Morocco 2016 - Any changed minds? (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Busman said:
Dam, might have to rethink now.
;)
You can't upset me Dave,at the moment we are in New South Wales staying in a butifull house right on the coast backing onto rainforest.Today a family of kangaroos were eating just yards from our terrace,and the best thing is we are with daughter and granddaughters,bliss.See you both in Morocco:moon2:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're fed up with the weather here too and can't wait until the New Year to get on our way. Going to console ourselves with a couple of Christmas markets (UK) for the moment.

(Anyone who is still considering and wants some more info, go to the Morocco 2016 thread)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I would not be too alarmed at this, much of Europe is rated at a high risk with UK rated severe. Providing you use a bit of common sense and vigilant you will be fine. There will be thousands of motorhomes heading down to Spain, Portugal and Morocco this winter and they will be fine. How many motorhomes do you know or have heard off who have been attacked by terrorists in the last 5 years. I know of none. Also, there are members in this forum who are quick to condem Morocco and in my view have a bias aginst the country and/or perhaps Funsters who choose to go there.
The alternative is to sell your motorhome, lock your windows and dors and never leave your home.

None but isn't gassing the big danger,,,:D:D:D BUSBY.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As for roads, I believe now there is a motorway from tangiers port to Marrakech. Bit of a shame really.

Yes but most of the rest are just as dangerous.

I think you need to go at the right time on a bike or else cook to death. And choose a bike that can soak up the bumps though you don't have to go as far as Ewan and Charlie.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Probably safer than many european countries at the moment.
But you'll never convince some folks of that.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Mali today, 27 dead, too close to Morocco for my liking/comfort, so to go or not to go is becoming an easier decision to make. Problems last week in Algeria next door, must also be taken into account. Portugal beginning to look even more attractive for the winter.

Bryan

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Our Moroccan friends in Agadir and Tafaroute have both told us that there are more under cover Police and Army in Morocco than those you will see in Uniform ..

Facebook and Maroc telecom etc emails are all monitored ... we were told be careful what internet sites you go on .

As the French found out after they were filmed dumping the cassette behind Chris the Dutch mans van last year in Tafaroute ,

The Police and Army arrived the morning after the video was put on the Germans Facebook page looking for them .

i think as others have said , keep away from the cities and crowded tourist areas , in ANY countries including the UK . not just Morocco .

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
charlottes the only one smiling !!! actually 12 of my friends went to morocco on friday,due back tuesday,(hotel not mh) spoke to my mate today,,there having a great time !!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Flew to Sweden on Thursday, the day they raised the threat level there, flew back today, apparently Iceland is safe at the moment, fooking cold though!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They won't. I said in a post earlier this week. Security Consultants/Advisors, even the better ones will always err toward caution. Their advice is almost always judged in hindsight so being cautious is how they protect themselves. This ensures the advice they give can't be effectively compromised. Wrong, yes. But explains why travel advice, no matter where you're going, is always scary.

A map showing where it's safe for Americans to travel. (According to their state department) :rofl: Sort of proves my point about Security Advisers :)

24893-qwtzti.jpg

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Well the ferry's booked we sail from portsmouth 4th jan, only got a 1 way ticket just in case we get shot then a return would have been a waste of money
Be careful with your travel insurance. Many insist on a return booking to make them valid. Give the insurer a call to check the validity of the policy with no return ticket.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
A map showing where it's safe for Americans to travel. (According to their state department) :rofl: Sort of proves my point about Security Advisers :)

24893-qwtzti.jpg
That will ensure the Christmas shopping gives the local economy a boost.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Be careful with your travel insurance. Many insist on a return booking to make them valid. Give the insurer a call to check the validity of the policy with no return ticket.
Not sure about return ticket but when giving a quote they do ask for return date. I guess this is the date the policy expires so really does not matter if you are still abroad after this date.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just done our Travel insurance with Safesure they wanted the exact date we will be arriving back in the uk , not when our tickets were valid until .
No problem when i said Morocco.

Van insurance was no problem ( safegaurd )

Just the personal health / travel insurance , We were with C & CC but it has gone up over £200 since last year . and more restrictions with the number of days out of the UK ,

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Mali today, 27 dead, too close to Morocco for my liking/comfort, so to go or not to go is becoming an easier decision to make. Problems last week in Algeria next door, must also be taken into account. Portugal beginning to look even more attractive for the winter.

Bryan

London is closer to Marrakech than Bamako

Algeria is also a huge country - a littlebit of which is next to morocco.

Still - it is abroad - so I suppose it must be more dangerous!!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
A lot has been done recently to minimise the aggression and rudeness often seen in threads where different views meet. Yet again though this thread has seen a few posts which are aggressive and totally dismissive of any view but the posters own. That coupled with the snide posts which infer that the more wary are in some way cowardly/chicken/wet contribiute nothing to a thread based as far as I can see on a genuine and fairly straightforward question.
To answer the OP from my persepective. I would love to visit Morocco, not just for the sun, sea, and favourable currency rate but because my hobbies would all be enhanced by a prolonged winter's rambling.
On balance and based on what I read and my personal experience and knowledge (fwiw) such a trip has now been ruled out in my retirement year. The reasons for the decision are many and varied but I will highlight what are for me the two most important.
Firstly, the hydra headed monster that is Daesh is drawn to large groups of Westerners like sh*t to a blanket but increasingly it will find it more difficult to murder even unarmed civilians in the numbers it wishes in it's chosen 'soft targets' across Europe. It will (imo) seek to find groups of Westerners in places where it can murder them and slink back into the shadows with ease. Morocco may or may not be such a place, who knows?
Secondly, on the European Mainland we can be 'reasonably' sure that the forces of law and order have roughly the same aims as do we. Anyone who is prepared to state that the same is true of all elements of law and order in any North African state is being just a little too trusting in my view.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
is true of all elements of law and order in any North African state is being just a little too trusting in my view.

That a bit of a broad sweep in my humble opinion.

Having been to Morocco twice I come away with the impression of hard locked down Police State. Wall to wall armed police and military with routine road blocks everywhere. I get the impression the King favours Europe as a way forward, like wine in supermarkets, European factories, against the Muslim ideals and so enforces this with an iron rod. Also, they need our cash badly, we are valuable to them.

So my, pretty ignorant, assessment is the risk is no worse than Europe. Or maybe better, I doubt any politically correct reading their rights and good food for any suspects over there.

Just my feeling. 'er indoors does not want to return but just cultural problems like the begging.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
For what its worth, I'm of the opinion that you're about as safe/unsafe in Morocco as you are anywhere in mainland Europe, providing that you steer clear on the major cities and/or tourist traps.
Right now, I'd certainly think twice before holidaying in London, Paris, Rome, or any other major city. My travel plans are now based around smaller cities / towns rather than the larger, high profile places.
I suspect that the Moroccan government is doing whatever it can to protect its tourist industry and whilst I'm mindful of what happened in Tunisia and more recently in Sharm, I'm also mindful that there have not as yet been attacks by lone terrorists/sympathisers against lone travellers.

Will I be traveling to Morocco this winter?

I'd love to, as we're already heading to Southern Spain, but Mrs C is going to take a bit more convincing to get her over the water to North Africa.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are a few maps you can find online but inevitably they are all out of date as they can't reflect the latest events. This map from June 2015 show Europe. It's interesting why France and Spain are marked in red - and it's for different reasons.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...-Tunisia-countries-AVOID-visiting-summer.html

This world map dates from 2013 but show Morroco a bit higher than western Europe.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
That coupled with the snide posts which infer that the more wary are in some way cowardly/chicken/wet contribiute nothing to a thread based as far as I can see on a genuine and fairly straightforward question.
Whilst I have seen opposing views on Morocco, I have missed the above and would appreciate it if you could show me these comments.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back