Help! I've bought a campervan, but... (1 Viewer)

SouthCoastSteve

Free Member
Oct 12, 2015
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Grand Duke Pegasus 622
Exp
New
...I have no idea what I'm doing!

Through a bit of a fluke I find that I'm now a surprised, but proud owner of a campervan. It's quite big, being a 7-berther, but not so big that I'm worried about driving it.

It's a Ford Transit-based Grand Duke Pegasus 622 – a type that seems elusive to find out anything about. Perhaps it should have been called a Unicorn?... It is an Italian import from 2002, although it was built in 1993. Very low mileage at only 60k miles and generally good condition for its age.

However, and this is where I need as much help as possible, I have no idea how to operate the various bits and pieces. It has an LPG tank for the heating, cooking and refrigeration gas supplies, and a leisure battery (which I can't find) for the electrical side of things. It has clean and grey water tanks (somewhere...) and a cassette toilet.

I'll try to post some pictures of the controls and appliances so you can get an idea of what I'm struggling with. It would be great to get to know everything so I can take her out for school half term in a couple weeks. Any help would be very gratefully received.

Steve

Here she is
van.JPG

The control panel (in Italian...)
control panel.JPG

Some stopcocks in a cupboard
stopcocks.JPG

Central heating and hot water I presume?
central heating.JPG

The fridge
fridge.JPG

And finally, the heater
heater.JPG

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Where on the south coast are you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't help with anything specific but most of what you've got there is common to hundreds of different vans

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That is because it is a Granduca Pegaso 622. :D Here

https://www.google.es/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=granduca pegaso 622

Gas tap with water tap on is for the hot water. To operate turn on gas valve & put on/offswitch/thermostat to either 50º or 70 º-
The fire , turn on gas valve in cupboard. turn top right knob around towards 10( maximum) & hold down whilst pressing piezo igniter on the left. They usually light instantly.

Can't make out pictures on other gas valves but one would be for fridge , one for gas fire ,one for the cooker hob/oven if installed & the one with tap for the hot water.
To find out which is cooker turn on one of cooker knobs whilst opening the valves in cupboard one by one. With a full gas bottle of course .:LOL:
Do same for gas fire . Water we've worked out so last will be fridge.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
P.S. The gas valves are all in the off position as shown in your photo. On is when in line with pipe they are feeding.
I think third from left is fridge as the picture looks like a snowflake. Can't make out others.

Upvote 0

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Thanks f6c, glad to be here!

Big Map, I'm in Hove.

Surely it's Hove-Actually

I used to live on Kingsway, and always had to tell people I lived in Brighton, well Hove Actually...

Good luck with the MoHo, I have pretty much the same fittings in my old Hymer, if I can get them to work I'll share the secrets...

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Welcome to Fun, just be aware that you only have 5 free posts, after that you will not be able to post until you become a full member £15 a year, well worth it for advice discounts and rallies. :welc:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SouthCoastSteve

SouthCoastSteve

Free Member
Oct 12, 2015
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Grand Duke Pegasus 622
Exp
New
We are in Normans Bay, Eastbourne and would be happy to help if I can.
2 heads are always better than one in these circumstances (y)

Welcome by the way (y)(y)(y)
Thank you John, that's a really nice offer that I may take you up on. Happy to make tea all day while you show me around the van!

That is because it is a Granduca Pegaso 622. :D Here

https://www.google.es/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=granduca pegaso 622

Gas tap with water tap on is for the hot water. To operate turn on gas valve & put on/offswitch/thermostat to either 50º or 70 º-
The fire , turn on gas valve in cupboard. turn top right knob around towards 10( maximum) & hold down whilst pressing piezo igniter on the left. They usually light instantly.

Can't make out pictures on other gas valves but one would be for fridge , one for gas fire ,one for the cooker hob/oven if installed & the one with tap for the hot water.
To find out which is cooker turn on one of cooker knobs whilst opening the valves in cupboard one by one. With a full gas bottle of course .:LOL:
Do same for gas fire . Water we've worked out so last will be fridge.
Yes, sorry about that, it was my translation from Italian to English, but I still can't actually find any information – only a few pictures and a few vans for sale.

Aha, so all those stopcocks are for the gas supply to various appliances? That's a huge move forward, thanks! Does the water heater have a separate boiler to the fire and the central heating? It seems like a lot of boilers to me. Could there be a back boiler type of arrangement to the fire, like in my old house?

Surely it's Hove-Actually

I used to live on Kingsway, and always had to tell people I lived in Brighton, well Hove Actually...

Good luck with the MoHo, I have pretty much the same fittings in my old Hymer, if I can get them to work I'll share the secrets...
I would really appreciate that, thanks!

In summary then, we've cleared up the stopcocks picture (BIG help!), the thermostats and the fire. I'd really like some help with that control panel – it looks complicated. Also, how to turn on and operate the fridge – it's supposed to work on 12V, 240V and gas, but how do you switch it on and select between them, and how do you choose which is the best option to use?

Also, the chap told me there's no water in it – so how do I fill it up and how do I know how much is in the tank? There are two tanks, one for fresh water and one for grey (I'm guessing the grey water is the water that goes down the sink and shower?). And how do I empty them when I'm packing up for the winter or on my way home? The toilet seems simple enough, but I may replace the whole bathroom – are there any companies that do this?

Once again, thank you all very much.
Steve

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
When we got our first MH we bought a Haynes manual. It is called

"Motorcaravan Manual: Choosing, Using and Maintaining Your Motorcaravan"

It is very useful when you are just starting out as it has guides on use and maintenance including winter preparation etc.

Jen

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Central heating and hot water I presume?
Yes, in the picture you have them both switched off. The top one is hot water, I'd use 50 degrees, unless you want to boil your skin off in the shower!
The bottom one is the blown air system. flick the switch to the top, and the dial controls the speed. If you flick it down to the 'A' setting, then the dial is thermostatic. When a temperature is reached, the fans will slow down and eventually stop. You do of course have to light the heater first, there will be a dial on the right hand side. Turn it to full, then push the knob down, you will hear it ticking, and eventually it will light. Assuming you have some gas! :D

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Oh, and on your control panel, the switches look like they control, left to right:
Cabin lights, Blown air fan, Water pump and master power (12v)
You also have battery level meter, water level (far right) not sure about the water switch one, maybe that is a frost protect?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Oh, and on your control panel, the switches look like they control, left to right:
Cabin lights, Blown air fan, Water pump and master power (12v)
You also have battery level meter, water level (far right) not sure about the water switch one, maybe that is a frost protect?

No that right hand switch , if it is the same as mine, is a spring loaded switch & when pressed at the bottom ( 12volt supply switch on left must be on ) will light up the battery panel to the left & show what state of charge the leisure batteries are. 1/3; 2/3, or full 3/3.
Also it will light the right hand panel at same time showing how much water is in the tank. Might be wrong with this one as it could be how full the grey waste tank is as the panel is slightly different from mine.
The centre one at top is either fresh water or grey waste depending on what the right hand panel is for. The 220v light should come on when plugged in to the mains.There should be a double pole trip somewhere with a test button as well.

P.S. the toilet waste is probably a marine tank i.e built in.Rather than a "cassette" type. . So if you look under neath directly below where the toilet is you'll probably find a twist cap that needs removing & a "slide valve " to the side of it to empty.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
No that right hand switch , if it is the same as mine, is a spring loaded switch & when pressed at the bottom ( 12volt supply switch on left must be on ) will light up the battery panel to the left & show what state of charge the leisure batteries are. 1/3; 2/3, or full 3/3.
Makes sense! :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SouthCoastSteve

SouthCoastSteve

Free Member
Oct 12, 2015
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Grand Duke Pegasus 622
Exp
New
Thanks again so much for the input, I really do appreciate it.

Regarding the control panel, I've been doing a bit of research and have come to the conclusion that, reading from left to right, the buttons are:
Cooker extraction hood lighting, cooker extraction hood fan, water pump (although should this be left on all the time and will come on when needed, or is it to pump water from one location to another, or something else?), 12v system master on. The fusebox is for the water pump and various internal lights, plus there is a light to tell when the mains supply is charging the battery. Leisure battery level indicator, waste water full warning light, mains connected light, levels test button, clean water level indicator.

I now have to find where to fill up the clean water and where the drains are for the tanks. After that I'm good to go. After half term I have to live in the van for 4-6 weeks while my house is renovated so I'll make sure everything is topped up, especially the gas as it will be quite nippy by then! Oh, the toilet is definitely a cassette system – the same sort as my camping toilet. There's a small hatch on the back where you service it.

It's currently in secure storage, but I'm going over with my new information (thanks very much!) to check everything works as it should. On the drive back from Liverpool at the weekend I noticed a couple interior lights were out so I can remove those and find replacements.

Steve

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
now have to find where to fill up the clean water and where the drains are for the tanks.
The Fresh fill point usually looks similar to a petrol filling cap, on the opposite side to the habitation door (usually). Waste (or grey) will be a tap, locate somewhere to the rear, under the skirt. The idea being that you open the tap and drive down the motorway (sorry in joke on the forum).
After half term I have to live in the van for 4-6 weeks while my house is renovated
If you are on your house curtilage, can you not hook up? The heating will chew through gas when it gets cold, and it is a royal pain to keep filling up. The electric is not as efficient as gas, but you son't have to go and fill up with electricity! :D

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
@SouthCoastSteve .. Re your fresh water. I would suggest boiling it or not using it for drinking, certainly until you're completely familiar with the van.. if ever.

Upvote 0

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I wont win all the friends but use bottled water in the camping car. OK for washing up, cleaning your teeth and showering but drinking. NO. :unsure:

Upvote 0

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
Drinking the onboard water is a personal choice; some do, some don't. If you're worried but can't be bothered with endless bottles (or your environmental conscience won't let you...), then you can buy tank purification tablets from any yachting marina - some for sterilising an old tank/system, some for adding to the water.

Personally one of the things I LOVE about the MoHo life is tea or coffee made with Evian... just great!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back