Is it compulsory to have a dog with a motorhome (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
He ain't a dog. He's family.
Most definitely ...... I think most people think I don't like dogs...?
I've had them most of my life.... One for 16 yrs, once had to dive into the Shannon to save her and nearly cost both our lives and thousands of pounds in vets bill when she spent months in potters bar vet college for unknown illness..! Because she was family....

My original post was to inquire why so many had them in their motorhomes.. I haven't had a dog for some time and would put off having one while I travel a lot.... Perhaps I'm selfish..? I just would'nt want to leave part of my family shut in a van while I go out and enjoy my self..!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've had them most of my life.... One for 16 yrs, once had to dive into the Shannon to save her and nearly cost both our lives and thousands of pounds in vets bill when she spent months in potters bar vet college for unknown illness..! Because she was family....

My original post was to inquire why so many had them in their motorhomes.. I haven't had a dog for some time and would put off having one while I travel a lot.... Perhaps I'm selfish..? I just would'nt want to leave part of my family shut in a van while I go out and enjoy my self..!
I suppose it depends on what you are willing to do to accommodate a dog and also what your dog would be happy with - our 3 love going in the MH but are more than happy for us to b*gger off for a few hours and let them have a bit of peace and quiet - at home they have long snoozes during the day so being in the van doesn't make much difference, but the benefit to them is that they get to see lots of new places, get a lot more and longer walks/potters and get fed more food than they would normally get ... spoilt little devils!

Oh, and they get to 'nick' our bed for a while until bed-time!

tazzy on bed.jpg
Romy and Lily on bed.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I intend to buy my two equafleeces to wear, not for their benefit, but for mine. Their coats are very woolly and hold the water terribly, so it will be a lot less hassle if I keep them dry!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@Sas r us Please don't feel you are on your own... but with a thread like this the majority of people who reply will be dog lovers/owners... so it may seem like you are in a vast minority. I loved my little dog and she came everywhere with me in my van but I would not get another one.... I WAS tied, and when the weather was bad whilst away in the mh it could be a pain trying to keep everywhere clean after a walk. . plus it wouldn't be my friend would it ..:(

I don't buy vans, cars etc if they have been owned by dog owners or smokers even .... UNLESS they have been looked after ... and I guess that knocks me off a few Christmas card lists ... but I probably couldn't sell my van to anyone who doesn't like the smell of joss sticks .. my van can reek of them ..... everyone to their own choice.

There will be plenty of people at meets who don't have dogs, cats, parrots, monkeys, guinea pigs (yes, they are all there) and if you are allergic or afraid of any of them the marshalls will be only too happy to give funsters like minded neighbours. Didn't want you to think you are on your own .. I love any animal but trust me there are lots of funsters don't want to be parked near them.

Deleted User

We have said once our youngest one is no longer with us we won't have anymore, because we want to travel to Australia and the US, which we couldn't do with dogs the way you can with Europe.
Ours are happy travelling with us, but have always had a transient lifestyle moving home, living in small mess rooms etc before we got the mh, I don't know how well dogs that have lived in the same family home would get on with a confined space and suddenly having to be tied up when outside, ours struggle with being tied up while we are sitting outside the van as it's not normal for them, just have to tire them out as much as possible on walks.
They are ok being left for a few hours, but unlike at home if it's hot, we can't leave them in the van, same with taking them out all day when abroad if it's really hot can't we can't, so we all have to stay close to the van on those days. But on the plus we have an excuse to play in the sea with them like we are 10 year olds, without the dogs would be limited to gracefully swims :)
We do miss flying places further afield, as younger one can't go to kennels or be looked after by others. If we didn't have her, yes I know at least a couple of times a year we would go completely dog free, dropping the other two at my parents and head off doing all day activities you just can't do with dogs.

Lin :)

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
@Sas r us Please don't feel you are on your own... but with a thread like this the majority of people who reply will be dog lovers/owners... so it may seem like you are in a vast minority. I loved my little dog and she came everywhere with me in my van but I would not get another one.... I WAS tied, and when the weather was bad whilst away in the mh it could be a pain trying to keep everywhere clean after a walk. . plus it wouldn't be my friend would it ..:(

I don't buy vans, cars etc if they have been owned by dog owners or smokers even .... UNLESS they have been looked after ... and I guess that knocks me off a few Christmas card lists ... but I probably couldn't sell my van to anyone who doesn't like the smell of joss sticks .. my van can reek of them ..... everyone to their own choice.

There will be plenty of people at meets who don't have dogs, cats, parrots, monkeys, guinea pigs (yes, they are all there) and if you are allergic or afraid of any of them the marshalls will be only too happy to give funsters like minded neighbours. Didn't want you to think you are on your own .. I love any animal but trust me there are lots of funsters don't want to be parked near them.
What a wonderful refreshingly Honest reply... Thank you movan..
I do love dogs and have had many, however, I'm not fond of the little yappers that get pampered with pushchairs or put into hand bags... im more of a lab, springer, boxer type....

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
But on the plus we have an excuse to play in the sea with them like we are 10 year olds, without the dogs would be limited to gracefully swims :)
Love that bit.... Again an Honest reply..... If I wasn't going to travel so much I would defiantly get a dog, but I am, so I suppose that makes me selfish ...?

Deleted User
Love that bit.... Again an Honest reply..... If I wasn't going to travel so much I would defiantly get a dog, but I am, so I suppose that makes me selfish ...?
No not at all.
Anyway you will meet lots of people inc funsters with dogs, plenty of opportunity, to borrow one for a walk, play, swim. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't useualy get involved with dog threads as I have seen lots before and know how they turn out but seeing as I have at least one allie here's my view, I have had dogs all my life, but workers , collies and the like for rounding up sheep and cows and terriers for ratting but would never dream of taking one on holiday with me, being retired we only have a jack Russell now who just lazes about and owns the lawn but no way would I take it in the van , it stays at home same as usual and my daughter who lives next door looks after her.
Why would I want all the Agro
of getting up just to take a dog a walk or going out at night in the rain , or paying to take it on the tunnel , or not being able to go in places that don't have dogs, never mind all the cleaning up after them or feeding them or getting hairs and stuff everywhere in the van, getting in everyone's way with leads a cross pavements and barking and stuff.
Just don't get it I'm afraid.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I do love dogs and have had many, however, I'm not fond of the little yappers that get pampered with pushchairs or put into hand bags... im more of a lab, springer, boxer type....
The only ones I've ever seen in pushchairs have been in them simply because they have mobily/health issues - we used to have one with cushings disease and as it progressed it was the only way to ensure he got to go out and enjoy the fresh air etc with the other dogs; an alternative was to put him in a baby papoose which he loved. Some of the ones you've seen may simply have had similar reasons.
Midge in back-pack.jpg

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Ours is far from being a 'lap dog.' He'd crush you if he sat on your lap! However, he does only have three legs.
Although he's fully mobile at the moment, there will come a time when he begins to struggle. We'll have no hesitation in putting him in a trailer on the back of our bikes.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015

Must say though, we never leave the pooch, he is with us 100% of the time (y)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Labs R Us;)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I don't useualy get involved with dog threads as I have seen lots before and know how they turn out but seeing as I have at least one allie here's my view, I have had dogs all my life, but workers , collies and the like for rounding up sheep and cows and terriers for ratting but would never dream of taking one on holiday with me, being retired we only have a jack Russell now who just lazes about and owns the lawn but no way would I take it in the van , it stays at home same as usual and my daughter who lives next door looks after her.
Why would I want all the Agro
of getting up just to take a dog a walk or going out at night in the rain , or paying to take it on the tunnel , or not being able to go in places that don't have dogs, never mind all the cleaning up after them or feeding them or getting hairs and stuff everywhere in the van, getting in everyone's way with leads a cross pavements and barking and stuff.
Just don't get it I'm afraid.

Well .. we don't have a farm or anywhere to find any rats but we have always had busy active dogs such as our collie. Thing is .. he's one of the family. He goes everywhere with us and does everything with us that he can.
In return we get unconditional love and devotion. He protects the house when wrre at home and the van when were away and we wouldn't consider going away without him. He makes us smile and we make sure he has a great time. He loves being in the van and knows when he gets in were going somewhere cool.
Having a dog we expect to have a little extra cleaning ... but he's a lot less hassle and messy than kids can be tbh.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Most definitely ...... I just would'nt want to leave part of my family shut in a van while I go out and enjoy my self..!
I don't leave him. If he can't go with me then I don't go.
There is no way that I could leave him here as in the summer kennels are far too hot , so only way would be house sitters ,which I have had to do on a couple of occasions when we had 3 dogs.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We usually have one holiday, about a week or so, once a year with the dogs in kennels. We have a very good, though a bit pricey, boarding kennel, which they like and we know in an emergency they could go there.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@chaser
Take your point, but getting up early to take the dog for a walk, or last thing at night is one of the reasons I love having one.

Walking early, or late, when not many people are about is one of the joys (IMHO).

Again, like many others we find having a dog can be restrictive as to where you can visit but a little prior thought helps a lot.

Our present dog will definite be our last......

......but that's what I said last time!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not all dogs need to go out early or late! In a morning ours do NOT want to get up and Tazzy especially would happily stay in her pit until 10.00 am if she was allowed! On a night they'd rather stay where they are and if they go out around 10.00 pm then there more than happy until at least 9.00 am the next morning.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Not all dogs need to go out early or late! In a morning ours do NOT want to get up and Tazzy especially would happily stay in her pit until 10.00 am if she was allowed! On a night they'd rather stay where they are and if they go out around 10.00 pm then there more than happy until at least 9.00 am the next morning.
I'm not totally convinced that our dog needs to go out early in the morning and late at night but at least she is willing to humour me and tag along!:rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I can't imagine being on holiday without our two. Wet mornings are no problem - they simply will not go anywhere in the rain. They are happiest when the pack is together in one place so they love the MH. They don't restrict us in any way at all. I may be unusual in that I've only felt the need to fly anywhere on two occasions so far: IoM once, Cyprus once. I have no intention of spending half my life in an airport so I doubt I'll be doing it again. They are a Whippet & a Whippet x Italian Greyhound. Leaving them in the MH for a few hours is no problem - their aim in life is to sleep at least 20 hours a day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back