LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Grandaughters dog appears to be having pups due January, should be interesting Jack Russell /Yorkie X. Pomeranian. Expect they will be cute, Dad a great temperament mum really intelligent, :Eeek:

Reactions: DBK
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Patterdale? do they by any chance look similar to a Small poodle type dog? Sort of a grey very tight curl coat? I think they were breed to be a ratter in the Coal mines? if this is the same dog breed, they are very difficult to train, they have their own mind, and if they don't want to do it! neither hell or high water will make them do it
Perhaps crossbred with the Border Terrier, it would have given it some sense.
Anyway! sorry to hear about your disappointment, but, hey ho, it wasn't meant to be, and there will be another dog along soon to steal your heart, best of luck on that score(y)

You're thinking of a bedlington terrier.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Always remind me of sheep, but surely they have to be more intelligent than one?
(Actually come to think, doesn't Shaun look like a Bedlington?)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Part of the reason we chose the breed we chose was because, in general, the breed doesn't attract the farms and actually in fact most of the breeders aren't commercial breeders. The breed isn't KC recognised and the most common place to find them is in working dog kennels where two working dogs have been allowed to breed
I know - my parents have had two. Both from the source you mention.:)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Has the seller got in touch with local vets etc to inform them of the theft? Anyone with a young pup would more than likely be visiting soon to get the vaccinations done. Just a thought.

However what you were getting was NOT a breed ... it was a cross-breed ... whilst I appreciate nowadays these 'first cross' dogs are popular they are not a breed but what used to commonly called a mongrel ... I've had loads of mongrels, Heinz 57s, or whatever you wanted to call them but they are not 'breeds'. It annoys me that those who have 'bred' them call them a breed because they are not ... it seems to give them licence to print money as they charge nearly as much as a genuine breed.

Don't get me wrong, there's NOTHING wrong with cross-breed or full-breed ones, and Lily is the only full-breed dog I've ever had who we chose as she was the right size, sex etc to fit in with our family (not because of her breed), but I do feel that if cross-breeds didn't command such a high price then there wouldn't be so many of them produced, hence less 'discarded' dogs in rescue centres - I know you get full-breed dogs in them too but not nearly as many.

Snob :D

Actually spaniels are continually and deliberately bred and cross bred to make ideal working dogs. They are bred deliberately and sire and dam are matched therefore they are a breed.. The KC won't recognise them because the KC have spent so long creating outrageous inbred malformed creatures exposure of the benefits if breeding strong lines would ruin them.

The poodle crosses were initially an attempt to breed a hypoallergenic dog for working with people as assistant dogs or similar but again, the breeds have been successful because the careful breeding has created stronger breeds with better temperaments.

You are right, there's nothing wrong with mongrels. You are not right in universally saying the is nothing wrong with so called pure breeds.

And my Cody is a spaniel not a mongrel. Mongrels have indeterminate parentage. My Cody is also a 2nd generation cross BTW but still a spaniel and still a sprocker

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Snob :D

Actually spaniels are continually and deliberately bred and cross bred to make ideal working dogs. They are bred deliberately and sire and dam are matched therefore they are a breed.. The KC won't recognise them because the KC have spent so long creating outrageous inbred malformed creatures exposure of the benefits if breeding strong lines would ruin them.

The poodle crosses were initially an attempt to breed a hypoallergenic dog for working with people as assistant dogs or similar but again, the breeds have been successful because the careful breeding has created stronger breeds with better temperaments.

You are right, there's nothing wrong with mongrels. You are not right in universally saying the is nothing wrong with so called pure breeds.

And my Cody is a spaniel not a mongrel. Mongrels have indeterminate parentage. My Cody is also a 2nd generation cross BTW but still a spaniel and still a sprocker
Snob right back at ya! :LOL:

When I said there was nothing wrong with full breed dogs it was in relation to choosing to have one over a mongrel/cross breed, I certainly did not say they were 'universally' okay ... they are not without some major problems due to the way that some breeders produce them - some of the problems can also be found in mongrels/cross breeds too - for example my cross Jack Russell/Westie developed Cushings disease and we had to have him put down at 9 ... this disease is common in Westies apparently.

Regardless of what you say, a Sproker is NOT a breed, it is a cross between a Spaniel and a Cocker Spaniel ... no more so than my Chihuahua/Jack Russell (Jackhuahua? Chisel?) cross is a breed, or my Staffie/Greyhound (Staffhound? Greyfie???). It may be true that the cross breeding is intentional to get the benefit of certain characteristics from each breed but it still does NOT make it an actual breed - if you breed from 2 cross breeds you are not sure you'll get the same type of dog ... previously we had a first cross Jack Russell/Alsation ... she was lovely, short haired, stubby legs but with Alsation colouring, big ears and tail ... some siblings were like her, and others were smaller, with longer fluffy coats!

I agree that there are benefits to sometimes cross two pure bred types of dog to produce something which is more suitable, such as poodle/labrador crosses for allergy sufferers, again nothing wrong with this. What I DO object to is people being 'sold' them as if they are an actual recognised 'breed' and charging extortionate prices in the process ... I remember one lady saying she'd got a pure bred something or other (might have been a Cockerpoo?) and she was convinced that it wasn't a cross until someone told her what Cockerpoo meant ... she had no idea that it was a cross and had been charged a LOT of money for it .. it didn't detract that the dog was lovely but she'd been well and truly duped! THAT annoys me.

The KC won't recognise them AFAIK as they are NOT able to be consistently the same and if breed from, and their offspring then breed from, the chances are that they will not be the same as the original ones produced from the original first cross. A second generation cross is a 'new one' on me ... whilst it may produce a dog with the characteristics of the first cross dogs the changes get greater that it won't too ... nothing wrong with this so long as it isn't used to claim it is a breed as per my comments above.

I've always had cross breeds/mongrels except for Lily - we've mainly had rescue dogs so home what is available at the time and suits our home/family ... it can be ruddy hard work especially when they've been badly abused previously ... but it can be very rewarding too.

As for the definition of a mongrel, it can, and does, include a cross breed! You may not like it, but that's what it is!

noun
  1. a dog of no definable type or breed.
    "a mongrel bitch"
    synonyms: cross-bred, Broken Link Removed, half-breed, Broken Link Removed
    "a mongrel bitch"
    • any animal resulting from the crossing of different breeds or types.
      synonyms: Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, mixed breed, Broken Link Removed,Broken Link Removed
My little mongrel Tazzy (the 'Chisel') is currently snuggling next to me on the pillow woofing away at the chap who's just come to do the garden work ... what 'breed' she is makes not one jot of difference to me .. I'd love her just the same!:)
Tazzy on sofa.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back