External Screen Covers (1 Viewer)

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Their are so many out there for sale which are the best, for a Ducat0 2007,I have silver screens at the moment and they do not fit very well, some have 5 or 6 layers some have 3, is more better, or does it depend on the material, some are more rigid and some are very soft. Any idea's would be helpfull

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Paragon silver screens for us. We used them all the time with our previous MHF. Sold them with the van.
We've bought a brand new pair for Pug too. But then decided to put remi blinds on too. So we need to take a trip to cleckheaton for them to modify them , so they fit.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Are you talking about External screens? We got Taylormade but they are identical to SilverScreens and fit our Fiat X250 fine. We got the long ones with the extension flap over the bonnet vents which seem to work well, even in a howling gale in the Hebrides.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Always used external but not sure which make i had but always seemed to work well with no condensation, I used then this weekend as my new silver screens hadn't arrived by the time we left. As soon as i got back i thought id toy with the new ones and am very pleased with the fit, in fact i don't think they could be better although there is adjustment if needed. They are for new 2015 pattern, great product and great company to deal with i thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We got Taylormade but they are identical to SilverScreens and fit our Fiat X250 fine. We got the long ones with the extension flap over the bonnet vents which seem to work well,

Likewise. Bought off another Funster who'd changed his van.
Broken Link Removed

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I must say we've just got back from our first proper trip in Pug our PVC. A tour around the Hebredian Islands, Fantastic time btw .
We've always used our silver screen, in the past at night time, on our old MH. In both summer and winter months.
We decided to fit the remis blinds to our new PVC as well.
The remis are great for privacy. But you get condensation on the Windows.
Lots, if you don't have the heating on, which we didn't, as we didn't need it. We noticed there wasn't as much condensation if the heating was on low.
I'm sure they'll come in handy , and we'll get plenty use out of the Remis. But if I was to choose one or the other, and not have both. I'd choose the paragon silver screens. They keep the heat out in the summer and the heat in, in the winter! AND you don't get running wet Windows.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
I am a fairly new recruit to motor homing and this is one of the areas I did quite a lot of research in before eventually buying . It would appear from my research that either Silverscreens or Taylormade are good products and I could find little or no negative publicity about either of the products.
They are not the cheapest on the market nor are the most expensive but they do seem to be good value for money, I personally went for the Talormade purely because of the extra length over the bonnet. The fit is extremely good and they make an enormous difference to the interior comfort.
Edit
Just read Ralph & Bevs post, I tried the motor home out with no screens for 5 months and encountered most extremes of weather with just the Remis Binds. Whilst they were good for privacy and keeping the sun out they have no insulation value whatsoever but are great used in conjunction with the Taylormade screen

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
wellllllll I have been fortunate to try several makes over the years and can honestly say that the genuine silverscreens are by far the best quality. also better to deal with if you "ever" have a problem. the owner of taylormade is a right stroppy character and nicked the idea from the others. sewing on taylormade and the fit on some models is nowhere near as good. I bought a brand new set that when unpacked were really roughly made so took them back after a bit of a battle. replaced with silverscreens and they were the quality I had come to expect.

why did i try taylormade? price, but that was before I had seen why they were cheaper. would rather pay extra and get a quality product not a cheap rip off copy
one set of silverscreens I had (may still have them) had 10 years hard use and were still good as new when we changed to a different base van.

and no before anyone asks, I dont work for silverscreens, I am just a very satisfied long term customer who wont hesitate next time i need a new set

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
wellllllll I have been fortunate to try several makes over the years and can honestly say that the genuine silverscreens are by far the best quality. also better to deal with if you "ever" have a problem. the owner of taylormade is a right stroppy character and nicked the idea from the others. sewing on taylormade and the fit on some models is nowhere near as good. I bought a brand new set that when unpacked were really roughly made so took them back after a bit of a battle. replaced with silverscreens and they were the quality I had come to expect.

why did i try taylormade? price, but that was before I had seen why they were cheaper. would rather pay extra and get a quality product not a cheap rip off copy
one set of silverscreens I had (may still have them) had 10 years hard use and were still good as new when we changed to a different base van.

and no before anyone asks, I dont work for silverscreens, I am just a very satisfied long term customer who wont hesitate next time i need a new set

Is this the right room for an argument!!:ROFLMAO:

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We have a 2013 elddiss that just has curtains to pull round the front of the cab. So far so good but only had the MH since July and as yet hasn't been cold. What do you recommend then. Should we get silverscreens or will the curtains keep bit warmth in? I have seen screens on the inside are they any good? What about condensation?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
curtains are better than nothing. internal screens are next but you still get condensation and lose heat in the colder months. external screens are brilliant at keeping warmth in in winter and heat out in summer plus no condensation. as said genuine silverscreens are the best of the bunch. you can often pick sets up second hand for about £50 on ebay etc and they wear so well that nobody would be able to tell they weren't new

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Paragon www.silverscreens .co.uk. We have had them for years and they are excellent.
They tell you what you need when you contact them.
Very often second hand on here in classifieds.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks for reply. When looking for silverscreens do I say what MH we have for size.
yes they are shaped for the specific cab shape. different models for coachbuilt and A class

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We got new silver screens for our latest van, having been very pleased with them when full timed. This time we bought the privacy screen as well, and it's really good. No loss of light in the van, but you really can't see in unless you have the light on! It's meant we can have the cab window facing any direction, and are still able to get changed etc if we want to!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have always used Paragon but did find on occasions we had condensation on the windows, after buying our new Apache which has a solid wall behind the passenger and drivers seat, we fitted a plastic channel to the each wall and using 3 pieces of 10mm plywood which slide down into the channel forming a solid wall closing the cab off when the over cab bed is pulled over.
Result toasty warm van now the cab is closed off and cab windows never suffer from condensation no matter how cold it is.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had a Ducato 2010 coachbuilt previously and bought Milenco Universal fit External screen cover (very cheap), they fitted ok, not perfect but worked 100% stopped the condensation, there was sometimes a bit of misting on one side window as I could'nt be bothered to fit it perfectly, but it saw us through some cold nights without any condensation in the morning and wears well.

Now we have changed van, it is completely useless to us, so we had them for sale at Wrenbury but then so did every second van it seemed, and some were selling unwanted Paragon (aka Taylormade) and Silverscreens so ours had no chance. Decided to keep them and I tried them out in Scotland on the new van (an A Class) and they did work but looked appalling and they were difficult to keep on and did not cover the side windows.

However, we had a real shock when tried to get external screen for the new van, very difficult to find. Frankia wanted 649.00 pounds, Taylormade and Silverscreens very pleasant and helpful to talk to but completely useless (as not one they have or want to make!!), Covertech (Italy) do not make Frankia covers, Polar (via Vancomfort) 375 made to measure but must visit Sheffield on a Tues, Wed or Thu. After some research found that Frankia use Hindermann a German product, found the product code for Frankia and tried ordering direct but informed it had to be bought from Frankia as licenced only to them. So contacted VanComfort (Steve Beevers) who sell the Hinderman product in the UK but do not list the Frankia and tend to push Polar, after a bit of tooing and froing (convinced them I did not want Polar and it would fit my van) managed to place an order and now have a beautiful perfect fitting external screen cover.

We are still playing with the various heating, internal screens and vent controls we have to see if we can dispense with the external screen as it is bulky, but so far we can reduce condensation but not eliminate it. But having actually paid for it (325 delivered) and worked out a way of securing an A Class cover in place when you have an external door seal and do not want to pay the manufacturer to fit is interesting but so far very happy with the way we did it and the final result is very neat and most importantly works.

Oh yes for the OP the Hindermann product is quite thin 20mm, flexible grey plastic looking textile, waterproof and designed for hot and cold use, rolls/folds up but not as small as I would like, for some ideas and alot of information have a look at the Hindermann product guide, it really puts the UK manufacturers to shame unfortuneately.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Mr Taylor stroppy....nah, just a good straight forward yorkshireman that calls a spade a spade. Though he lives in our village, we see him mostly at motorhome shows, where anyone can discuss things directly.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mr Taylor stroppy....nah, just a good straight forward yorkshireman that calls a spade a spade. Though he lives in our village, we see him mostly at motorhome shows, where anyone can discuss things directly.
straight forward Yorkshireman? nope he was angry that somebody had the nerve to point out the poor quality of the product he made and sold. if that's the way its done in yorkshire, well I am pleased not to do business with them again. having said that, I know numerous folk born and bred in yorkshire who dont act the same way so doubt its a regional thing

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We had Taylormade screen covers and the end split that you place over the mirrors. She was quite nasty to me and said that I had pulled it too hard and that it was my fault it split. It took a frank email to her to agree to have it back to re sew it.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Oh yes for the OP the Hindermann product is quite thin 20mm, flexible grey plastic looking textile, waterproof and designed for hot and cold use, rolls/folds up but not as small as I would like, for some ideas and alot of information have a look at the Hindermann product guide, it really puts the UK manufacturers to shame unfortuneately.
Have looked at the Hindermann guide & so much choice - just shame not all available in the UK. Which type do you have please?

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We have a 2013 elddiss that just has curtains to pull round the front of the cab. So far so good but only had the MH since July and as yet hasn't been cold. What do you recommend then. Should we get silverscreens or will the curtains keep bit warmth in? I have seen screens on the inside are they any good? What about condensation?
Taylor made external screens are very good can't vouch for any other but all very similar I suspect it gets very cold don't spoil your breaks
Its a long night if its cold.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We have taylormade screens new
tried for months for used couldn't
find any using van this winter so needed to get sorted out lady very
helpful and pleasant to me.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We've had both Silverscreens and Tailormade and very happy with both. We used to live within a few miles of the chap who runs the Silverscreens business from his house and when I knocked on the door he welcomed me in, showed me the whole product range then pointed me in the direction of his special deals, so I bought a set on the spot for what was then our x250 Chausson, but when we swapped to the Hymer A class I bought a perfect but second hand set of Tailormade screens from a chap who'd sold his van and have used them without any problem for nearly four years now.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Have looked at the Hindermann guide & so much choice - just shame not all available in the UK. Which type do you have please?
We went for the LUX2, as you say alot is not available from the UK direct from Hindermann but much to my surprise VanComfort were able to order it for me, I could not order it direct, but Hindermann were very helpful.

The product range is good the prices are not the cheapoest and if Silverscreen or Paragon have something then definitely check them out but the Hindermann product is good quality. If you wan ideas on fixing them let me know I am trying out a non invasive (does not void any warranties) method works so far but time will tell, need to try it out in a high wind (might try Scotland aka @DavidG58 ).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back