Thinking about ditching the oven, blame the dog! (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
The hound woke me in the wee small hours barking at the ghost in the garden so I lay there thinking about the MH as you do.
My main concerns at the moment are storage and weight and we're getting there albeit slowly.
I've realised that we haven't used the oven for nearly 2 years ( I do all the cooking), when I need to roast something I use the remoska, when off grid I get along with hob or Cadac.

What I came up with at 4am was to remove the oven, put a locker of some sort in its place and install a continental style 3 ring gas hob.
I'd appreciate views on this.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Well.. makes sense I suppose if you don't use your oven. We use ours a fair bit.
Have you considered getting the van uprated or is storage still a big issue.

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Haven't really thought about uprating, it would be nice to lose weight:Dand gain storage in one fell swoop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
Last year we were on a site and van pulled up on next pitch, well being nosey I was watching them set up and saw that they were using their oven as a storage cupboard and it was full to the gills, it's an idea then you would have to remove yours.

Liz

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
as soon as I can I am having the oven removed. In the space released I am thinking a deep drawer in which to store the Remoska, and maybe another beneath for cooking pans. On the work stop one gas ring an induction hob and my electric panini press behind. There is only me, but I could cook just as easily with this set up for two. :)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Ours has a three ring Smev hob but no oven (this was the standard arrangement). We have had the van nine years and never missed an oven. Almost everything is cooked on the hob and we occasionally use a small Cadac. We bought a Remoska and have used it once in the van.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
When we bought our present van we had the oven removed and a locker mad as part of the deal. Looks excellent and we do not miss the oven, mind you we dont have an oven in the house either. It is amazing what you can make/bake in a remoska

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We tend to cook with the double skillet mist if the time but we do use the oven too and we most certainly use the grill.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ditch the Remorska (creating space) and buy a cookery book - then you'll learn what to do with the oven! :)

But I doubt you will save much weight removing the oven as you'll just find more stuff to fill the space created.

That said, many MHs don't have ovens and their owners don't starve!

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
@DBK haha I don't need an oven to cook! I won't fill the gap with more stuff, looking at redistribution. Getting very good at paring down what we take.
Any ideas where I could look for a locker to fill the gap?

Deleted User
Yep if you don't use it would ditch it. We got a Romoska last year, hardly use the oven, if we managed even one year never mind two not using our oven would remove for storage space.
We hardly use our oven at home either now as use Remoska.

Lin :)
Edit if we removed ours would think about a second fridge running off the gas, this would be a much better option than the oven for us. :D

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Why dont you just remove the shelves in the oven line the bottom and use it for storage? I do that with my small oven/grill its useless anyway.

Deleted User
@DBK haha I don't need an oven to cook! I won't fill the gap with more stuff, looking at redistribution. Getting very good at paring down what we take.
Any ideas where I could look for a locker to fill the gap?
Depending where you are located @Terry could probably make you something :)

Deleted User
The hound woke me in the wee small hours barking at the ghost in the garden so I lay there thinking about the MH as you do.
My main concerns at the moment are storage and weight and we're getting there albeit slowly.
I've realised that we haven't used the oven for nearly 2 years ( I do all the cooking), when I need to roast something I use the remoska, when off grid I get along with hob or Cadac.

What I came up with at 4am was to remove the oven, put a locker of some sort in its place and install a continental style 3 ring gas hob.
I'd appreciate views on this.
When I first read the title my first thought was you were removing the oven to make a space for the dog lol :)
Lin

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I can see why you don't use the oven, you have the Remoska!
My oven has a grill in it so for that reason I would keep my oven.
I did like the idea of a second fridge or maybe a freezer, if you could get one that small!
I use a Slow Pot (makes a mean dry roast) as well as the Remoska,

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
My thoughts on this are always what effect will it have on the resale value of the van - if you are keeping the van long term then probably not a lot - but if it is a new van and you change things then it could cost you if you change it in a couple of years .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I doubt you'll lose any weight. Probably the reverse

The wood needed to form a locker and door will probably weigh more than the oven and that's before you fill it up with more junk (y)

OP
OP
Mack100

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I doubt you'll lose any weight. Probably the reverse

The wood needed to form a locker and door will probably weigh more than the oven and that's before you fill it up with more junk (y)
Sounds reasonable, the cost and weight of a new locker would make the project a waste of time.
I must try not to think so much at that time of the morning!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you use lightweight ply like the manufacturers use you should be ok. Vohringer is a plywood brand used by many.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back