LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Is there anyone still using a dark room ?

I sold off the last two enlargers and other kit about two years ago when it got too difficult to buy chemicals and paper locally..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Much to the annoyance of Sian I always nicked a room in the house for a darkroom. I junked all my kit a couple of years ago. I remember putting a £500 multi grade head enlarger on eBay starting at £1. And it didn't sell. :(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've got the kit but it's not permanently set up and I don't use it much.

I do enjoy it though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Still got all the gear but stopped using it about 10 years ago. Reluctant to throw hundreds of pounds worth of equipment in the skip.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I actually sold all my stuff for a reasonable amount.. Advertised it in the local library and it went within a week

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I sold off the last two enlargers

You were lucky, mine went to the tip, apart from bit of metal and wood I kept as "useful".

Sad innit !

But I would not want to go back.

Deleted User
Sold all my stuff a cpl of years ago, once I'd got a dslr that gave results comparable/better than my old film slr's.

I'm on my third digital upgrade at the moment with a "full frame" sensor which blows away the quality I ever got (even with my old mamiya medium format)

Learning photoshop (properly) is my next goal, and I'd never go back to chemicals. Being able to improve and manipulate images (even in the van following a days shooting) is just brilliant.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've got 2 enlargers in the loft must be over 25 years since I last used them.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Selling vintage cameras as I do, I find a lot of gentlemen of a certain age waxing lyrical about their film cameras and darkroom days.

I have to confess to never having developed a film or printed a photo myself, despite starting SLR photography in 1977 and being descended from earlier generations of professional photographers. Terrible isn't it?

If any of you ex-darkroom types discover any old film stock you may be pleasantly surprised at what it would fetch online. Obsolete Polaroid stock (although not strictly darkroom gear) attracts very favourable sums.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
This time last year I sold all my Bronica 645 medium format cameras and lenses and ancillary gear and other old film cameras and old Canon FD and compatible lenses, unused films, assorted multigrade print paper etc. Made about £2,000 on Ebay with which I was delighted.

I still have all the film developing drums, developing trays, heated chemical bottles bath and a Fuji Pressman portable enlarger, in its beautiful aluminium flight case and enlarging lenses which is the next project to sell. I'm under some pressure now as its all down from the roof now in my office/fourth bedroom but preventing the cot for the newly arrived grandson to be deployed!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm under some pressure now as its all down from the roof now in my office/fourth bedroom but preventing the cot for the newly arrived grandson to be deployed!
No no no !!!

You have it all wrong.
Camera equipment doesnt wake during the night and need feeding every couple of hours.
Keep the camera stuff and put the baby on eBay.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I like it Pappajohn!

However SWMBO will no doubt keep pushing for it to be cleared out!

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Still use the broom cupboard for developing new negs but once developed I'm in the'lightroom' scanning into jpegs. 4x5inch negs from my crown graphic are amazing but humping it up hill and down dale is bloody hard work, very expensive and time consuming to take and develop but end of the day very satisfying and great fun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back