Bought Copilot with weekend discount (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Been looking at Copilot for a while to load onto new iPad mini 4. Over weekend Premium Western Europe was on offer for £18 so took the plunge. It all seemed to download ok and sat at home all seemed to work as it should, found GPS signal, planned routes showed me correct map screen etc. Weather foul yesterday so did not go out but today walked to doctors and took copilot with me but it did not seem to track my movement. If I rebooted it then it came up with the point I had moved too but still would not track/guide. I reasoned that I was confusing it by moving too slowly, clutching at straws maybe. So this afternoon had to go out in car but still no joy, it behaved exactly the same. Now feel that I have not got the bargain I thought. But is there something I have not done that I should have to make it work? Any (helpful) suggestions welcomed. Thanks

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
I have used this on an iPad with some success and with the extras I reckon it is good value for money. The one drawback is not being able to add POIs on the latest version of IOS.

As my iPad does not have the built-in network/GPS, I have to use an external GPS receiver connecte via Bluetooth. I do wonder whether this is your issue and whether the initial location you were getting was from the "location services" based on your home wifi rather than GPS?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Pardon me for asking but you do have the mini with the sim card slot don't you?

Edit: @ericroy has already said it for me (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks ericroy, I knew about the gps issue but mini 4 is said to have "assisted gps" and GLONASS which I now know is the Russian GPS. Also it know where I am if I reboot away from home wifi so it must have gps receiver - I hope.

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Chocsawahay - no I do not not have a sim card iPad but thought as it had gps I was ok. But now doubt that.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Ah, the GPS only comes with the mobile data version of the Ipad :giggle:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@Forestboy is the copilot expert. But could it be something in the settings? You need the app to stay active and the device not go to sleep. Is there a setting to enable this?

According to the spec the iPad mini 4 has a proper GPS, or what apple call assisted GPS which just means it uses phone masts to speed up getting a first fix.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
This is great, such helpful advice and now so much to look into. I think I need to go away and look at copilot settings all again. I will be back when I can. Thanks to you all.

Reactions: DBK

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sorry have no idea mine worked first go although I do struggle with it in walking mode.
@bungy can probably help he's my default technical expert. (y)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
@Forestboy is the copilot expert.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: that has made my day:)

@grumfy - as Chocswahay has said, none cellular doesn't have GPS im afraid, but relies on WIFI (which is why it would would work at home), and uses apples digital compass which basically tells apps etc which way you are pointing from magnetic fields which is probably what is finding your location when you restart it - or its picking it up from a WIFI signal close by. Im afraid you'll need an external GPS dongle to make use of it

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Bungy you have just confirmed my worst fears and explained why it appeared to find itself when restarted. Just been looking at GPS receivers and best I can see is about £60. So my bargain is not such a bargain after all.
Thanks again to all who helped me.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks Bungy you have just confirmed my worst fears and explained why it appeared to find itself when restarted. Just been looking at GPS receivers and best I can see is about £60. So my bargain is not such a bargain after all.
Thanks again to all who helped me.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: that has made my day:)

Cheeky Sod:eek:

@grumfy - as Chocswahay has said, none cellular doesn't have GPS im afraid, but relies on WIFI (which is why it would would work at home), and uses apples digital compass which basically tells apps etc which way you are pointing from magnetic fields which is probably what is finding your location when you restart it - or its picking it up from a WIFI signal close by. Im afraid you'll need an external GPS dongle to make use of it

Hang on @bungy my techie friend I paid £24 for full Europe and it works perfect off line everywhere. Definitely haven't bought some expensive £69 add on.
Whats the difference.

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Well having discovered that not all iPads have GPS (why not? they are not cheap!) I decided that having got this far that I would have to get myself a bluetooth GPS receiver - GNS 2000 certified made for iPod, iPhone and iPad. It came today and well my iPad will not discover the GNS 200o so I am no further forward. My laptop picks up the GNS straight away and my iPad and laptop connect to each other as does my phone to the iPad. So that tells me that both iPad and GNS are both working but not with each other! Anyone care to suggest what I do next?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@grumfy just a thought, have you had your Ipad very long? otherwise you could change it for the 'sim' version with GPS......

Take the other GPS back

Probably not much more cost?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Our £35 Chinese TruckNav's may not be perfect - but at least they have GPS and can find the satellites [mostly] :xgrin:.

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Unfortunately I have had the iPad a little while. Yes I wish I had bought the sim version. After reading the other forum it makes think I need to send the GPS back and give up on using co-pilot with my iPad

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I wish I could help more, sorry. Maybe 'cutting your losses' is a good idea.....

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry about the blank reply - must try harder!
Yes I agree co-pilot is great on Android, I have one but thought that moving to iPad would be a good move - doh!
The sim version of iPad does not have be to connected or even have a sim inserted to have its gps work, so I am told (the same people who told me iPads are great). So it would not chew up your data allowance in that case.
But yes Apple has let me down and it is back to my trusty Samsung.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Copilot works superbly on my Samsung S5 just keep it powered as it does use up battery.

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
I already have an android copy of co-pilot on my old Samsung. I bought the apple version to go on the iPad. So a double waste of money, iPad and its version of co-pilot. Double doh!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't help but you could always install an avatar, here's a suggestion, it is almost spelt correctly and Jim can change your user name very easily...
992aa3021375addbe4c943c489a80c51.jpg

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for that - it fits. I misspelt my username grumfy which is a description of me - grumpy and scruffy, so it should have been grumffy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back