Gov't lose £80m after scrapping car tax discs (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ANPR is not working as it's a flawed system over loaded and crashes' regularly laving police with ineffective ANPR equipment
how do I know this I know some one who is a traffic cop and has to do manual checks on a Daly basis
bill

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
ANPR is only as good as the database that drives it. By their own admission, the DVLA database is only 60% accurate at any one given moment, hence why the police do further checks to verify an ANPR hit!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well surprise surprise !!

Anyone with 3 brain cells and have a criminal bent would simply clone another car of the same type and use the reg number from that !
Would never show up on ANPR and the chances of actually getting a tug is so remote it would not be any sort of risk at all.
Providing the cloner ( No such word I know but you know what I mean ) behaves them selves and does not get a parking or speeding ticket it will NEVER show up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Pair of number plates £19.99 on eBay no questions asked. Sold as 'show plates' only.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Oh what a surprise ....not, letting the great British public fend for them selves on organising their own tax disc with no visual reminder on your wind screen.
The government does make me laugh (in a kind of straight jacket way).

Just a thought, can it claim back from VW ? Must be about 80m in the shortfall of tax on that farce..

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Tax or sorn by law.
No tax or sorn will attract a fine automatically and any insurance will be void by default.

Only if the car is owned legally( registered to an address
Not if the car is not showing as owned at any address

There seems some in society are beyond the law
And rarely seem to be bothered by it

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I had a letter from Divots VLA saying one of my work vehicles was not taxed since 1st Oct,, wanting £80 fine, and £19.90 cost of unpaid tax, spent 98 mins on phone, 3 weeks e mailing , just to be told it is taxed but easiest way out of it is to pay the fine and costs, then it will be refunded to me when sorted out.
If I don't they even threaten County Court action.
YES THIS TRUE
A BLOOMING JOKE,

Cheeky sods

I would be off to court and claiming expensives

Unreal

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Adding tax to fuel will be a short term benefit to the few people doing low mileages. This will hit the commercial hauliers and the suggested 20p per litre will add a substantial extra cost to the cost of living as that increase will hit just about everything you buy

Be very careful about wishing for something - you might just get it and regret it !!!

Ahhh but it will also tax every non paying Gypsy, foreign tourist, everyone that buys fuel for their motorboat, lawnmower, chain saw etc etc etc.

Reactions: GJH
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
the latest scam is three same model cars change the plates to match one brother has one in Bradford the other in London the third in Bristol ANPR sees all three cars as taxed and registered CHANCES OF ANYONE LOOKING AT THE VIN PLATES =0

And copying a tax disc to match said number plates wouldn`t be that difficult, the tax disc was an antiquated system, as it didn`t show if the vehicle was insured or had a current MOT it was just a point of reference.

Put the cost on to fuel and then there is no way you can cheat the system, if you buy fuel you pay the tax.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Its not as if the Government are losing money on the Dartford Crossing due to non-payers :rofl:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And copying a tax disc to match said number plates wouldn`t be that difficult, the tax disc was an antiquated system, as it didn`t show if the vehicle was insured or had a current MOT it was just a point of reference.

Put the cost on to fuel and then there is no way you can cheat the system, if you buy fuel you pay the tax.

That is not true
The way the tax disk was printed was quite specific.. In fact very similar in some ways to the way money is printed
It is extremely easy to spot a duff tax disk, especially under street lights !

But I do agree about putting the tax on fuel.
A far fairer system all round

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I wonder if the same journalist has worked out how much the government are ahead on their double tax on month of sale scam. 7 million second hand car deals each year, average tax say £20 per month per vehicle,total take £140m. That puts the bast*rds £60m up even if the non payment number is correct.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I wonder if the same journalist has worked out how much the government are ahead on their double tax on month of sale scam. 7 million second hand car deals each year, average tax say £20 per month per vehicle,total take £140m. That puts the bast*rds £60m up even if the non payment number is correct.

Apparently even that figure is very conservative !

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It was also easy for police to spot untaxed cars – something that it is no longer possible.

What a load of crap.
Police cars are fitted with ANP cameras which instantly alert the police to any irregularities.

Plod in a car couldn't physically see if a car had a current tax disc unless the untaxed car was stopped for something else.

I don't care where these stats have come from, I dispute the figures.

What is a police car,,,,,,,,none round here. BUSBY.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Pair of number plates £19.99 on eBay no questions asked. Sold as 'show plates' only.
the latest scam is three same model cars change the plates to match one brother has one in Bradford the other in London the third in Bristol ANPR sees all three cars as taxed and registered CHANCES OF ANYONE LOOKING AT THE VIN PLATES =0
Yep seen that in a petrol station in Walsall.....guy opens up his boot to reveal a selection of plates, thinking what shall I wear today ?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Put it on the fuel.
I'm buying in the Irish Republic at cica £0.80 pence/litre....... Be cheap tax !
every British haulier would go out of business over night prices of good would go up
t would effect every thing we buy incuing the diesel we buy
bill

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The method of collecting the various taxes imposed on the motorist is not likely to change as the govt is far too greedy

The change in the VEL disk loosing £80m is absolutely nothing in the over all scheme of things..
I doubt they would have even noticed it !!

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
every British haulier would go out of business over night prices of good would go up
bill
It would be simple enough to allow bona-fida hauliers (and possibly some other businesses) to claim a rebate on their tax returns. This could be achieved very simply by creating a new VAT rate for road fuel.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The trouble is, they have been so damned greedy over the years that if a govt stuck a meaningful amount of tax on fuel it would quite probably cause its fall !

Motorists have been hammered so long and so hard we simply do not trust ANYTHING the money grabbing gits do any more.

I am still amazed they got away with the latest rip off re unable to sell a vehicle with VEL in place.
It is another move that has cost the collective UK motorists a minimum of £120m with some estimates more than tripling that figure

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
80m how many potholes or police would that finance
bill
I'm seriously behind the times. I'm still in the Blair/Brown era when these things were measured in Nurses.
How many potholes are there to a Policeman? and What is the conversion rate between Policemen and Nurses?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
bill

I suspect the Haulage industry, would quickly "negotiate" rebates (on VAT perhaps?) to compensate.
I have long held that the tax should be on the Fuel. Those who used less, would benefit. If like some older drivers you only go out once or twice a week. Say to do the "big Shop" and the Doctors etc; You are paying to keep it in your garage. Whilst others are being used 24/7 (Multiple drivers, carpools, Cab Co`s etc) for the same VED?. Also "they" might take more notice of the "lead Foot" and improve their driving skills to get better MPG`s?

Pete

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'm another in favour of the tax on the fuel, ie, if you use it, you pay for it.
It just seems to be the fairest system, and the one that is least likely to be abused. Obviously, arrangements would have to be in situ for essential users in the way of rebates, etc.

Cheers,

Jock.:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Tax or sorn by law.
No tax or sorn will attract a fine automatically and any insurance will be void by default.
just being pedantic but under UK law & now EU law it is not ,nor was ever ,
possible to have " no insurance " . Regardless of what you actually do or don't do the insurance company has always had to pay for any damages caused to third parties, not including the insured. There fore the offence of having no insurance cannot exist or be used to prosecute a person.
Additionally you don't actually need insurance the requirement is that you can fully cover all and every claim that is likely to arise from any incident you may have.
It is still possible to deposit a sum of money withe theAttorney Generals office to cover all & any claim that may be made against you. I had reason to check to see whether this was stil lawful last year as it is what all the " cash in transit" companies , securicor ,etc; used in the 70's as no one would entertaiin insuring them. At that time you had to deposit 15k pounds , I believe ( might have been 25k) In 1999 this had risen to 500k pounds & the last time I looked it was 25 million ! But .......they pay you 4% yearly on it . (y)
Agree put a few pence on fuel, no vehicle excise duty
Excise duty definination
It would be around 22-23p per litre it would need to ride. & billion divided by litres of petrol & diesel sold gives this figure-

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back