No Solo,s Allowed (1 Viewer)

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Briarose, I am in the same situation as you, My husband and I sailed together for many years, so yes, it is a huge change. BUT, we carry on as they would want us to.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I've read this, and the other post and I can see both sides of the 'argument'.

The site can make its own rules so long as it has reasons to do it and it is not illegal or sex discriminatory - it seems plausible that the 'no solos' rule its due to the risk of paedophiles / sexual preditors (a threat against children and/or adults) staying on the site as I assume in the vast majority of cases these type of 'people' (and I use the word loosely!) act alone.

I don't think there's a cat in hell's chance that they will change the rule at all - they are between a rock and a hard place - how do they know that the cuddly old gentleman is not an 'offender' and, unfortunately, a lovely older lady for the same reason ... where do they draw the line - let in someone who's 57 but not 55? The only thing they can do if they want to keep the rule is to NOT make any exceptions - can you imagine how the reception staff would feel if they did and the person they'd let in then abused a child ... they have the rule in my view in order to give families with children some 'security' that the site is trying to make it difficult for offenders to stay there and hopefully have a safer environment for the family to relax and enjoy themselves on holiday - they are the vast majority of their clientel and so it makes financial sense - at the end of the day they are a business.

Now for the specific situation that happened - the site was TOTALLY AND UNEQUIVICALLY WRONG in that they did not make it clear at the time of the phone booking that this rule applied and could not be waived. To refer you to the T&Cs on the website is wrong as not everyone has access to it and it appears not to be 'obvious'. This situation could easily have never occurred had they asked, at the time of booking, how many people were staying in each unit booked - a simple enough thing to do and I would have thought required for fire/safety recording.

To Briarose - I am so sorry that this happened and can empathise with you over it, but do not let this incident affect you - mark it down as just a bit of 'education' as all it has done is make you aware that some sites have this policy so you won't find yourself in this situation again. It would have been even worse if this had happened when you were not with friends but on your own, at least they were there with you and able to tell a 'porky' so you could stay.

Put it down to experience - after what you've had to go through previously it is just a blip ... so they won't get your business anymore, that's their loss - there are lots of other places out there to stay so get out and enjoy them girl! (y)

Minxy says it so much better than my quick reply did. The site has the right to set its own rules and as long as no laws are broken this is fine. You call it discrimination, the site near our workshop does not allow children to stay on site overnight, its an adult only site. In your terms this is discrimination too. The site's mistake was in taking a booking for a solo traveller without clarifying the "no solos" rule.

D.

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Minxy says it so much better than my quick reply did. The site has the right to set its own rules and as long as no laws are broken this is fine. You call it discrimination, the site near our workshop does not allow children to stay on site overnight, its an adult only site. In your terms this is discrimination too. The site's mistake was in taking a booking for a solo traveller without clarifying the "no solos" rule.

D.
I will take that...but also point out, that I still can't see the real reason for it. I know a Friend has been in touch and indeed is very offended by their reply. I know I can argue it until the cows come home and it won't make a difference with Searles....however it might prevent someone else going through this same thing. Shame as I actually like the site for a winter destination and would for sure have returned ... ESP when on my own.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I will take that...but also point out, that I still can't see the real reason for it. I know a Friend has been in touch and indeed is very offended by their reply. I know I can argue it until the cows come home and it won't make a difference with Searles....however it might prevent someone else going through this same thing. Shame as I actually like the site for a winter destination and would for sure have returned ... ESP when on my own.
Yes it's a shame as you seem to have really taken to the place but unfortunately it would appear than nothing will change so the options are to either find somewhere else or take a 'dummy' passenger of some sort with you ... beware though if you go down the latter route as a search on the internet for a suitable one brings up LOTS of very unsuitable ones!:X3:

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Yes it's a shame as you seem to have really taken to the place but unfortunately it would appear than nothing will change so the options are to either find somewhere else or take a 'dummy' passenger of some sort with you ... beware though if you go down the latter route as a search on the internet for a suitable one brings up LOTS of very unsuitable ones!:X3:
Lol !

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Some of the views expressed in this thread beggar belief. So it's OK to ban singles in case they are paedophiles? Male and female? Of any age? How do they know a cuddly old man or woman isn't a paedophile? How do we know paedophiles operate on their own? And what percentage of the single population is prone to kiddy-fiddling? Negotiating the local High Street is a nightmare with Grandchildren in tow. especially without my wife beside me to curb my 'tendencies'. As for the view that a site can choose who to allow on well ........... no it can't. It can't refuse Irish people, or those with a dark skin, or those with same-sex interests, or those of a particular religious persuasion. But no matter. It can exercise its prejudices by making sure that the few hundredths of a percent (I'm guessing) of singles who have paedophilic interests can't get near. By banning everyone who is not currently accompanied by another person.

So that's all right then?

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Well said Tony
Minxygirl is just being minxy,may be one day when she is alone female,she might have some understanding of how it feels to be classed as a second class citizen, that's why there are laws in this country against discrimination .

As I said originally the aim of my post was to warn solo travels about SEARLES rules,and the compassion I felt for the person concerned ,as a widow myself I have some understanding of the hurt she must have felt.

Reactions: DBK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well said Tony
Minxygirl is just being minxy,may be one day when she is alone female,she might have some understanding of how it feels to be classed as a second class citizen, that's why there are laws in this country against discrimination .

As I said originally the aim of my post was to warn solo travels about SEARLES rules,and the compassion I felt for the person concerned ,as a widow myself I have some understanding of the hurt she must have felt.
What a condescending post! Please explain what you mean by me 'just being minxy' as I find it offensive!

I assume you haven't read the posts I've made on the other thread, or have chosen to ignore them! I have never said I agree with the 'no singles' rule ... not once, I said I could understand why it is possibly in place and maybe reasons for it but NEVER have I said I agree with it. I have said several times that they were WRONG in the way it was handled.

As for being discriminated against ... being single (eg due to bereavement, or choice) is NOT classed in law as discrimination AFAIK - being Irish, gay, black, white are all things that CANNOT be changed, but being single can ... not saying that you should but it is something that can. I remember well when my Mum used to go on holiday on her own and had to pay a singles supplement but that was because she had to have a twin/double room normally ... she didn't like having to do this but I certainly wouldn't have said it was discrimination as the hotel was just making up for the lost room 'revenue' from having only a single occupant.

In the case of the campsite the fee appears to be the same regardless of how many are in each unit so the 'single revenue' issue isn't applicable however they are catering for the vast majority of their 'clientel' - if they didn't think there was a good reason for the rule I don't think they'd have it in place as it must 'cost' them due to single people who want to stay not being able to.

Please enlighten me on how you are made to feel a 'second class citizen' as I'll run it by my Mum and see if she agrees - she's been single for a long time and other than the above 'holiday' scenario has NEVER made this comment to me.

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
I think it's more the fact that they should not have taken the booking, not wait till someone turns up and then refuse them
From a woman's point of view, it's humiliating and embarrassing, and from this lady's point of view, very distressing as only recently lost her husband.
Thankyou....unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to be able to grasp the point of this. I have just shaken my head in disbelief at another post on the motorhome chat forum....saying the only thing wrong is the way we bent the rules ref someone coming to stay with me, not my usual way of doing things...but it was getting late on a winter Sunday afternoon. I believe the Receptionist knew that anyway. It doesn't seem to matter how much I repeat this ref not being told...and I just wanted to make others aware, ESP single lady travellers...who might end up stuck out on a limb somewhere at this time of the year. I appreciate your comments as it truly does sum up just how I felt x

shane the nomad

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Anywhere the handbrake go's on
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Two years ...so newbie....ish !!!
Im thinking other peoples money is better than her's ??? Stupid rule's,Easy option,go elsewhere ,where you be made welcome,plenty of sites in the area,some like Searles that are commercial and others that are smaller with room to spread out :) i find ukcampsite.co.uk helpfull

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
I still can't see the real reason for it

I believe the reason is financial. Its the same as the reason that hotels etc often charge a very hefty single supplement.
The establishments assume that a single person is less likely to use the bars/restaurants etc on offer, as people mostly don't go out to bars/restaurants etc by themselves, so singles are classed as unlikely to spend on the high profit extras the site offers, so not nearly as desirable as couples/families etc that will spend spend spend during their holiday.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Lesley that is a thought,
I recently went into a bar in Spain,with my dog,and ordered a glass of wine,reply was just one!! Answer yes my dog has stopped drinking as he,s an alcoholic! Gave a few people round the bar a laugh anyway.
image.jpg

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Im thinking other peoples money is better than her's ??? Stupid rule's,Easy option,go elsewhere ,where you be made welcome,plenty of sites in the area,some like Searles that are commercial and others that are smaller with room to spread out :) i find ukcampsite.co.uk helpfull
Trouble is...not at this time of year.

shane the nomad

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Anywhere the handbrake go's on
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Two years ...so newbie....ish !!!
Simple solution,One you have already highlighted how poor customer service they offer,Second,Avoid and find a welcoming site in the region.Plenty to choose from in and around hunstanton.A lovely little site just out of town 5 van adults only

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ah, so no unmarrieds, no widows or widowers, no divorced people ........................... bloomin' maddening. Most sites have a price that includes two adults and two children and so single people are already paying over the odds...

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
What about the drunken solo funsters??

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
They published a statement on their Facebook Page.

I posted my reply, I dare say it'll be removed once their Page Manager crawls out from under their stone
www.facebook.com/SearlesLeisureResort

"I'd never heard of Searles until this broke out on some of the big motorhome forums - all of it negative. Over the past few days, it's been reported on local and now national news - only then does this vile, disgusting company / family decide to try and save some form of face. Too late, the image / "brand" is tainted.
Next time you're going to screw up on such a monumental scale, hire a PR Consultant first. That way, you might actually walk away with some shred of credibility."

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Just a little bit of discretion on the part of the receptionist at check in would have avoided all this nonsense.

Searles have handled it badly but I don't consider the company or the family vile and disgusting.

The actual site on the other hand ....

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I can work out how to put a post on the site web .. but it will be removed .. is there a way to put a response on the report on it please? Please keep it simple as I am not technical minded. Thank you.

The Returnee

Free Member
May 28, 2017
Togo
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
In 1983 I drove from England to Lomé
So this is what I have to look forward to?
I've been a headmaster in an international school: typically 36 nationalities of students and 11 of teachers; adults of all types and persuasions and many touchy problems to resolve, for nearly 40 years.
I'm returning to the UK later this year and intend to spend the first two years getting acquainted with the UK again, to make up for being away for so long.
My boys are grown up, so I'll be touring on my own.
It never occurred to me that I'd have people looking at me, wondering if I was up to no good...

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
@The Returnee Don't let one bad apple spoil your enjoyment,
there are quite a few male and female solos here and have had no problems. Make the most of your travels

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back