Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
If we all started to use bio there would be a shortage of bio fuel, the prices would rocket so our food prices would also rocket. Also Smiler Brown would simply up the tax. All in all a lose - lose situation for everyone.

Bio is not, at present, a serious alternative fuel for the masses.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its an old thread all right, but am now just north of Bordeaux coming from Liverpool and the fuel cost so far is less than £50 on home brew bio. I should make it almost to Benidorm before I need dino diesel. Yes it works if its brewed right, but you will require more than a bottle of magic elixir to make the stuff. I have been running on the stuff for years. Although am completely carbon free they still wont give me free LEZ.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
One of our neighbours years ago used to service chip shop equipment and they used to give him the old oil. He ran his car for 25+ years on very crudely refined chip oil and never had any problems with it.
It did smell a lot though....
We have buses here that go up to the University and back in Canterbury using 100% bio diesel and they seem to do well.
Allan

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The problem with the later type common rail injection diesel engines is the fuel pumps and other gear run at extremely high pressure. So using Bio diesel will in time ruin the system. TDCI or HDI or any late engines really need the best premium fuels . cheap common supermarket fuels will put your DPFs at risk as they have a certain bio content in them but no additives to retain a clean burning engine. So to put anything other than premium fuels in the later engines is for me a complete no no.

The earlier TDI engines will run on chip oil with little or no problems.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The problem with the later type common rail injection diesel engines is the fuel pumps and other gear run at extremely high pressure. So using Bio diesel will in time ruin the system. TDCI or HDI or any late engines really need the best premium fuels . cheap common supermarket fuels will put your DPFs at risk as they have a certain bio content in them but no additives to retain a clean burning engine. So to put anything other than premium fuels in the later engines is for me a complete no no.

The earlier TDI engines will run on chip oil with little or no problems.

This is simply not true. Supermarket fuel pumps are subject to the same standards as any other fuel supplier in the UK and must meet minimum standards. Common rail injection systems do run at extremely high pressures but are also designed to run on a base level fuel supply in the country they're sold in.

Supermarket fuels are of no less quality than the base level agreed to by ALL motor manufacturers.

D.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
This is simply not true. Supermarket fuel pumps are subject to the same standards as any other fuel supplier in the UK and must meet minimum standards. Common rail injection systems do run at extremely high pressures but are also designed to run on a base level fuel supply in the country they're sold in.

Supermarket fuels are of no less quality than the base level agreed to by ALL motor manufacturers.

D.

What I meant was that late diesels fitted with DPFs need better than supermarket fuels. If you want to look after your MHs working parts quality premium fuels like She'll Vpower or BP Ultimate are best.

Of course the engines will run on cheap diesel but they don't have the necessary additives to keep things at their best.

When I mentioned pumps I said the pumps on the vehicles IE the fuel injection pumps not the fuel pumps at the garage ...............

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
What I meant was that late diesels fitted with DPFs need better than supermarket fuels. If you want to look after your MHs working parts quality premium fuels like She'll Vpower or BP Ultimate are best.

Of course the engines will run on cheap diesel but they don't have the necessary additives to keep things at their best.

When I mentioned pumps I said the pumps on the vehicles IE the fuel injection pumps not the fuel pumps at the garage ...............

Still not true though! Supermarket fuels have to meet the same standards as the main fuel suppliers, this includes the qualities to maintain DPFs. Incidentally, the biggest cause of DPF faults in motorhomes is not being driven hard enough. To function properly the DPF needs to get very hot which means prolonged periods at higher revs and loads, just like white van man drives. The majority of motorhome owners having spent a lifetime's savings on their dream will treat it with kid gloves and not drive it hard enough to keep the DPF in good condition. I see the same failures in brakes on a weekly basis. I cannot remember the last set of brake pads I had to replace duew to wear, it is always due to old age/gentle use that they crumble and separate from the backplates.

D.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I ran the HDI on. Relay van .....done 64000 in its first year from new and had no problems using supermarket fuels.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I take your points Dave. But surely you are not suggesting base fuel is not as good as premium ? I realise all ...... Well let's call it normal fuel has to reach a standard but since it has. 5 percent bio content ... Or is it more ?? It can't be as good as fuel with additives ...

I use only Premium fuels in our vehicles. I use only low ash oil as well so at least feel I'm doing all I can. I am also quite aware these vehicles like any diesel engined vehicle need the occasional Italian tune up ...

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Still not true though! Supermarket fuels have to meet the same standards as the main fuel suppliers, this includes the qualities to maintain DPFs. Incidentally, the biggest cause of DPF faults in motorhomes is not being driven hard enough. To function properly the DPF needs to get very hot which means prolonged periods at higher revs and loads, just like white van man drives. The majority of motorhome owners having spent a lifetime's savings on their dream will treat it with kid gloves and not drive it hard enough to keep the DPF in good condition. I see the same failures in brakes on a weekly basis. I cannot remember the last set of brake pads I had to replace duew to wear, it is always due to old age/gentle use that they crumble and separate from the backplates.

D.
Some modern engines ( sprinter ) have a self regulating cycle that conditions the DPF.
This is stated on the sun visor and warns not to switch the engine off if it kicks in.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
All late diesels have regeneration cycles. This is when the DPFs heat up and burn off the muck its caught.. Some cars show this by way of a warning light telling you a re gen is taking place. Some don't show though. Problem is some don't read the books and some even see a light on the dash and stop the engine.
DPFs are a pain in the backside !!

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
I take your points Dave. But surely you are not suggesting base fuel is not as good as premium ? I realise all ...... Well let's call it normal fuel has to reach a standard but since it has. 5 percent bio content ... Or is it more ?? It can't be as good as fuel with additives ...

I use only Premium fuels in our vehicles. I use only low ash oil as well so at least feel I'm doing all I can. I am also quite aware these vehicles like any diesel engined vehicle need the occasional Italian tune up ...

For your information, ALL diesel sold in the EU now has a minimum of 5% biodiesel added at source regardless of whether it is supermarket fuel or premium fuel sold by the majors.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Hi bio fuels caused more trouble for me at work, if your vehicle has a system which warms the fuel to aid combustion or has a EGR system a bacteria can grow in the fuel which forms a black dust like mess that clogs injectors and filters on our wagons this could cost thousands to repair .This only seems to happen in vehicles that circulate most of the fuel back to the tank and which have electronic injectors .
older vehicles are not prone to this.
Still if you have invested in a newish motor home the fuel costs should not be a problem lol.
PS fuel now contains bio fuels in it I think about 7%

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
For your information, ALL diesel sold in the EU now has a minimum of 5% biodiesel added at source regardless of whether it is supermarket fuel or premium fuel sold by the majors.

You are absolutely correct .. So buying Quality fuel with additives to help make up for the poor quality fuel is all the more important.

lesr48

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
Since 2014
You are absolutely correct .. So buying Quality fuel with additives to help make up for the poor quality fuel is all the more important.
Are you saying the quality of fuel prior to additives is better than the quality of the fuel without? If so..........you are wrong. Diesel and Biodiesel have to meet stringent EU specification regardless of whether they have additives added later or not.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Diesel and Biodiesel have to meet stringent EU specification regardless of whether they have additives added later or not.
Agreed, alas some fuels mostly sold by chains only meet the minimum standard, in the end you get what you pay for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back