Avtex DVD/TV - playing stuff off USB/HDD - help please (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have an Avtex combi TV/DVD player - when we go away we like to take stuff we've recorded at home so at present have to put them onto DVD but if we could instead put them onto a hard drive to link to the TV it would be a lot better as, quite apart from anything else, it would mean we don't end up lugging and juggling around DVDs!

The Avtex has USB input and we can record to USB but if we want to play stuff from a USB that's been transferred onto it, ie NOT recorded via the Avtex, it won't have it - hubby's tried all sorts to get it to work (Fat32 etc) but to no avail.

So, has any one managed to get an Avtex TV/DVD player to accept and play programmes from a USB/HDD not recorded on the Avtex? Or is there another way of getting the TV to play them???

I have another question about 'home' PVRs/recorders but will do that on another thread.

Help!

Deleted User
hi Mel,

We have loads of dvd's and box sets stored on a portable hard drive which we watch on our Avtex (we're working our way through prison break during this holiday!)

I have found that our Avtex will only play MP4 format through the hard drive. I have converted all the windows formats to MP4 using a free program on my Mac.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi, What you need to do is set the source on TV to DVD then select usb on your remote. It works no problem for me and in different formats..."I think" My friend has my external HD at the moment or I could have checked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I know I posted this on the other thread but just in case anyone didn't see that one here it is again.

Avtex TVs only support USB drives formatted in a particular way and only play standard MPEG file types.

avtex.jpg

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Play both films and music from a portable hard drive and a usb stick with no problems

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
We have an Avtex combi TV/DVD player - when we go away we like to take stuff we've recorded at home so at present have to put them onto DVD but if we could instead put them onto a hard drive to link to the TV it would be a lot better as, quite apart from anything else, it would mean we don't end up lugging and juggling around DVDs!

The Avtex has USB input and we can record to USB but if we want to play stuff from a USB that's been transferred onto it, ie NOT recorded via the Avtex, it won't have it - hubby's tried all sorts to get it to work (Fat32 etc) but to no avail.

So, has any one managed to get an Avtex TV/DVD player to accept and play programmes from a USB/HDD not recorded on the Avtex? Or is there another way of getting the TV to play them???

I have another question about 'home' PVRs/recorders but will do that on another thread.

Help!

See my reply to your other post. Shame you are not closer (says you are in E Yorks - we are in Preston) or I'd lend the Cyclone to you to try. Maybe could post it?

(the issue is that your TV only supports limited formats. The Cyclone takes care of decoding the formats (as long as you have HDMI on the TV of course!) )

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Change your file extensions to .mp4 some Avtex had an issue with software and that was the only way i got around it. That followed a few calls to Avtex and I never cured mine to play .avi files.
I have a samsung 500gb HDD formatted to FAT32.. I found a free file extension changer of t'internet and with 1 click changed them all the .mp4... All play now...

If you have any DVD's you want to copy to HDD I used a free program called FREEMAKE.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I don't know which Avtex model you have but if you search on the internet along the lines of 'Avtex tv engineers code for divX' there are several posts which tell you how to enter a code (model dependent ) to access a menu which includes the ability to turn divX on. This will help you play movies etc from HDD etc, it worked on mine but I did it a couple of years ago so I can't remember where I got the info, probably from MHF! Hope this helps, Paul

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
HI. What is the model of the TV?
I have a 187DRS and had a W163DR and both play MP4's from either USB stick, hard drive or the W163DR from memory stick.

I have some memory sticks with working films on and if your close (I am in Beverley) your welcome to pop round with the TV and try one of my USB sticks - and I can try yours in mine - should be able to get you going either way

Richard

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you all, some bits for hubby to look at - I know he's tried converting the files to toher formats etc and after a quick chat this evening he's going to try some 'newer' USBs as a starting point and work on from there ... I'd love to be able to get it sorted so we don't have to keep taking ruddy discs away with us especially when you can bet the TV has a hissy-fit and refuses to play the one we want to watch!!

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Not particularly a solution to Avtex but I've seen similar problems with various brands of TV which are supposedly able to play video from USB.
I believe the issue is that there are so many codecs & variants thereof and the TV manufacturers only need to support one to advertise the 'feature'.
To be honest I've given up & put it in the too difficult pile.
So my solution is to put all my video (pretty much any format) onto a cheap tablet and 'play' it from there via an HDMI cable.
Perhaps not the most elegant solution but it works, it's simple and saves so much time trying to convert video from one format to another.

?

Deleted User
BTW does anyone know if video can be sent via Bluetooth. IE play on my tablet but watch on tv?

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
To access additional functions….

1 – Press “source” button on remote

2 – Enter code “2580″ on the numeric keypad while select source menu is still on screen.

3 – Adjust to show ‘DivX’ ON OR USB ON

4 – Press ‘source to exit.

For TV’s with a DVD player use engineers code 9210, and you can also set the region code to ’0′ to watch DVD’s from any region.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We have a 1Tb hard drive connected to a Cyclone 2 and it seems to play every known format known to man. USB in from the HD and HDMI out to the TV via its own remote - simples.:smiley:
We use it on a 240 V supply though.:frowny:

Broken Link Removed

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
See my reply to your other post. Shame you are not closer (says you are in E Yorks - we are in Preston) or I'd lend the Cyclone to you to try. Maybe could post it?

(the issue is that your TV only supports limited formats. The Cyclone takes care of decoding the formats (as long as you have HDMI on the TV of course!) )

You going to the meet in March? If not sorted by then you are welcome to stop by and look at the Cyclone

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You going to the meet in March? If not sorted by then you are welcome to stop by and look at the Cyclone
Thanks very much for the offer but our first MH show/meet will be Peterborough in April and hopefully we'll be sorted by then.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just to update this, another funster sent me info on how to sort it and hubby has only just told me it worked! :rolleyes:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I was having the same problems trying to play films on mine, wrong format, file too big etc etc so got a hdmi full hd player now just plug in hdd,memory stick, sd card and it plays anything. problem sorted.(y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've just bought an Avtex 8 series and have been tinkering around with the USB so thanks for reviving this thread, especially the bit about engineer hack codes.

You have to format your USB drive via the TV set first. Computer alone doesn't seem enough. It's an odd indexing structure.

It would appear that the filing system for USB input goes beyond just Avtex and is compatible with some other DVB systems. Items recorded to USB on our old Foehn & Hirsch 12v TV will play on the Avtex and vice versa. This means we can use the old F&H set at home to build up a collection for playback on the Avtex in the MH.

The .ts format video files created on the USB HDD will also play back on a computer through the (free) VLC media player. For computer-based media playback it's always worth installing the (free) K-Lite Codec pack which covers just about every video format known to mankind.

The only thing I'm finding frustrating is the Avtex doesn't appear to record to USB in standby mode so the set has to be left on, unless someone can show me otherwise?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back