LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can I remind all Funsters that the Authorities in Spain insist (in THAT document ) that each Motorhome has the equipment necessary to change the tyre, or at least some"alternative system"???
So, whilst the absence of the tyre, wheel and/or squirty stuff is OK in the UK you might incur the wrath of Senor Flic ( mixing my metaphores) in Spain.
Viz:
5. - EQUIPMENT The minimum equipment which a motorhome should carry, will be in accordance with Annex XII of the General Rules of Vehicle, as follows: One set of replacement light bulbs, in prime condition and the necessary tools to change the light bulbs; two portable, red, triangle devices to forewarn of danger; a spare wheel or a temporary wheel with the necessary tools required to change the wheel or an alternative system, which offers sufficient guarantee for the mobility of the vehicle.

Last edited:

oaktree11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Cheddar, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner i640G
Exp
We are new to motorhomes!
I have had two occasions in the past on cars where the supplied tyre goo was useless because the damage to the tyre was too great - never again for me. As Badknee so rightly says, it doesnt take much to make the tyre unsuitable for the goo. I am faced with the same dilemma with my Burstner. The jack, tools and the goo kit are in the MH garage but I really want a spare wheel. I really like Puddleduck's idea of a tyre with no rim and as it happens, I have a tyre.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
this is the spanish version
Broken Link Removed

this is the english version
Broken Link Removed

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
I have a Burstner with garage, with jack and tools no spare so i bought alloy wheel and tyre to match £260.00 all in love the piece of mind.

Bill

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ours is a pvc so the supplied jack works fine not so the chocolate wheel brace that fiat supply ,that disintegrated the first twist. In a sane world it would be deemed not fit for purpose and fiats would be forced to replace them if they couldn't prove they could get the wheels of a van that had done say 20000 miles. Gunk is ok for a tire thats deflating slowly but useless if it pops at any speed
I wouldn't go anywhere without a spare

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Can I remind all Funsters that the Authorities in Spain insist (in THAT document ) that each Motorhome has the equipment necessary to change the tyre, or at least some"alternative system"???
So, whilst the absence of the tyre, wheel and/or squirty stuff is OK in the UK you might incur the wrath of Senor Flic ( mixing my metaphores) in Spain.
Viz:
5. - EQUIPMENT The minimum equipment which a motorhome should carry, will be in accordance with Annex XII of the General Rules of Vehicle, as follows: One set of replacement light bulbs, in prime condition and the necessary tools to change the light bulbs; two portable, red, triangle devices to forewarn of danger; a spare wheel or a temporary wheel with the necessary tools required to change the wheel or an alternative system, which offers sufficient guarantee for the mobility of the vehicle.
"or an alternative system"
I think you will find those few words cover the bottle of "gunk" that is supplied.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
@Techno100 and others, I'm still getting very vexed about this spare wheel problem so much so that if I can't find a solution I may just give up motor homing. Up till now my solution was to sell our Swift which is just over 2 years old and buy a MH with a spare wheel.
There are other reasons such as layout, making beds etc. but the total loss to us would be at least £10,000 and I can live with our existing layout, just! The thought of losing all this money and then stumping up another £10K or so is giving me sleepless nights.

I found some more information about wheels/tyres here:
Broken Link Removed
and it seems that the weight of spare steel wheel and tyre is about 26 kilos, the weight of the carrier is extra of course. I did weigh our MH but the weigh bridge details are with the MH in storage so I have no sight of them just now.

Last night I was looking at getting a Beenybox fitted
http://www.beenybox.co.uk
I could then put some of the gear we currently carry in our backbox in this and just carry a spare tyre (no wheel) in the backbox along with chairs and water carrier ( I have worked out rear wall loadings )

The only other thing would be to check measurements/space under the MH and seek out someone to fit the carrier etc. but I don't know where to turn for this.
I'm really sorry to bang on about this but I'm tearing my hair out and there isn't much latitude there either:D.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I'm still getting very vexed about this spare wheel problem

it seems that the weight of spare steel wheel and tyre is about 26 kilos, the weight of the carrier is extra of course.

@Mack100
I share your anxiety about travelling without a spare wheel.

When I sat down to add extras to my new Hymer, a spare wheel was one of the first things I specified; way ahead of all the pretty things.

I agree with you about the weight penalty. My garage-mounted 16 inch steel spare wheel and tyre weighs 25 kilos including mounting bracket.

Stef.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
As soon as I bought my van I added a spare wheel and a good job I did as I have had two blowouts in 7 years where the latex and pump would have been totally useless

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
When I had 6 new camping tyres fitted last year I had tyron bands fitted, "its called peace of mind"
Tyron is a patented lightweight well-filler band that converts a standard steel or alloy wheel into a safety wheel. When fitted, it will significantly improve the performance and safety of any wheel or tyre in the event of deflation. At speed it assists the driver in maintaining steering, cornering ,braking and traction control. It provides a short run-flat capability so you can choose a safe place to stop and change the wheel.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
When I had 6 new camping tyres fitted last year I had tyron bands fitted

We always used Tyron Bands when we were tuggers. You only have to see the number of caravans on their side on the motorways to realise how devastating a blow-out can be when towing a van.
Not that many of them travel far too fast of course.
Stef.

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
After suffering a blow out (chose those words carefully!) and no spare wheel and all the hassle of the next to useless repair kit......I decided that when buying a new van my number one priority would be to only buy a van that had a proper spare wheel. And that is exactly what I did. Total peace of mind on that front now.
And from what I can see, I think the kits will be slowly phased out and spare wheels fitted as the norm.
After all, the extra cost when compared to the overall cost is minimal.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We don't want to lose that much of the space in the garage/payload allowance to have a spare in the motorhome & just found out that a spare can't be retro fitted under our year old new to us car :( We do have the gunk kits & highly rated recovery on both vehicles. We have bought TyrePal for the motorhome http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...-until-31-december.117843/page-3#post-1642605 & although our car already has Ford fitted TPMS we also have TyrePal on that too (y) We had a faulty (car) tyre which had a bulge after only one year which was luckily picked up at MOT so safety biggest issue for us not inconvenience.

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It's a common issue. Do you have break-down cover? If so check the small print to find out if they will attend punctures. Mine does as long as you have a spare wheel unless the vehicle was supplied without a spare when they will attend regardless.

The other question to ask is would you be able and willing to change a wheel on a 3.5 tonne vehicle on the side of a road / motorway? I wouldn't and I wouldn't let my hubby do it either - far safer to be recovered to a place where the wheel can be changed without danger.

I now carry a spare tyre. If you alert the breakdown service to the fact you have a sparetyre to be fitted to the wheel but no spare wheel they can either send a truck with fittings that allow the tyre change or get you somewhere that can. It appeared to be the best compromise for us :)

Same here, we carry a spare tyre as our Rapido is near max weight so a spare wheel is out of the question.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our first van had a spare (Dethleffs) second van had no spare and the canister rubbish, third van has a spare. At the time we had the second van (Chausson Allegro 96 on a Fiat X/250) I also had a car with the same syatem and that's why I say rubbish. The car had a flat and I tried to use the canister and it enabled me (just) to trundle down to the nearest tyre fitter a mere 2 miles downhill. The fitter said the tyre was doomed and said he wouldn't entertain anything less than a proper spare, even on a car, never mind a motorhome. Hence we now have a van with a spare.

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
Am I missing something here?.....many responders seem to be full of praise for their TYREPAL systems.....but...am I wrong in thinking that regardlesss of whether you are made aware of the 'of the moment' tyre pressures....then whatever system you have won't be of any use in the event of a puncture?
You're still left with an undriveable 3 wheeler!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Am I missing something here?.....many responders seem to be full of praise for their TYREPAL systems.....but...am I wrong in thinking that regardlesss of whether you are made aware of the 'of the moment' tyre pressures....then whatever system you have won't be of any use in the event of a puncture?
You're still left with an undriveable 3 wheeler!
Yes - but with advance warning maybe not a wrecked tyre?

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
Got it!.....now even more glad that I have a spare!

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Yes - but with advance warning maybe not a wrecked tyre?
Quite right, but for me it's more to with saving the wheel itself, if I can't fit a wheel carrier underneath then I'm just going to buy a tyre.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I cant thing of one good reason not to have or buy a spare wheel and tyre.

Bill
I can. Over 20 years since I last needed to use one. And on a MH it's yet another part to age & need replacement through under-use. And I think the main issue is weight - not the avoidance of spending on one.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
With millions of motorhomes across UK,France,Germany,Spain,Portugal etc etc etc without a spare there cannot be that much of a problem if they are all running. I fully understand the worry of some that they do not have a spare, but for now I'm happy enough not having one supplied.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Any of you funsters own a Ducato 08 onwards needing a 16" spare wheel I have a brand new one with an unused tyre on it for sale.

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
Fair do's...each to their own I suppose....and admittedly the 'tyre only' option seems to be a reasonable compromise....but when purchasing my current mh I only considered vehicles with a factory fitted spare. Reason was due to a blow out on the M25 in a previous mh with no spare...just one of those kit things which was as good as useless! Dread to think of the aggro if that had happened abroad. But accept personal opinions re same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back