LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
could well be our second night away, thank you (y)

@DavidG58 I feel I need to warn you. There IS a barrier ....it isn't particularly hard. From memory you stop at the barrier, read the instructions ( I think they are available in English), you pay by credit card, a ticket is issued, the barrier opens and let's you in.

Your ticket has a number on it, this allows you to get water and also to go in and out ( the number on the ticket opens the barrier too). If you decide to stay more than one night you can simply stroll over put your number in the machine and increase your number of nights. It is very easy :).

Of course, this aire may be free at this time of year !

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
we have just arrived there, just before dark, bit of dispute between Tom Tom, me and Bev on last bit of route in:LOL::LOL:, nothing new there, but seems lovely, nobody parked on grass by river, but 6 of us in all parked on other side with nice views of river :), seems to be a free aire (so far at least), no barrier, no pay machine

Yes, free during the winter months.
During the rest of the year the friendly chap from the local council comes round in his van in the early evening. €5 plus (new in the last few months) €0.5 per person local tax.
Jetons for the water and hook up are available from the boulangerie.

Wish we were there too.

Richard.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Tricky to choose just one favourite aire, we have stayed on many lovely ones. Because we have stayed there several times and are used to the place I would have to choose Bergues I suppose.

No facilities at all apart from rubbish bins but there is plenty of room and its an easy stroll into a charming town.

Bergues.JPG

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Haven't been to many but I like Aubigny sur nere lovely town

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
(y) Me thinks we will soon have enough to change the mind of the folks who say aires are only car parks and cannot find a decent one . We have some in each department except Champagne,Brittany and Eastern France. So you are allowed a second favourite :D ANYWHERE in France. Another one of ours is Brantome.
Some clever person may be able to develop a route for those poor souls who have yet to discover the
pleasure:sun:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
(y) Me thinks we will soon have enough to change the mind of the folks who say they are only car parks and cannot find a decent one . We have some in each department except Champagne,Brittany and Eastern France. So you are allowed a second favourite :D ANYWHERE in France.
Some clever person may be able to develop a route for those poor souls who have yet to discover the
pleasure
:sun:

Certainly not a 'poor soul' who hasn't discovered them..

We have been using aires for donkeys years and been to hundreds, from Brittany and Normandy to the Med coast. The wild Atlantic west coast, aires at Mimizan, Capbreton, Contis Plage, and many others.. .. but still don't think of them as anything other than convenient stopping places... one or two nights..

Just a few of the 'better' ones..

La Mailier sur Seine, 2006 , it used to be free

IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0009.JPG

in Eastern France.. two that we use..

Montherme ..has been upgraded since these photos in 2005

B0004733.JPG B0004756.JPG

and Stenay , also in 2005

B0004799.JPG B0004802.JPG

Mimizan Plage

DSC_0820(1).jpg DSC_0821.jpg

Roullet

DSCF1654.JPG DSCF1676.JPG

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Certainly not a 'poor soul' who hasn't discovered them..

We have been using aires for donkeys years and been to hundreds, from Brittany and Normandy to the Med coast. The wild Atlantic west coast, aires at Mimizan, Capbreton, Contis Plage, and many others.. .. but still don't think of them as anything other than convenient stopping places... one or two nights..

Just a few of the 'better' ones..

La Mailier sur Seine, 2006 , it used to be free

View attachment 92493 View attachment 92494

in Eastern France.. two that we use..

Montherme ..has been upgraded since these photos in 2005

View attachment 92489 View attachment 92490

and Stenay , also in 2005

View attachment 92491 View attachment 92492

Mimizan Plage

View attachment 92495 View attachment 92496

Roullet

View attachment 92497 View attachment 92498

1Knew I would get your choice eventually (y) thanks for the contribution.:D
but reading the posts on here there are lots of funsters who would like to find a decent aire and maybe this thread will be of help.:(
If not I have found some new ones anyway :sneaky:
Jude

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
La Bastide d'Armagnac. Aire is basic but free with water and dump facilities. The town is fabulous -14th century, beautiful buildings, nice bistros and when we were there they were having all kinds of cultural events that we were invited to join in. Lovely.
IMG_0831.JPG

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I realise I have a lot of favourite Aires. Here's another one,
IMG_20150902_092124.jpg
Serre Chevalier ski valley in the summer.

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
So many favourites, its difficult to pick, but one that stands out for us isn't really an aire but more of an 'Aire de Stationement', ie mixed parking with limited facs, ie a bin :lol: .
Had a look at the aire at Millau but IMO it was scruffy and overpriced so we found this little gem a few kms along the river.
Its confusingly listed on CampingcarInfos under Compregnac but its actually just above the charming little village of Peyre..

peyre1.JPG
peyre2.JPG
peyre3.JPG

Pete

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wherever it is the SUN makes a completely different complexion on any Aire. I like Saintes Maries de la mer in the Camargue

Saintes-Maries-de-la-mer-plage%205-X2.jpg

Saintes-Maries-de-la-mer-plage%2011-X2.jpg

Saintes-Maries-de-la-mer-plage%2048-X2.jpg
Also a favorite of ours except we prefer the wild beach area a bit further on (still part of the Aire) my avatar photo is taken there.

P1090283.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So many favourites, its difficult to pick, but one that stands out for us isn't really an aire but more of an 'Aire de Stationement', ie mixed parking with limited facs, ie a bin :lol: .
Had a look at the aire at Millau but IMO it was scruffy and overpriced so we found this little gem a few kms along the river.
Its confusingly listed on CampingcarInfos under Compregnac but its actually just above the charming little village of Peyre..

View attachment 92504 View attachment 92505 View attachment 92506

Pete

That's is here we ended up for the same reason, great location.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
(y) Me thinks we will soon have enough to change the mind of the folks who say aires are only car parks and cannot find a decent one . We have some in each department except Champagne,Brittany and Eastern France. So you are allowed a second favourite :D ANYWHERE in France. Another one of ours is Brantome.
pleasure:sun:
Too many to mention as well as all these that have gone before, but we also like Blaye, Bordeaux area, another one with nothing on it , but next to the sea, an enormous citadel to wander round, short walk to town, large market on Saturdays and free(y)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
One of my personal favourites is Campeneac , nice lakeside free aire , no services at the aire , as they are a bit further up in the town.
upload_2016-2-8_11-13-53.jpeg

upload_2016-2-8_11-15-1.jpeg

upload_2016-2-8_11-15-40.jpeg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another good one is Froncles in Champagne. It's a campsite in all but name. €3 per night with showers, electric and laundry for small extra amounts (€1 - €2)

There's not much there though, just a small Carrefour in the town. Great place to relax for a couple of days.

IMG_0035.jpg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
one of ours is Mareuil sur Ay right by the river in car park not under the trees

joe

We stayed there last year and liked it. (y) We were under the trees on the side of the river though.

For some reason there's free WiFi all along the river.

IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Goncourt a lovely aire with a honesty box which says take your rubbish with you if you do not pay also good chub fishing

Joe

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Goncourt a lovely aire with a honesty box which says take your rubbish with you if you do not pay also good chub fishing

Joe

Hi joe, tried looking this one up and can't find it on google earth as it comes up with a few.... Wouldn't mind a look as it's the chub that got my attention..... Any more details appreciated (y)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi joe, tried looking this one up and can't find it on google earth as it comes up with a few.... Wouldn't mind a look as it's the chub that got my attention..... Any more details appreciated (y)
Goncourt co-ordinates: N48*14.183'; E005*36.559'.
Caught 15 chub with bread on the top - fantastic few hours.

Joe

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Another fee aire with no facilities is near Strepy theiu, it's right by the side of a river, and right next to a very old boat lift, and a short walk to the new modern boat lift,mel worth a look

OP
OP
W

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Another fee aire with no facilities is near Strepy theiu, it's right by the side of a river, and right next to a very old boat lift, and a short walk to the new modern boat lift,mel worth a look

Any co-ordinates for this one please ?
Could do with a couple more for Brittany. Keep em coming ...thank you all.

View attachment 92504 View attachment 92505 View attachment 92506

Pete
any co-ordinates Pete ?thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back