XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
I know this has probably been done to death and I have read most of the detailing posts but can any body recommend the current best or should I say easiest stuff for removal of the black streaks on the van sides? The van is a 2001 Hymer so painted aluminium but the paintwork doesn't look like it has ever been polished and is really dull so streaking is constantly happening, so before I polish I need to get these off. I have seen recommends for Fenwicks, WD40, Pledge and all sorts of other stuff so are there any other "under the sink" products e.g. sugar soap to try which won't damage the paint?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Autoglym Super resin polish, polishes and protects at the same time, and takes the black streaks off.

Martin

OP
OP
XRN

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
Thanks for all the replies, Aldi is about a mile away so will keep an eye out for it in their specials if it is not an everyday stocked product

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Autoglym Super resin polish, polishes and protects at the same time, and takes the black streaks off.

Martin
Sorry to disappoint you but SRP is not designed to protect, it will need wax applied afterwards

VEG

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
South Wales
Funster No
MH
COACH BUILT
Exp
I have used a product called "elbow grease" yes thats the name of it. Its a general purpose degreaser, works very well but you will need to wax after using it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I have used a product called "elbow grease" yes thats the name of it. Its a general purpose degreaser, works very well but you will need to wax after using it.
Another vote for elbow grease, sell it at Asda for £1, bright yellow liquid. I generally give black streak a spray when I'm washing van, leave it 1 minute then wash of with shampoo/wax on wash brush. It's also brill for cleaning alloys and brilliant on locker door trims when they appear to be losing their whiteness, they come up a treat. But this stuff is a strong degreasing so polish is needed afterwards to restore paint protection as Veg says.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I found that showroom shine works and is easy to use.

Findlaters

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Into our 4th year
I use Olpro Inside & Out caravan cleaner. I won a selection of their products in the MMM Top Tip competition a couple of years ago. After trying loads of other products that have been recommended, this is by far the best yet.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The Aldi stuff's done a good job on my MH but they don't appear to sell it all the time. It usually turns up in their 'this week's best buy' type promotions during the spring. You can get e-mail alerts for them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I bought some black streak remover from Aldi and it's brilliant!
Second that, also their caravan cleaner is very good as it is one of the few shampoos without wax, always buy a couple bottles when they have it (twice a year normally)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back