Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
Hi there just looking for some advice, where best to buy new gas struts, for Hymer b584 drop down bed, and are they easy to fit or is it better to take to garage. Thank you in advance for replies. Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Buy here http://www.sgs-engineering.com/nl5421-hymer-644-overcab-bed-gas-strut
call with your van information

and fit advice here http://www.hymerclub.co.uk/hcitips.htm#strut

Pull Down Bed Gas Strut Replacement

"WARNING THESE STRUTS HAVE VERY HIGH PRESSURE RAMS"
This procedure can be done by a competent DIYer
To replace a gas strut it is very important to make sure that there is no residual pressure on the locating pins. To achieve this, the bed must be set and held as high as possible, using the travel strap. I found it easier if the bed was emptied including the mattress.
The split pins were then removed and the strut checked that it was fully extended by being loose on the location pins. I then carefully removed the drum end, pointing to the back of the van first. This to ensure that if there is any residual pressure remaining, the strut it would be travelling away from the windscreen. The new strut was then fitted in the same position and split pins re-located to secure the strut before lowering the bed.
I was able to do the above from the inside of the van, but some may find it as easy to do the above from outside by leaning through the driver's door and the sliding window.
I would recommend that both struts are changed. It is sod's law that you will remove the stronger strut first.
I obtained my replacement gas struts from Peter Hambilton, but I have since found that they can be obtained for approximately £32 + vat each from:
Billington Group
280 Bawtry Road
Wickersley
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
S66 1JY
Tel: +44 (0) 1709 543837 email: frank@billington-group.co.uk
Info from N Abbott.

Pull Down Bed Fixing Bolts

It is advisable to check that the four bolts that secure the bed to the van are tightened to a torque of 40 pound foot. The four bolts that secure the bed to the lowering mechanism need to be fully tightened the backed off one flat. If any slackness is found in the nylock nuts, they should be replaced. This procedure should be checked annually.
Info from P Hambilton.

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
Thank you , scotjimland sent email hopefully should be sorted now, then going to try and fit myself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I replaced the struts on my 2001 B584, I found you can remove any strut retainers eg split pins or speed fasterns ( the type that push on and grip spindle, these did break when I removed them, so I used jubilee clips as a temporary fix) and then lift the bed base as high as possible ,with the matress off, and you carn then prise strut off one pin and then let the bed down and remove strut from the other pin. I found the job easy rather fiddly and ackward than difficult.

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
We had ours fitted at Edgehill motors but we supplied the struts all done in couple of hours.

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
Thank you all for advice, it really helped sat with the strut for 15 minutes in my hands, thinking should I , then went for it followed the advice , now all done. And can't believe how much difference it makes dropping and lifting the bed. Thank again so glad I joined this site

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Just wondering if we need new gas struts? I find the bed too heavy to lift up by myself. The boss however has no problem with it. Should a 5ft 4 ins woman who isn't very strong be able to put the bed up?

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
I can push our bed up now we have had a struts done where I couldn't before

OP
OP
Don't know

Don't know

Free Member
Sep 17, 2015
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
12 month
Yes before I changed the gas struts, I would struggle to lift and my other half, no way. Now it is a doddle. Plus when I would drop it was like a lead ballon. That was harder than lifting it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back