Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The trouble is the blue badge is Mike's, and he already has the mobility scooter. It is very easy to ride on the flat so I might even remove the battery in Spain and not bother with the twist and go, I will wait and see what we hear from the dealer in Valencia and DiBlasi in Italy.

Ginny

I would be surprised if it was not peddle assist...does the motor not cut in once you start peddling? As even if there is a throttle it should work in both modes..I would ask supplier. (this nothing to do with legality issue)

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I would be surprised if it was not peddle assist...does the motor not cut in once you start peddling? As even if there is a throttle it should work in both modes..I would ask supplier. (this nothing to do with legality issue)

No it is definitely just twist and go, the pedal assist connection on the chain has not been installed.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Well, I have spoken to a very helpful young man at Concept Edge and he identified the part I needed to turn the tricycle into a pedal assist as well as a Twist and go, and it should be here in the next couple of days. It cost just over £20 to make the bike Spanish 'legal'.

What exactly does legal mean? Can someone please point me to the bit of Spanish law on electric bikes so I am clear.

Brian, at Concept Edge, did confirm that from the 1st of January no one would be able to buy a twist and go in the UK, only pedal assist. Cycles manufactured before that date are not covered by the new law.

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What exactly does legal mean? Can someone please point me to the bit of Spanish law on electric bikes so I am clear.
Ginny

It's not Spanish law, it's EU law. They are the ones who created the CE system.

So to be "legal" you need a declaration of conformity. You could self certify provided you can carry out the right analysis. But normally the manufactures have legal guys who look up all the applicable laws and then set about proving their product complies with every law. Then some brave chap signs The Certificate of Conformity and a CE sticker can be applied to the product.

Can you get someone to supply such a certificate and sticker ?

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Wh
It's not Spanish law, it's EU law. They are the ones who created the CE system.

So to be "legal" you need a declaration of conformity. You could self certify provided you can carry out the right analysis. But normally the manufactures have legal guys who look up all the applicable laws and then set about proving their product complies with every law. Then some brave chap signs The Certificate of Conformity and a CE sticker can be applied to the product.

Can you get someone to supply such a certificate and sticker ?

When I asked Brian about the Certificate of Conformity he said it only applied to the Diblasi folding moped, not the tricycle.

I have emailed Diblasi in Italy but have heard nothing yet, I will give them another couple of days then chase them.

Ginny

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
When I asked Brian about the Certificate of Conformity.......

I have emailed Diblasi in Italy but have heard nothing yet, I will give them another couple of days then chase them.

Ginny

Sorry to be a pain in the bum Ginny but it's doing you no favours if you aren't sure of the facts.

We'll be on our old ebikes in Benidorm soon enough. With crossed fingers even though they've been used there for years.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry to be a pain in the bum Ginny but it's doing you no favours if you aren't sure of the facts.

We'll be on our old ebikes in Benidorm soon enough. With crossed fingers even though they've been used there for years.

That's the problem Brian, what are the facts?

I can't find a definative - this is the law, this is what you must/must not do!

I have read the new compliance document starting in January but it is not easy to understand the plain and simple facts.

Ginny

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but it is not easy to understand the plain and simple facts.
Ginny

That's our Brave New World, Brussels style.

It's far worse than you can ever imagine. Somewhere in cloud cuckoo land that is the EU are directives specifying the tyres, the wheels, the brakes, the spokes, the saddle, the frame, the lights and all the electronics which are supposed to be tested for Electromagnetic Compatibility so that your bike does not interfere with your phone/pacemaker/watch etc then you get to the tiny little bit on the end, what throttle are you allowed.

And those two magic letters CE declare that the bike complies with everything.

All you did was go and buy a trike, in good faith, you didn't expect this did you.

The EU is why God gave us alcohol.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That's the problem Brian, what are the facts?

I can't find a definative - this is the law, this is what you must/must not do!

I have read the new compliance document starting in January but it is not easy to understand the plain and simple facts.

Ginny

Has been explained many times....E bikes have to be EN 15194 Compliant...thats all there is to it

Chance of fine using throttle assist...low

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have just received the attached Certificate of Conformity from DiBlasi, am I now legal??

The parcel has arrived with the pedal assist adaptation, Mike has nearly finished so we should be all set to go!.

I hope the Pdf file has loaded, I have never attached one of those before.

Ginny

Attachments

• Certificate of Conformity.pdf
    283.6 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Does anyone speak Italian, I am not sure what this Pdf is all about!

Attachments

• Cert.%20iscr.%20Repertorio%20Dispositivi%20Medici%20R%2034.pdf
    82.3 KB · Views: 16
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have just received the attached Certificate of Conformity from DiBlasi, am I now legal??

The parcel has arrived with the pedal assist adaptation, Mike has nearly finished so we should be all set to go!.

Ginny
That CofC states in last paragraph,that there is a CE sticker somewhere on it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Ginny

That looks like gold. Let the cops say it's not a mobility scooter !!!

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
If it has the ability to 'twist and go' then it is not legal in Spain regardless of whether you carry (as we do) a Certificate of Conformity or not...We're in Benidorm currently and twist and go bikes are simply everywhere, so are those two stroke petrol engined bikes, the one's I've seen not displaying any number plates so not appearing road legal.

There are no shortage of Police who don't as much as give you a second glance except to wave you past. If they wanted the authorities could make a mint out of the potential fines!

Our concern is the outcome of having a mishap, running into someone etc on a non conforming bike where the police turn up.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Well, after a couple of setbacks - mainly because there were no fitting instructions - we now have a fully functioning pedal assist and twist and go tricycle!

Together with the documentation we are ready for Spain!

Thanks to everybody who contributed to the thread.

Ginny

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well, after a couple of setbacks - mainly because there were no fitting instructions - we now have a fully functioning pedal assist and twist and go tricycle!

Ginny
Very very pleased for you. See you both soon.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Ginny

Sorry to disillusion you but twist and go is in no way legal for use in Spain or anywhere in Europe... As no matter what paper work says it is not compliant with EN15194 regulations..That being said chances of getting pulled are between non existent and slim. Point of post, you need to know the facts of the situation...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry to disillusion you but twist and go is in no way legal for use in Spain or anywhere in Europe... As no matter what paper work says it is not compliant with EN15194 regulations..That being said chances of getting pulled are between non existent and slim. Point of post, you need to know the facts of the situation...

But it's not an ebike it's medical transport.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If it has the ability to 'twist and go' then it is not legal in Spain regardless of whether you carry (as we do) a Certificate of Conformity or not...We're in Benidorm currently and twist and go bikes are simply everywhere, so are those two stroke petrol engined bikes, the one's I've seen not displaying any number plates so not appearing road legal.

There are no shortage of Police who don't as much as give you a second glance except to wave you past. If they wanted the authorities could make a mint out of the potential fines!

Our concern is the outcome of having a mishap, running into someone etc on a non conforming bike where the police turn up.

And there lies the dilemma.....like to chap riding an illegal High speed Kalkhoff e bike that was hit by a bus in Richmond park and prosecuted once police realised what he was riding...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

What Hildweller said. You obviously missed this bit
" where it is classified as a Medical Devices Class I "

Not any sort of bike but a disabilty scooter . :xThumb:

comes under this directive;

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:1993L0042:20071011:en:PDF

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
What Hildweller said. You obviously missed this bit
" where it is classified as a Medical Devices Class I "

Not any sort of bike but a disabilty scooter . :xThumb:

comes under this directive;

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:1993L0042:20071011:en:PDF

Crikey, I have just tried to read this, I think I will wait until someone writes it in 'English'.

Ginny

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Thanks Brian, we are trying to find somewhere to keep the documents on the bike, I think under the saddle might be the best place.

Ginny
Ginny in your handbag will be fine as 99.9% of the time you will not need them..................

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Someone mentioned in a plastic bag stuck up the seat post recently. ...
That is were our photocopies are stuffed..............., but you need a cork to stop them from falling out!!!

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK Benidorm is different from the rest of Spain but

We had a look at lots of E bikes in Spain not just Benidorm and have found quite a few Spanish companies selling new bikes tagging them as "Pure Power" i.e. throttle only such as this page look at the trike
and this kit

Yet EU regs that came out in January 2016 states that all bikes sold after January could NOT have a throttle to use motor power only

SO you can see where the confusion comes

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
People need to understand that in many many other European countries, there are rules, and then there is real life.
In Spain, of course there is the EU-wide rule about only having pedal-assist ebikes now. That's a national regulation made by the Federal Government in Madrid.
But nobody in the 17 semi-autonomous regions around Spain takes much notice of Madrid, especially over such a technically obscure tiny little irrelevant regulation as that.
The local Police (remember that they are just town council employees here, not members of any cohernet National force) don't know about it at all, and wouldn't care about it if they did.

So, is the law in place here? Yes.
Is there any danger of going to prison for ten years if you break it? Absolutely no.

Don't sweat the small stuff you Brits when you get off the Little Island.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back