Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I came across this post a few moments ago that I felt necessitated a warning to Funsters who may be passing through Calais.

I don't wish to appear to be scaremongering but when scaffold poles are being thrown off motorway bridges coming into Calais, road users need to stay vigilant and cautious.
On the above link occasion, the pole went straight through the windscreen of the truck, luckily it was left hand drive so the driver survived.
I don't know about other funsters but I have always been suspicious of people standing on motorway or road bridges over traffic lanes and have always tried to pass under the bridge in the lane furthest away from them, seen it before with bricks, car tyres and whatever the numpties can lay their hands on.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
This if true surprises me, with all the shit that's gone on in France/Belgium I would have thought that either the French authorities would have cleared them out or the illegal immigrants would be keeping a low profile.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - miscreants including kids have been doing that sort of thing for years in the UK.

One of our mates is a train driver - he always smiles and waves to kids he sees on bridges - sounds the hooter too when he can - has mates who were killed by kerbstones heaved over by comparatively little kids - 8 years old in one case - and it happens on roads too. Most have been indigenous white British kids too!

So - clearly it ain't just Calais - it is just another road hazard.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Thanks op for the reminder to be n alert passing through Calais..We went through the tunnel the other night and it was relatively quiet . Saw so he groups on the roads near the belgium border though. Were back sat morning early and expecting it to be quiet.
Awful place now though I really feel for the local residents.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Driver Kieth Bab otherwise known as Kebab was not available to comment.

Things get thrown of bridges by imbeciles quite often here in the UK but we still have to drive ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Repeating myself.. avoid Calais until they sort it out, plenty of other entry ports .. if it were boycotted France would soon get rid of the Jungle.

Lorry drivers and medics have warned of escalating violence between truckers and refugees on the roads around Calais, as footage emerged of a Hungarian truck driver who filmed himself intentionally accelerating towards people attempting to board lorries outside of the French town, forcing them off the road.

Drivers are increasingly using social media and dashboard cameras to film clashes with people from the refugee camps outside the port, as well as to vent frustration about a crisis they say is threatening their livelihoods.

5760.jpg

Refugee children of Calais: 'I’m very homesick, I wish I could go back now'
Read more
Hundreds of videos of confrontations have been shared on YouTube, with several showing young men hurling litter and rocks at lorries, and drivers punching people they have found hiding in their trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syyl0gfNDRE

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
There's Certainly a problem at Calais, however people will continue to bury there heads in the sand and pretend its not a problem
Believe me that problem will be coming to there town/city shortly, will be interesting to hear there views when that happens

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I'm afraid the bleeding heart liberals would have you believe that every thing is tickety boo. Sympathy for these thugs is what got us where we are today. As @ScotJim says, why put yourself through it, there are many other ways........

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Now the chance of getting on trucks nearer the port is reduced they immigrants use tactics like this to slow or stop the traffic then swarm on the stationary trucks. To keep a balanced view yes other people are available to throw things at trucks in other country's .

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I ran the pic through a few websites and it appers geninune. Also it has never been on the internet before the 28th. So my best guess is that the story is genuine.
I did the same as you, but 2 slightly different stories read, driver attacked on the ground and another said missile thrown from bridge. I cannot imagine someone on the ground getting that pole through the windscreen. But dropped from a bridge, I dunno?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
No doubt the story is true, but it is a HGV not a motorhome. No doubt someone will say "BUT it could have been a motorhome", but it's NOT. No doubt someone will say "DO NOT travel via Eurotunnel it's not safe".
No doubt there will aways be scare mongering, but that is all it is.
Thousands of vehicles travel every day via Calais, many being motorhomes and how many have a problem? a few...........
Enjoy your travels and do not be put off by a few scare mongering reports.

You could aways park your motorhome on the drive and enjoy it from there..................

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
So migrants who are trying to use lorries to get in to the UK are stopping them by chucking iron through the windscreen ?

Seems odd sort of thing to do ???

The lorry they damaged wouldn't be much good, but could the intention be to cause an accident to slow the following traffic down?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thousands of vehicles travel every day via Calais, many being motorhomes and how many have a problem? a few...

as far as I'm concerned .. one is one too many.. have you forgotten the incident with an illegal climbing onto the roof of a British motorhome, trying to gain access via the rooflight then sitting the the kayak .. it won't be the last .. and I don't want to be next..

Scaremongering ? .. call me what you like.. been called worse than that.. it won't change my mind about not using Calais port or the Tunnel ..

image1.jpeg

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
@Broken Link Removed I DID NOT call you anything, you read it how you like. I agree ONE motorhome is one to many, but it was/is so far ONE motorhome................. out of hundreds traveling every week.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Broken Link Removed I DID NOT call you anything, you read it how you like. I agree ONE motorhome is one to many, but it was/is so far ONE motorhome................. out of hundreds traveling every week.

fair enough.. not at me directly..

but if the Port of Calais and the Tunnel were boycotted and Dover blockaded the Mayor of Calais and the French Gov. would soon do something..

French ferry workers, fishermen , farmers etc are quick enough to blockade the port to get action.. direct action works.. wringing of hands and building more fences is futile.. it's in France's interest that they get into Britain.. they have no intention of keeping them in France.. it's a token effort ..

So what is the 'end game' .. how big does the illegal camp need to be before something is done.. ie bulldozers.. do we need to see deaths from disease, scabies has taken hold.. or innocent people killed before something is done?

who is actually tackling this problem.. ?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Not accurate, there have been reports of intimidation and migrants trying to access motorhomes on here. Considering this forum represents a small percentage of owners, the problem may well be bigger than you think. Aside from Calais there are now cities in Europe full of unemployed(able) disgruntled hungry migrants, who will be wanting your ipad, your wad and anything else they can get their hands on or sell...

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Four things bother me about this:-

1. There is no evidence that the author of the piece was present or took the photos. That could indicate he may be relating a story he was told and has no first hand knowledge of what actually happened and where. There is however, a clear indication he is very anti migrant. Only the first three lines of his article are anything to do with the post through the windscreen, the remainder is simply a lengthy rant about migrants.

2. There is no evidence that the post was thrown by anyone, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that it could simply have come adrift from a lorry loaded with wood the driver was behind, or there could perhaps be some other credible explanation.

3. Even if it was proved the post was thrown, there is no evidence this was in the vicinity of Calais, other than what the author, who is plainly anti immigrant says.

4. If it were accepted that the post was thrown from a bridge at or near Calais (Which could be open to doubt) There is no evidence that it was a migrant who threw it, it could have been kids messing around as they do on UK motorways. It could even have been a Calais resident trying to stir up hatred of the migrants.

Please don't get me wrong, I am very much against illegal migrants who are willing to break the law or use violence and or intimidation against local communities or the police or anyone to achieve their aims and I am aware that some have, on occasion done so.

But for the reasons stated I am not convinced at the moment this was a "migrant attack" and I think the article should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim, I didn't say it didn't happen. I said I was not convinced it happened as claimed, taking it with a pinch of salt. I am only talking about this particular report, not the one you are referring to.

wasn't addressing your post.. nor the OP

just showing another example of what is going on..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
More on the OP story ...

A Czech truck driver passing through Calais has narrowly avoided being killed by migrants when they hurled a long wooden stake through the window of his cab before mobbing his vehicle. The driver was able to speed away, but police at the port said they were unable to offer assistance as he was not hurt during the attack.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...-death-migrants-hurl-wooden-stake-cab-window/

Broken Link Removed

and more disturbing video..
http://www.breitbart.com/london/201...y-driver-swerves-hit-migrants-warzone-calais/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back