Encouraging more folks to go "Wild" (1 Viewer)

Safari

Free Member
Nov 26, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Peugoet Nuevo ES
Exp
Since 2009
Gassing - the Myth ?

I've tried not to be controversial nor harsh (some may say I failed ?), however ... before anyone says they heard down the pub their neighbours cat overheard an uncle who talked to his best mates cousin that they heard somewhere from someone that somebody had ben gassed ...

I have personally made up my mind based solely on this and NOTHING else direct from the Royal College of Anaesthetists
Link Removed.

That's all - & how that potentially squares up with any personal experience to the contrary I don't know - I wasn't there.

I can hear the Moderators groaning already, he's only 5 posts in and starts a blinkin' thread about gassing, aaarrrgh ! I'm new here and I hate internet ping pong ding dong arguments, so I hope I haven't upset some sensitive folks who may take offence, from any personal type experience.

I've just attempted to put forward my judgement of the situation and if folks have a different opinion and decide, it's such a big decider and it's still not for them, that's fine - in fact why am I encouraging more folks to wild camp, it should be fewer the better, i.e. more room at the side of beautiful Loch Maree watching the Eagles for the rest of us :) [BTW there's toilets, including disabled toilet there too and they get cleaned daily, but the flushing water is brownish, because it comes straight from the Peat. There's also taps, but why would you need a tap - the Lochs full of the stuff. If you google earth it looks a bit narrow and you have drive down a gravel track between an old crofters barn and a bling Loch side "Grand Design" but I've seen 50+ seater buses drop of tourists for the wee ramble to Gairloch, it's a great walk btw - but that should be another thread].

Chrz

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
welcome, the statement is from 2014 and gets quoted regularly on here

but back to your far more interesting reference to Loch Maree, where is this car park you speak of?, I have used the one on the south west bank close to the visitor centre, but that would be quite a hike for your average coach holidayer back to Gairloch :)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hello and welcome!

Yes, tis a complete myth

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Safari

Safari

Free Member
Nov 26, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Peugoet Nuevo ES
Exp
Since 2009
welcome, the statement is from 2014 and gets quoted regularly on here

but back to your far more interesting reference to Loch Maree, where is this car park you speak of?, I have used the one on the south west bank close to the visitor centre, but that would be quite a hike for your average coach holidayer back to Gairloch :)

I know, there's some good lay-bys by the road near the Visitor Centre, which are ok, and I not sure of the exact location you mention (the same? or not) but it's here :
57.688688 -5.551461.

Google street car has been down and worth a look.

Granted it's a few miles hike thro' the trees to Gairloch. Driving North, past the Hotel at Slattadale and there's a sign off to the left. Not that obvious.

Picture attached from 2014 when the sun was shining brightly.

Attachments

• PICT0204.jpg
    PICT0204.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 44
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Welcome. The only gassing you will ever experience in a motorhome is if A. You feed the wife on beans, sprouts, peas and cabbage, or B. If you owns a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. (y)
Or a Labrador :).

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome.

Not only is gassing a myth but so is any mention of "moderators" on Fun.

We don't need moderators... we have Jim.

Whoops... sorry Peter... never was as quick as you!

JJ :cool:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
See what you have started............................:mad:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I know, there's some good lay-bys by the road near the Visitor Centre, which are ok, and I not sure of the exact location you mention (the same? or not) but it's here :
57.688688 -5.551461.
In the trees?
untitled-jpg.84398

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 282

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
My wife has been gassed on a number of occasions - she has experienced violent coughing, irritation particularly of the nasal passages,

When it has happened this has been solved by me moving to the other end of the motorhome and closing the dividing door unless I can get away with blaming the dog (only works sometimes)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Never believed that gassing was real.. but not at all interested in wild camping.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
but not at all interested in wild camping.
Why ever not ? You aught to have a go . Would you rather this (although we do love the site in Moffat , and are going again this new year !)
image.jpeg
Over these examples........
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Same holiday, top one on a site( only the 2nd night stop out of a 3 week trip, moving on somewhere different every day ) the others just us , no one else bliss. We much prefer wilding. But you have to be set up for it.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We also love the c&cc site at Moffat. But nope sorry.. in the UK it's cls cs' THS and sites... abroad it's Aires and sites.
Wild camping just doesn't appeal to us at all.
I think a big part of it is we like mixing with (like minded) people.
There are ... as I'm sure you know.. some stunning sites too.

Reactions: GJH

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Why ever not ?

The locations you show are in the far flung corners of Scotland..few and far between south of the border.. and yes they are beautiful for a night or two.. but if you want to chill out and relax for a few days, get the barbie out, do a bit of cycling , walking then you can't beat a nice quiet site or CL..

But you have to be set up for it.

We have a set up that would could easily last several days ...but even without any special kit we, as could most others, easily last 3 or 4 days off grid, the limiting factor for everyone is the amount of water you can carry and where dispose of black waste..not the amount of solar and batteries..

I look for Cls or sites where an EHU is either not available or an option..

We used to park off site regularly until one night at Aldeburgh louts came calling by banging the habitation window at 3 am.. . that was the end of it. Broken window and petrified wife and kids .. that was enough.

I also wish people would stop referring to parking in car parks, lay bys etc as wild camping.. . in a motorhome it is neither wild nor camping, at best it is off site parking..

In The Scotland land reform act, Wild camping is defined as sleeping in a small tent .. leaving no trace and moving on every other day..... ... but sadly, that has been abused by both motorhomers and wild campers.. leaving rubbish, chopping down tress for firewood etc ..so we now have a ban on ANY kind of camping outside of official sites on the east side of Loch Lomond and in the Trossachs national park.

Not accusing anyone on here of doing that but sadly many do.. .Broken Link Removed

Can't have one of these on a campsite....

actually you can.. there are lots of sites that permit open fires.. listed on UK Campsites..

This is not in the 'wilds' nor wild camping.. but we are 'camping' at a site in Norfolk..
DSC_7217(1).jpg DSC_7237(1).jpgDSC_7212.jpg DSC_7218.jpg

Last edited:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We love to wild camp but only in Scotland, the Isles, including Orkney and wonderful Shetland.

Sadly though I do have to agree with @ScotJim that far too many leave all their rubbish behind, although from the evidence we've come across it's more likely those using small tents that don't clear up after them. These folk again the minority dragging down the rest of us. We make a point of having a tidy up when we come across such mess.

We're currently in Spain and enjoying the company of fellow campers. We also like the piece, quite, solitude and stunning locations that is unique to wild camping. As they say, variety is the spice of life!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome. The only gassing you will ever experience in a motorhome is if A. You feed the wife on beans, sprouts, peas and cabbage, or B. If you owns a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. (y)
Feed B with items listed under A and you need to make sure the dog is well tethered to the ground with a clear space all around.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Says the only Funster who has an attachment (see avatar) to ensure that the whole rally site is aware of the gas emissions :LOL:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Completely agree with @ScotJim ..
One other thing.. I'm not a fan of coldness. Beautiful as Scotland is... it can be a wee bit chilly.
We too can survive for a good period off grid but eventually we will need services.
In fact . The only place I'm prepared to wild camp is alpes dhuez.. but then you can mix with lots of others

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
but if you want to chill out and relax for a few days

I'm not a fan of coldness. Beautiful as Scotland is... it can be a wee bit chilly.

Haha............ well if you really want to 'chill' .......... surely Scotland is literally PERFECT :rolleyes: hehe

I do agree, it's beautiful but flippin cold and windy most of the time :(

Funnily enough those photos I put up before were in Sweden and Norway in May last year when it was between 20c and 28c nearly every day :eek: (I have been told we were very,VERY lucky with the weather :))

OP
OP
Safari

Safari

Free Member
Nov 26, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Peugoet Nuevo ES
Exp
Since 2009

Truly superb pictures, thanks ( some of the vans in the first piccy look nice, too). So while this is now the Wild Camping Photo's thread :) a sample over the last few years...

1st is Aiges Mortes, France, lit up at night.
2nd Stromness for the night in the middle of town for the Orkney folk festival. The police smiled and walked on, no probs at all, safe as houses. Toilet in the Ferry terminal too.
3rd Isle of Mull, directly behind the Van on the hill is where the Golden Eagles nest. The local twitchers turned up, spent all day and saw nothing. The cheeky birds obviously just know when they leave as they come out !!!, we had a brill show.
4th = cheeky Campings at Stornaway ready for the morning Ferry. Nice town for a wander and great Fish 'n Chips.
Lastly Dunnet Head. Most northerly point on mainland UK. Had to be ticked as we've taken our daughter (who love W/C btw, so she's not dragged along kicking and screaming) to Ardnarmurchan (Most westerly point Mainland UK).

Talking of taking kids wilding, we're always mindful of being "safe" - i.e. not parking facing in, not getting drunk in case we're faced with a crisis, just sensible precautions that's all.

Of course camping has it's place for us, R&R plus washing clothes and showers and a chance to take it a bit easier for a day or two. We like the Glen Nevis Campsite as the view up (and down) from the wee hillock (what's all the fuss about !) is quite superb if you get the right spot.

Lovely Pics again Ralph-n-Bev, It's so us.

Chrz SafariMul.

Attachments

• DSCI0023.JPG
    DSCI0023.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 22
  • PICT0099.JPG
    PICT0099.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 24
  • PICT0125.JPG
    PICT0125.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 24
  • PICT0163.JPG