if you can work out where you will be this weekend but it might be worth having a Google and booking somewhere, as you know we will be in Bruges and a lot of the restaurants we wanted to try are fully booked.
If your happy eating in, then you will be ok. (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had a mini mishap today, the wind really very strong at times and there was a fair bit of 'stuff' being chucked around by the wind, at one point I just caught sight of a small branch as it dropped right in front of us, rattled a little as it passed under but though nothing much of it

Got to site had a better look, the cover plate for the towing eye has done one, hardly the end of the world, but colour coded will be an expensive component if I bother, what I have realised though is we don't even have a towing eye o_O

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David, we reckon it's usually the last 100 meters of the journey that have the greatest potential to go wrong, work for us anyway.

You would have been OK for fuel as you do have that spare 10 litres in the garage after the last time, don't you?.

Martin

we have had that conversation, the answers not surprisingly are no and no, but an empty container is at least on the shopping list for tomorrow now Bev is involved

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well I really do not know what happened with the route planning, but I blame the French :D, they do have a habit of plenty of signs till you really need them and they appear to stop

Oh Don't you tell me! I yell in my car when this happens to me! Arggggg ! I don't know who is planning the signs on the roads , but indeed , it is a B****Y habit they have to forget to put signs when we really need them!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
@DavidG58 Don't forget to tell me David if you want me to book a nice restaurant for you 2 on Sunday the 14th. As I told you, I can drive you and come back to pick you up afterwards! So you can drink all you want , no prob!
But the longer you wait , the more difficult it gets to find a nice and cosy one without paying a fortune!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58 Don't forget to tell me David if you want me to book a nice restaurant for you 2 on Sunday the 14th. As I told you, I can drive you and come back to pick you up afterwards! So you can drink all you want , no prob!
But the longer you wait , the more difficult it gets to find a nice and cosy one without paying a fortune!

Thank you Frankie, as I have messed up my channel crossing we will have been to you and left before the weekend, but very grateful for the offer, it might be a Big Mac somewhere, or a cosy meal in MH :)

See you probably on Thursday, we are most likely going to Parc Verger tomorrow night, then Blayes, then you (y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
what I have realised though is we don't even have a towing eye o_O
I don't know about Mercedes, but on a Fiat, you remove the towing eye cover & there's nothing there either, other than a female thread into which to screw a towing eye. You have to go & get the towing eye out of the toolkit & screw it in. As the converters install the Electrobloc where Fiat think the toolkit is supposed to live (under the passenger seat), the toolkit was just chucked anywhere on delivery. By the time the van is on its second or third owner, who knows! :(

But as you have new batteries, plenty of fuel, a working turbo, built in lifting gear to help get you out of the mud, what would you ever need a towing eye for ..... ? :whistle:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all, another really blustery day, set off in light rain with strong gusts of wind, stopped to buy bread in next village, then almost immediately drove past a picnic area as it was on the 'wrong side' of the road, bound to be another soon. Nope, about 30 miles later we are stopped at another 'on the wrong side of the road'

Been battered by another lump of woo off overhead trees, not looked yet to if anything missing

I have today had a serious lesson in Bevs interpretation of map work, while we were route planning with map out, Bev says please a couple of post its on map to help me see where are going, now our atlas has just been upgraded but our old 2012 map looked like something you would find up a Tibetan mountain, festooned doesn't even get near

So we set off, Bev gets map on her knee and immediately says where are the post its? I thought I had done good this time, 2 were correctly placed at point of departure and arrival, that fulfilled my view of 'a couple'

Well apparently there should have some at all page changes and any other points that Bev thought we needed

Oh well, at least we are only dong 150 miles today to Parc Verger :)(y)(y) and the sun is now out but the wind is still going for it big time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back