Best position for gas fill point on Hymer B class (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks for the answers so far and please keep them coming.

Mousy - I could fit it in the locker, as that is what I did on my previous van. But I am worried about the increased banning of refueling like that by garages.

Jim - that is is the area I was thinking of putting it because it is nice and easy. But my skirt is more curved than yours appears to be. It is made up of one continuous width of ali and there are no pop rivets showing like yours and Tony's. Obviously Hymer have have changed them recently.

Tony - I do not have as much distance to the wheel arch as you do. In theory I could put it a bit higher (which would be OK by me) but I can't find a way to get to the back of the panel at that point - seems to be hidden under trim in the driver's cab area.
It was done by the PO and I'm not sure how they accessed it. My efforts have been limited to cutting down the cylinder valve guards / handles so the pipework connections to the cylinders could be made safe & tidy. I also put pegs in the base of the locker to keep the cylinders in place, separated the regulator from the Gaslow indicator thingy and replaced the hinged lower part of the locker with a stainless replacement screwed in place. The ex-hinged part needs to be detached to remove the cylinders - not something that's needed very often with the Gaslow system. It's a bit crowded in there - hence the mods. In future I might add another filler to the opposite side of the vehicle as it can be somewhat inconvenient as it is when filling with Diesel and LPG at the same time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny, does your skirt have reinforcement ridges on the back like mine? Mine have 55mm clearance between them, so I will need a backing plate no larger than that. Is that OK with the one you linked to please.
The filler is 28mm dia, and it is fitted from the front so you just need a 29 -30mm plus the 4 mounting holes.
Yes my skirt has the ridges and it is mounted through the middle of them. Easy way would be to drill a pilot hole from the rear in the centre of the ridges then use a hole cutter from the outside, do put plenty of masking tape around the area first, just in case.
The curved surface doesn't case any problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just want to thank everybody for their help. Without I am not sure I would have had the courage to sort this out.

Anyway I ordered a small filler point and hose from Autogas 2000 on Thursday evening. Much to my surprise the postman delivered it on Saturday morning. So I got to work fitting it. VERY unnerving drilling a hole through the skirt of my nice new van. Measured ten times and drilled once though.

Now all done - and here are a couple of photos of the finished job.

P1020694.JPG

P1020695.JPG

The small fill point looks very smart I think.

Again thanks to you all.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Just want to thank everybody for their help. Without I am not sure I would have had the courage to sort this out.

Anyway I ordered a small filler point and hose from Autogas 2000 on Thursday evening. Much to my surprise the postman delivered it on Saturday morning. So I got to work fitting it. VERY unnerving drilling a hole through the skirt of my nice new van. Measured ten times and drilled once though.

Now all done - and here are a couple of photos of the finished job.

View attachment 84540

View attachment 84541

The small fill point looks very smart I think.

Again thanks to you all.
How have you got on with the small filler in that position? My B544 looks the same as yours in the gas box area and I am thinking of doing the same, though using a Gaslow bottle but with the small Gasit type filler.
I thought it may be a bit low, but better that than making a hole in the body.
Have you covered/protected the back of the filler from road grime?
Tim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
How have you got on with the small filler in that position? My B544 looks the same as yours in the gas box area and I am thinking of doing the same, though using a Gaslow bottle but with the small Gasit type filler.
I thought it may be a bit low, but better that than making a hole in the body.
Have you covered/protected the back of the filler from road grime?
Tim
Simple answer is that I have not yet used it in anger. The gas bottle was full before I transferred it and I have only used the motorhome for 6 nights since. It is now almost empty and I will be filling it tomorrow on our way to the Channel tunnel for a few weeks away.

It is low but I think I can manage it by squatting. The alternatives did not really appeal to me, which would be to run the HP fill hose through the inside of the motorhome. As it was I was able to run the hose through the gap between the floor of the gas bottle locker and its door (presumably it was there to act as the gas drop out). And I thought replacing a length of skirt would be a lost cheaper than the whole side of the motorhome if I got it wrong!!

I didn't see the point of covering or protecting the back of it. It did not seem any more vulnerable than the other bits on the underside. And, have I have already said, there is already a 25mm gap between the locker floor and door that is directly behind the drive wheels, that appears to be more vulnerable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back