MH not in storage - not insured through Comfort (1 Viewer)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Just flagging up a potential issue that hasn't fortunately cost us anything. We are insured through Comfort, and used to keep the van at a storage area a couple of miles away. Originally it was under cover, but for a number of reasons, including being moved outside, we decide not to renew the storage and have since kept the van at home.

On ringing to chase the renewal today, I was asked if we still stored it away and on being told no, it was now at the house, I was told we have not been insured because we hadn't told them. "If the van is kept elsewhere for longer than 36 hours" we have to tell them.

So after an hour of going through documents and emails, and another phone call we can report thus.

This need to report is not on the letter accompanying the documentation, although eight other reasons to notify are.
It's not shown on the 'Schedule' or mentioned in the endorsements.
It's not on the certificate of insurance.
On the back of the Aviva 'Key facts' sheet it says, "You will need to advise us if the vehicle is to be stored for over 36 hours at a location other than the one noted on the policy. See Policy Conditions for full details".
No supplied document is called "Policy Conditions".
In the 'Statement of fact' it asks whether our address is where the vehicle is normally kept to which we answered correctly at the time 'No'. It then gives the Postcode where we used to store it. Then it asks where the vehicle is normally kept overnight, which is 'elsewhere'.

What the young lady was adamant about was that even while it was at the storage place, every time we took it away two weekends on the trot and didn't have time to take it back, it was effectively not insured while outside the house. Also on occasions, we would collect it two days ahead so it could be packed ready to go.

So..... be warned. It's in the small print across two documents, but not highlighted anywhere! I guess the ombudsman might say it was unfair clause, but it could be hassle for someone.

Final question..... anyone know if this also applies to other MH insurers?

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
When we renewed this year, they did tell us that if it was away from our drive, for reasons other than using it, for more than 36 hours, we have to tell them. We weren't aware of this before either

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ours is parked in the side garden at home behind six foot heavily padlocked gates, security lights and CCTV and they had to put 'parked on drive' because there wasn't a box for our arrangements :mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I had a similar discussion with our insurers and they clarified this.
If it is at home AND ON THE ROAD it is only insured for 36 hours. If it is at home AND ON THE DRIVE there is no problem.
I noted the date, and time of conversation and to whom I spoke, and told them that I expected that they would keep the recording of the conversation. (Forlorn hope probably).
Like the OP, the insurance documentation is less than clear on these points.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Only the same as when people leave there van on campsite or in storage whilst holidaying abroad and fly back to UK to see there little darlings. Most not insured after 36 hours.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I pointed this out on a recent thread concerning insurance as am currently looking for a renewal, they did mention it to me during a conversation regarding a quote but they did say if left unattended for 36 hours when I questioned this they gave an example of leaving it in an airport car park and going away on hols but maybe it applys to anywhere other than where you informed them it would be kept

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I usually keep mine is secure storage, but over the summer (is that what it was??), when I am doing lots of short trips, it's on the road outside. I discussed this practice with my insurer Safeguard and they are happy for it to be in either place, and have both addresses on the policy.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
This is a standard clause, I had this on my 20k caravan and realised when I took it in for a service and the dealer wanted me to sign a disclaimer stating that it was covered by my insurance not his whilst on site as it was staying overnight, I rang the insurance company, guess what "not insured", I also found out that as I had declared a storage compound it had not been insured on my drive, they then added my drive on as an additional approved place. Anyone who leaves there MH at a dealers premises should ring their insurance company or have the dealer provide written confirmation that its covered on their insurance.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Ours is parked in the side garden at home behind six foot heavily padlocked gates, security lights and CCTV and they had to put 'parked on drive' because there wasn't a box for our arrangements :mad:

Ours is the same.
Inside our premises and behind a six foot fence and matching gate, which is barred and locked and under constant light (thank you council street lights).
We are listed as "on a barred driveway" by Caravan Guard because they don't have a tick box for it and the computer can't add any variants.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Hi I picked this up when I was looking for Insurance for our new motorhome. I read an awful lot of policy documents and finally decided to go with Caravan Club as this was the least restrictive and whilst not the cheapest wasn't excessive. I formed the view that a lot of policies seem to want you to store your pride and joy and never use it!
I am now looking at CC for house Insurance as my current provider has a maximum of 60 days away from the house in a a year which is hopeless. On the surface the CC policy seems ok but waiting for a policy to review as the devil is always in the detail....

I don't work for CC either!

Sian88

Free Member
Sep 28, 2015
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Buying once house sold.
Exp
Who is the best insurer if you are going to full time in your motorhome? thanks.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Sian88 . Comfort is the only company that will do it, I think.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Who is the best insurer if you are going to full time in your motorhome? thanks.
Aviva are the insurance company behind Comfort, MHFacts and AIB for full timing cover. They are the ONLY company that will insure without a UK residence. You still need a UK contact address where the vehicle and your licence are registered with DVLA.

Under full timing cover you can only leave your vehicle unattended for a max of 36 hrs without the written consent of the underwriters.

365 day cover is not the same as full time cover as it has trip limits. Full time cover provides 364 days use abroad (Need to be back one day for MOT to stay legal) 180 days cover in any one country, (because of residency regulations).

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just flagging up a potential issue that hasn't fortunately cost us anything.
I flagged this one up a few months ago, when I discovered that when the MH was on the drive (and not in use) whilst I carried out essential maintenance, it wasn't actually insured. I told Comfort that it was a ridiculous situation.

They got in touch with Aviva, and because both the storage site and our home address come under the same post code area (PE6) Aviva said they would be willing to insure the MH at both addresses...................whilst it wasn't in use.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Just came across this as i have just insured with comfort and on my scheduel it says that my motorhome is parked at storage address. This is not true as i said to them that i use both storage and home address. They have sent back an email (my proof) that i will be insured at both addresses and that a note has been left on my account. Of course that email will now be kept for the duration of the policy.

May be worth getting them to confirm on email as i am sure that if it came to claiming they would just deny all knowledge.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
May be worth getting them to confirm on email as i am sure that if it came to claiming they would just deny all knowledge.
TBH, I thought I had, but I'm unable to find the email. I'll get back on to them.

Thanks for "heads up". (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't know if this will help anyone but there's a smart phone app called Automatic Call Recorder. It does what it says on the tin and can be set to record every call you make or receive. Mine's set to record 100 calls at which point the oldest is deleted each time a new one is recorded. Individual calls can be marked to be saved permanently. It has saved me a couple of arguments over the last two years or so.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
A few minutes ago I re-insured my MH and was told about the 36 hour rule over the phone and I've found it on page 2 of the Aviva Keyfacts document.

I hadn't seen the rule before but will certainly make a note of it in the future.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Mine is parked on my drive and insured as such. However, I stated that I may have to leave it on the road at times and they said that is fine as long as it is in the same post code area. Well, AB10 is huge so plenty of places to park if required(y) Insured through Direct Line.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
A Question to ask Tomorrow!. Ours is currently with Dealer / Repairer for a Gearbox fault (Warranty, No 6th Gear). I know it`s still there as I can see it on my Tracker app.!!

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Update:- Spoke to the CCC. They advise that under their cover we are good!. Cover extends to Repairers Property. with the proviso that THEY would be liable for any damage caused as result of their negligence or failure to secure the Vehicle. Cover also extends to keeping the Vehicle at another address temporarily, If for example the Storage area became unusable?.

Pete

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I just renewed with Comfort, in the schedule of things you must tell them about is a highlighted note that if the van is left unattended at any other place than the storage address without notification, the insurance is invalid!
Pretty sure the agent I spoke to last year brought this to my attention!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I just renewed with Comfort, in the schedule of things you must tell them about is a highlighted note that if the van is left unattended at any other place than the storage address without notification, the insurance is invalid!
Pretty sure the agent I spoke to last year brought this to my attention!

This may seem like a pretty dumb question, but if you leave the MH on a site somewhere and have a day or night out then are they saying it isn't insured ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back