Differences in chinese sat navs (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
20151009_172226.jpg
While we were on holiday our 2 MHs each had a Chinese sat nav. One MH had a Novatec and the other a Mediatek both I thought I had updated the maps on before we left but on holiday each sat nav wanted to take us different routes despite the profile vehicle lengths etc all being set to the exact same. Now that I'm home I have copied the same set of UK and France maps to both sat navs, and included same set of speeds, dimensions, break times etc so why is there such a big time difference?. I have posted an example.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I was thinking that too Graham but 2 hrs over a distance is quite significant. At first I thought one was registering break times and the other wasn't but when I analyse the roads the differences just grow in minutes from road to road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Sandra don't know why the times vary so much but if I'm getting it right then the milage for the various routes are very similar and both routes look very similar on the screen shot. .
To me the times are a bit academic ..
My gamin and Chinese unit frequently choose different routes both have same vehicle dimensions and usually have to say I think the Chinese unit chooses best...

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi Sandra don't know why the times vary so much but if I'm getting it right then the milage for the various routes are very similar and both routes look very similar on the screen shot. .
To me the times are a bit academic ..
My gamin and Chinese unit frequently choose different routes both have same vehicle dimensions and usually have to say I think the Chinese unit chooses best...
We had a NIGHTMARE with these sat navs to put it mildly in France so much so Alan gave up and used his tomtom which I have to add still didn't have us going the same way and led to even greater problems...Truck route v car route.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
We had a NIGHTMARE with these sat navs to put it mildly in France so much so Alan gave up and used his tomtom which I have to add still didn't have us going the same way and led to even greater problems...Truck route v car route.
Well I've fallen into the trap of just going with the sat nav after sometimes checking it's chosen route with a map...
If I don't agree I just enter another location that takes me on the route I would prefer. .
Felt like I couldn't have done without it in Spain and Portugal. ..
In your situation with Alan leading you must surely just have to follow regardless of what your nav tells you... yours should then re route...
Hey your home so can't be that bad lol...
Ta Andy

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If they are from different manufactures then it would be extremely surprising if they chose the same route!

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one has the speed limits set for hgv's the other not?

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Hi @irnbru

To prove whether the difference is hardware related, I would copy the complete primo folder form one unit to an sd card, then use this in the other unit. Don't forget to change the navi path of the unit to work off the sd card. You will then know that everything is the same on both units.
If the 2 units then give different results then it must be something to do with the hardware. If they give the same then there is something diffent in the software and/or maps and settings.

I have had one of these units now for a couple years and have been on 2 trips a year to france and it has performed flawlessly. This year we have spent 9 weeks and covered 4500 miles without problem.

When you say you had a nightmare what specifically has been the problem?

lunarman

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@lunarman The units kept freezing and wouldnt turn off at times to even reboot it and sometimes came up with low memory. Alan couldn't see his either due to sunglare so ended up using his car tomtom which took us on a road that wasn't suitable for MHs that came to a dead end with car park and height barrier. We caused traffic mayhem for half an hour. Can laugh at it now though.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If they are from different manufactures then it would be extremely surprising if they chose the same route!
Why? Basic principle - same software, same data, same result.

The hardware shouldn't make a difference of the type under discussion. There has to be some difference in the software or the data to produce different results.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Why? Basic principle - same software, same data, same result.

The hardware shouldn't make a difference of the type under discussion. There has to be some difference in the software or the data to produce different results.
Graham surely the results arnt that different in Sandras original screen shot of the sat navs chosen route.. The milage are the same near enough it's only the estimated times for the journey that are significantly different..
Andy.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
The algorithms that are doing the calculation are very complex. It may well be that the order that the various calculations are carried out in is varied as you change the settings.

I use copilot on my phone. One of the options is whether or not to use active routes. If you calculate a route with active routes turned off, then turn active routes on and allow it to recalculate, and then turn active routes back off again and recalculate, the time of arrival will be different for the 2 active routes off scenarios.

When you think how many variables the system is having to consider, and the number of various settings we can play around with, it's no great surprise that variations can creep in.

I use both tom-tom and copilot and prefer the copilot.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Sandra,

Glad to see that you are back home safely. I hope you and Mum had a great time on your first European trip.(y)

The only thing that I can think of, is if one of the Sat Navs has the "historical traffic" option chosen,as that would give different timings dependant on the time of day travelling, ie, if I route plan at 20.00hrs the night before the journey, and then turn the unit back on at 08.30 the next day, the journey times can be different, taking into account peak commuter traffic times.
I unchecked the historic traffic option on ours.

I too have been using this unit for around two years now, and where I have suspected it of getting it wrong, and making my own decision, on each occasion, the unit has been right, proving me wrong.
I certainly couldn't say the same for the TT720 European Truck Maps.
On one occasion in particular, when I took a known detour to avoid traffic queues, it tried to direct me through a farmer's gateway with a 44 tonne truck, to access the A1 again near Pontefract. :(

Good luck with resolving the issue. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if the distances are pretty much identical, the difference in projected times can only be down to vehicle speed. that is why I asked about the profile and whether one was set to hgv, the other car. as already mentioned, the historical data the satnav can optionally use also affects the times

the hardware is near identical as is the operating system so the difference can only be data related

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham surely the results arnt that different in Sandras original screen shot of the sat navs chosen route.. The milage are the same near enough it's only the estimated times for the journey that are significantly different..
Andy.
As Jock & The Big1 have said, if the software is the same there must be differences in the data in some way(s). As I've posted on previous threads, the iGo software does sometimes over-ride input parameters with system standards. For instance, avoiding a road with a 7.5 tonne limit even though the vehicle weight input is 3.5 tonnes - i.e. it assumes that any vehicle with a Lorry profile will be over the limit.
If Nozatec and Mediatek have set up their software images in slightly different ways then that would account for it.

This thread reminds me that I must contact Garmin. With my first Garmin (car) sat nav (Nuvi 1300) a few years ago I noticed that it underestimated journey times and have experienced the same with the Garmin Camper 760 and Nuvi 2569 which I have now. We used both the 760 and the Nozatec on our recent trip to and from Lincoln Showground. The Garmin underestimated the journey time and the Nozatec slightly overestimated it (though it was closer). As we neared the end of the journey both adjusted their arrival times.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
[QUOTE="irnbru, post: 1580663, member: 26684"so why is there such a big time difference?. [/QUOTE]
Different time zones in China?

I'll get my coat
:getmecoat:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Don't know why you're all rabbiting on about hardware \ software being the problem!
You need to think about the obvious, and almost certain, rationale behind this.

Two motorhomes with two comparable sat navs so must be down to operator differences. Alan = male and Sandra = female! Nuff said.:whistle2::clap2::imoutahere:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The algorithms that are doing the calculation are very complex. It may well be that the order that the various calculations are carried out in is varied as you change the settings.

I use copilot on my phone. One of the options is whether or not to use active routes. If you calculate a route with active routes turned off, then turn active routes on and allow it to recalculate, and then turn active routes back off again and recalculate, the time of arrival will be different for the 2 active routes off scenarios.

When you think how many variables the system is having to consider, and the number of various settings we can play around with, it's no great surprise that variations can creep in.

I use both tom-tom and copilot and prefer the copilot.
The software I work with does route scheduling. We can be working with many thousands of trips at a time. Running the same trips through the algorythm repeatedly can give different results but only if something has changed causing database sorting to produce differing results.

The same trip run through the same algorythm must always produce the Dr result.

Something is different between the two units and I would lay my money on a seemingly innocuous configuration setting.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It's you Sandra -since you knackered mine I have a bloke telling me where to go it's just not the same as telling the silly cow to shut it ;)
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back