Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
retford nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato MWB selfbuild
Exp
1 year
hello again i hope someone can help, vans a 09 MWB fiat ducato selfbuild, got back from scotland 10 days ago, it was faultless, not used it untill tonight turned it on and relised revs were up more than normal got to the top of the street and battery light came on.
Drove straight back home , turned van off and back on again battery light stayed off but revs were still high, any idea's please ?
regards landyman

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Not 100% sure on this but could it be an alternator problem? I believe the throttle works via a rheostat or whatever it's name. Basically it's not a cable operated accelerator it works via 12vdc and resistance as the peddle is operated. If your alternator has failed on the bridge rectifier, it could be outputting AC volts or higher volts than the usual 14.2 vex. This could effect the revs and would also explain the battery light. Start the engine and use a test meter across the battery +Ve and -Ve first set meter to 20vdc range, it should read around 14.2 or 14.4 vdc. Then try 20vac range, that will give an indication what the charging voltage output from the alternator is and confirm if the rectifier has gone caput. The initial output of an alternator is AC volts, the bridge rectifier converts it to DC volts needed to charge your battery and supply your vehicle 12v electrics.
The bridge rectifier can be replaced without the need to fork out for a new expensive alternator. I hope this sorts you out ok,
Ps also check your alternator belt hasn't snapped, just another thought:)
Lance.

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Most likely an alternator fault. The engine speed is controlled by the ECU as is the alternator charging. If the alt is giving a lower output than required the ECU raises the rpm to try and get it charging, if the charging remains low then the battery light comes on. Don't just change the alt though, get it checked threough the diagnostics as it could be summat else.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I have to say, well done to the members for providing an answer to the op's post. I makes me wonder.......is there any question that cannot be answered on this forum.(y)

Try this one, what is Managements inside leg measurement ? Anyone wanting to come and measure it, is likely to get a slap. :ROFLMAO:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We had the same issue on our 2007 - same symptoms - the Alternator was replaced and has been fine since.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have to say, well done to the members for providing an answer to the op's post. I makes me wonder.......is there any question that cannot be answered on this forum.(y)
And within exactly six hours at an unsociable time of day!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Nay! SMALL Tweeting

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun