Draught from around the fridge (1 Viewer)

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I'm sure I read something about this on here a few weeks back but I can't find it now.
Standard Hymer 3 way fridge on a 1999 B644.
Tonight we are parked in a very windy spot and there is a really strong draught coming through the outside vent trough the gap at the top of the fridge.
The draught itself isn't a big issue but I thought I read that it was quite important (due to gas leakage/exhaust) to have a good seal around the fridge.
I just wanted to check before I start thinking about sealing it. Maybe the gas vent is somewhere different and this ventilation is needed. It did have a habitation check recently but I have no idea if this would have been checked for.
Paul

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hymer seal the gap (as all manufacturers should). It sounds as though someone may have removed your fridge at some point and failed to re-seal it. The standard fitting by Hymer involves applying sealant around the vertical joints with the wooden frame and the fitting of a sealed metal angle-plate between the top of the fridge and the upper aperture frame. You should be able to see this if you remove the outside vents (top and bottom). If the metal sealing plate is missing you must get hold of one and effect a repair.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I sealed ours last year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Paul, without wishing to start any 'hares running' regarding 'Badknee's' post, don't be tempted to try and seal the fridge from the front. You need to ensure the unit is sealed from behind, otherwise there is a risk of gases entering the van via any other gaps or ventilators around the fridge. Mine for example has a plastic vent strip next to the door at the top of the fridge housing, below the hob (which sits above the fridge).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back