Motor Mover fitting to a trailer (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Well it's been a job I've had on my list to do for a while and finally got around to doing it. I tour quite extensively and 99% of the time take either my Smart ForTwo or Toyota IQ on the Woodford smart trailer. Although I've got the process down to a fine art now when arriving on a site it still takes around 10 mins from start to finish which involves pulling up to pitch, unstrapping car, pull out ramps, reverse car off, unhitch trailer from MH, push trailer onto pitch (in Croatia this was slightly up hill), drive car in front of trailer and finally put MH on pitch!! Some sites I've been lucky to keep it all hitched up but most you need to unhitch. It's more the feeling your holding people up if you block the way while your unloading etc.

I bought a second hand Truma Motor Mover model TE from eBay. I chose this one because the motors etc are self contained and also have auto engage and more powerful motors which are suppose to be able to move up to 2.5 ton up a 25% incline which should be more than adequate! As with most movers with them been low down and next to the wheels, they get filthy so I stripped mine down and cleaned and re-sprayed them etc.

With a trailer chassis the main frame is higher than with a caravan so I had to fabricate 2 brackets 195mm down from the trailer bed with a 30mm lip. I used 3mm galvanised steel, Truma recommend between 2.8mm and 3.5mm to ensure the fixing brackets clamp ok. Truma also recommend that the base of the motor mover is AT LEAST 110mm from the road surface, mine are 210mm. I used 2 existing bolts and 2 new 8mm bolts to fasten the brackets onto the trailer. Because where the motor mover wheel needs to be positioned on the tire when engaged I've also had to move the position of the wheel arch bracket which involved fabricating different brackets but I utilised the existing brackets metal.

I've just got to mount the battery box and electronics which I'll post some pictures when I've done that. Here are a few pictures so far: image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As you probably know, its critical to get the 20mm air gap between tyre and drive wheel correct or the wheel will slip on steep grades and rip chunks out of the tyres.
How do i know..... :doh::blush:

Unless you are on hard ground only you may need a pneumatic jockey wheel as the hard tyres tend to dig into grass when turning.....it may just be a weight thing as i have 100kg nose weight.

Only pain in the neck i found with the TE is because its a twin axle mover it isnt like a single axle.....the mover turns in steps to save scrubbing the dragged tyres.
It moves forwards a few inches then one roller stops and the other continues to turn, thus turning the trailer slightly, then it moves forwards and does the same again which makes the turning circle quite large unless you use both forwards and reverse in the same turn.
The single axle version can turn on its own axis with one wheel rotating forwards and the other rotating backwards for up to 7 minutes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Yes the 20mm is critical as I've seen tyres been ripped by the mover wheels!!

Good point about pneumatic jockey wheel, I haven't tried it yet on soft ground and my nose weight is slightly less than yours so maybe ok but I think I'll use a pneumatic jockey wheel on to be certain.

David.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Papa john beat me to it. TE is twin axle, so it will waddle like a duck walking. If you can handle that then fine.
If not you will need a fresh control box. The mover is the same as an SE, just the control box is different. Easy to fit .

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I'm taking the c1 on a Brian James trailer to Spain in a couple of weeks and thought about a mover, however as I will only have to unload it once and then 5 months later put it back on I decided not to. What I have done though is fit a double pneumatic tyre set up to help move the empty trailer on both the gravel I have at home and the site. I bought it from Towsure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just bought this

Broken Link Removed

....... to do exactly the same. Mine's a single axle & I already have the control box & handset. A useful post - thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back