Morocco 2016 - Any changed minds? (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
For what its worth, I'm of the opinion that you're about as safe/unsafe in Morocco as you are anywhere in mainland Europe, providing that you steer clear on the major cities and/or tourist traps.
Right now, I'd certainly think twice before holidaying in London, Paris, Rome, or any other major city. My travel plans are now based around smaller cities / towns rather than the larger, high profile places.
I suspect that the Moroccan government is doing whatever it can to protect its tourist industry and whilst I'm mindful of what happened in Tunisia and more recently in Sharm, I'm also mindful that there have not as yet been attacks by lone terrorists/sympathisers against lone travellers.

Will I be traveling to Morocco this winter?

I'd love to, as we're already heading to Southern Spain, but Mrs C is going to take a bit more convincing to get her over the water to North Africa.
Robert, why don't you suggest you get an open ticket and agree to return to mainland Spain if any of her concerns materialise. It's an option.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
7th November 2015
mapmain-309297.jpg

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
So what do we all do stop at home wrapped in cotton wool.
My dad fought in the war and if his views were like some we would now be ruled by Hitler

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Robert, why don't you suggest you get an open ticket and agree to return to mainland Spain if any of her concerns materialise. It's an option.

I'd always suggest getting an open ticket - if you don't like it you can come straight back (it has been done!). On the other hand you may like it so much you can stay longer - subject of course to the three month visa limitation. And before anyone asks, you only need to get a visa if you are planning to stay in Morocco longer than 3 months.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd always suggest getting an open ticket - if you don't like it you can come straight back (it has been done!). On the other hand you may like it so much you can stay longer - subject of course to the three month visa limitation. And before anyone asks, you only need to get a visa if you are planning to stay in Morocco longer than 3 months.
Mrs C is certainly warming to the idea of visiting Marocco, however we'd only have two weeks to spend in Morocco. Would this be long enough?
Would the climate be better than southern Spain?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Mrs C is certainly warming to the idea of visiting Marocco, however we'd only have two weeks to spend in Morocco. Would this be long enough?
Two weeks is not much time for Morocco but if you plan your route and maybe get on the toll roads (they are much cheaper than Europe) and beat it down to Essaouira, lovely town, lovely beach, tourist friendly without being over the top. If your really want to visit Marrakesh it is not far from there, or maybe visit Meknes on the way home. It depends what you want to see but I would of though aiming for less is going to be more enjoyable.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Two weeks is not much time for Morocco but if your plan your route and maybe get on the toll roads (they are much cheaper than Europe) and beat it down to Essaouira, lovely town, lovely beach, tourist friendly without being over the top. If your really want to visit Marrakesh it is not far from there, or maybe visit Meknes on the way home. It depends what you want to see but I would of though aiming for less is going to be more enjoyable.
Thanks for that
We're not really into big cities as we don't really like the crowds, preferring to stick to smaller towns, in search of the 'real' feel of a place.
Toll roads would not be a concern to us, as we always use them when we need to 'go places'
What should we expect weather wise in January?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for that
We're not really into big cities as we don't really like the crowds, preferring to stick to smaller towns, in search of the 'real' feel of a place.
Toll roads would not be a concern to us, as we always use them when we need to 'go places'
What should we expect weather wise in January?
We were there in early February this year and although it's warm, warm enough for shorts on the beach during the day, it's still cold in the evenings, but then is in Morocco just about everywhere as soon as the sun goes down. We sat outside for lunch almost every day. I am sure @hilldweller will be another who will recommend Essaouira.

If we go back next Jan/Feb I intend to book on a cookery course at the cookery school we saw in the old streets of Essaouira, so we will be staying a few days there too.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

14 days is just about enough time to visit Essaouira.. that would give you 10 days to relax.. it's a nice place, great fish market .. popular with hippies in the 60s .. we enjoyed our visit.. and would definitely return ..
In Jan - Feb it should be nice during the day.. we were there in Feb 07 .. tee shirts with jumpers at night

a few pics to give you a taste..

DSC_2059(2).jpg DSC_2067(2).jpg DSC_2068(1).jpg DSC_2077(2).jpg DSC_2092(1).jpg DSC_2097.jpg DSC_2102(1).jpg DSC_2103(1).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
We were there in early February this year and although it's warm, warm enough for shorts on the beach during the day, it's still cold in the evenings, but then is in Morocco just about everywhere as soon as the sun goes down. We sat outside for lunch almost every day. I am sure @hilldweller will be another who will recommend Essaouira.

If we go back next Jan/Feb I intend to book on a cookery course at the cookery school we saw in the old streets of Essaouira, so we will be staying a few days there too.

PM @Malcolm Bolt they did the course in Essaouira two winters ago

Bryan

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks Bryan. I was talking to them at Malvern, wish I had mentioned it now. Will get in touch.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If we go back next Jan/Feb I intend to book on a cookery course at the cookery school we saw in the old streets of Essaouira said:
Look us up! We plan to make this our first short-mid stay after crossing in Jan. We can play Master - Chef, I'll be the judge of course.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Am I right in saying that my insurer is only likely to cover me for public liability only and that I won't get cover for fire, theft or anything else normally included in comprehensive insurance ?

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Am I right in saying that my insurer is only likely to cover me for public liability only and that I won't get cover for fire, theft or anything else normally included in comprehensive insurance ?

A question surely for your broker or insurer direct. Sure to get all sorts of answers here.

Bryan

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A question surerly for your broker or insurer direct. Sure to get all sorts of answers here.

Bryan
Hi Bryan
My policy document says public liability cover only in Morocco
Can I ask what your insurer covers?
Regards
Robert

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Bryan
My policy document says public liability cover only in Morocco
Can I ask what your insurer covers?
Regards
Robert

Sorry @Robert Clark, have not looked at my policy as unlikely to visit Morocco this winter. But if I was going I would certainly request written confirmation of extent of cover. On our last visit there we bought cover at the dockside in Tangier due to my stupidity in not arranging adequate cover with my insurer before travelling.

Bryan

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry @Robert Clark, have not looked at my policy as unlikely to visit Morocco this winter. But if I was going I would certainly request written confirmation of extent of cover. On our last visit there we bought cover at the dockside in Tangier due to my stupidity in not arranging adequate cover with my insurer before travelling.

Bryan
Hi Bryan
What type of cover were you able to purchase when you arrived ?
Regards
Robert

drago35uk

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Personally I would not go having been already. Nothing to do with terror threats just driving around in my expensive motorhome in front of people who could never dream of owning something so expensive does not sit comfortably with me. Nor does using cheap labour etc for repairs in what is a third world country. This is not an attack on those that do just that I would not be comfortable with it at all.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Nothing to do with terror threats just driving around in my expensive motorhome in front of people who could never dream of owning something so expensive does not sit comfortably with me.

But your are supporting them, they need you.

Every mud built home has a satellite dish on the roof, these are people with enough for their needs, it's you that needs to escape to where they spend their lives.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
If cheap labour offends....... Pay double!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bryan
Sod that it's half the fun haggling besides they ain't stupid and will only do a job if they can make money

As for not being comfortable with it we are putting money into a local economy that would not be there
you don't think the locals pay what we do I bet we pay at least double

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sod that it's half the fun haggling besides they ain't stupid and will only do a job if they can make money

........you don't think the locals pay what we do I bet we pay at least double

e.g.bread - locals pay Dh1. The "tourist" rate is Dh2.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We went to Morocco in August. Covered about 3000kms there. Never felt threatened or uncomfortable anywhere, neither in Marrakesh, Essaouira, Tafraoute etc., or out in the sticks. One of our very good Moroccan friends likened the country's position as being like the ripples caused by throwing a pebble into a pond - the further from the point of impact, the gentler the ripple ... and also that 4 religions have lived in total harmony there for centuries. His most emphasised comment was 'We have no oil, wink wink'.
The 2 female members of the party, one being very young & attractive daughter-in-law, never experienced any disrespect, on the contrary, any time of the day or night, city or countryside, everyone felt completely safe. (y)

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
@stcyr Interesting comments about your visit this year..... must have been v hot!

Your comments are on a thread nearly a year old at which time things were very unstable throughout the Islamic world, slightly better now.
Having said that, I am told that French reservations at Spanish sites on the Costas Brava, Blanca and del Sol are being made earlier and in greater numbers than in past years due, perhaps, to their nervous disposition about going to more traditional winter venues in North Africa.

Bryan

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
@stcyr Interesting comments about your visit this year..... must have been v hot!

Your comments are on a thread nearly a year old at which time things were very unstable throughout the Islamic world, slightly better now.
Having said that, I am told that French reservations at Spanish sites on the Costas Brava, Blanca and del Sol are being made earlier and in greater numbers than in past years due, perhaps, to their nervous disposition about going to more traditional winter venues in North Africa.

Bryan
My experience was that in 2015 there were less French motorhomes in Morocco due to them being advised not to go by the French authorities and this year they were back in force. I suspect many see the threat of terrorism is now higher in mainland Europe than Morocco. We have been twice, 2015 & 2016 and this year travelled 1000 miles south, into the Western Sahara after entering Morocco and at no time did we feel at risk or uncomfortable. The country is changing and my advice is do it while you can.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
It was incredibly hot in August - high forties with several days at over 50c. Even the Moroccans were complaining :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back