Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
I know this may be a common question but I can't find what I want to know clearly.

My MH is under the 35t limit, what is my legal speed limit??

I now know that all commercial vans, any size are restricted to 60mph, seems most white van drivers are unaware of this though but round our way at least they are finding out to their cost.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
No idea but that's what's on the certificate
I am not doubting you for a second, but.....
The certificate suggests that you take a vehicle, put a driver in it, 90% full fuel tank and 90% full water tank and its weight reduces by 162kg!
Also, the figures seem to give you a usable payload of 1.3 tonnes, something is very wrong with that cert! Have you been down to a weighbridge to check it out? If you have MPLTM of 4250kg you are extremely unlikely to be overweight, but it may answer some questions.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
unladen weight is shown on the log book otherwise called a V5

this info is registered on the DVSA database and ANPR cameras use that data
Its not on my V5. In fact there isn't even an entry for it on the form. And there was a thread a few months ago which could not even come to a consensus on what the definition of "unladen weight" is for a motorhome. Is it when it left the cab and chassis manufacturer, the converter, or the dealer. All are different, by the time the dealer has added some extras.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes weighed and with me and full tank of diesel and two full 11kg gas tanks 2900Kg.
So I think the weights are somewhere near correct

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yes weighed and with me and full tank of diesel and two full 11kg gas tanks 2900Kg.
So I think the weights are somewhere near correct
In that case, yes, good to go, your speed limits are exactly the same as a car! :D
Happy days.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
In that case, yes, good to go, your speed limits are exactly the same as a car! :D
Happy days.
Yes it's nice to know also we have a good payload and also when I reach the ripe old age of seventy I could down rate her and not worry about dreaded medical exam:party2:

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yes it's nice to know also we have a good payload and also when I reach the ripe old age of seventy I could down rate her and not worry about dreaded medical exam:party2:
With that payload you could park a Smart car inside and still be OK! :D

Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Not quite correct, if your motorhome is over 3.05 unladen weight, then you are restricted to 60 on a dual carriageway, motorways are the same as a car 70mph. The rules were in that link I posted.

Ooooer missed that bit, but then again I don't do speed, I'm retired and in no hurry. :D

Upvote 0

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The medical exam is not onerous. It does however prove that I am fit to drive at the date of the exam rather than just me taking a guess. It is known that drivers are not making true statements so the self declaration may soon be ending.

http://www.breakeryard.com/blog/rai...ail&utm_term=0_c085751039-2631357ca6-77061489

Currently, there are six million people over 70 who hold a UK driving licence. Some of these people may of course no longer be driving and just maintain their licence as a form of ID. There are believed to be 230 drivers in the UK aged over 100. Drivers over 70 must state that they are fit every three years but there is no requirement to undertake medical or driving tests to uphold their declaration.

This has really split public and expert opinion alike. Many people think that this is a good idea as we are all living longer and there are more healthcare treatments and options out there which maintain good health for longer. Elderly drivers are loathe to give up their independence by admitting that they are no longer fit to drive.

The RAC in conjunction with the Transport Research Laboratory recently stated that 10% of motorists over 70 are unfit to drive. Some people might argue that older drivers have more experience and therefore better judgement on the roads. Other people might say their reflexes and responses are slower due to old age. Statistically, the figures are in the elderly’s favour as the evidence states that young male drivers are more lethal. For instance, one in four 18-24 year olds (23%) crash within two years of passing their driving test. Insurance premiums for older drivers are much lower than those for young drivers. Elderly people can be more cautious, some won’t drive on A roads, motorways, dual carriageways or at night.

Why is this change happening? Some industry figures are claiming that the DVLA is only doing this because they are swamped by the paperwork. In 2014 almost 60% of people over 70 were still driving an increase of 15% from 1975. Digitalising the whole process may be one answer but the DVLA’s volumes are huge; they deal with 1.4 million medically related mail items each year alone. It seems that it is the DVLA pushing to increase the age limit.

Last year, Mary Reilly, a non executive director at the Department for Transport was asked by the government to write a review on the DVLA to reduce costs and increase efficiencies. She stated that raising the renewal age would have little impact on road safety and would help to ease the pressure on the DVLA. Several European countries such as France, Germany and Sweden have no renewal required. Other countries require renewals at the age of 70. So renewing at 75 would be a balance between the two European practices.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I was thinking more of the over 3500 KG gross vehicle weight and retaining grandfather rights!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Me neither, I am nowhere near retiring, however, in the van 60 is plenty fast enough. On the motorway, I do push the boat out and go up to 65 :D
It's handy to know what limits you actually need to comply to though we very rarely go above 60,like to smell the roses and look at the scenery now we are retired.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Like commercial vans I believe motorhomes are stamped or at least officially recorded with the maximum load weight, that being the figure authorities can use to calculate overweight vehicles. The Unladen weight is again a recorded figure as the basic vehicles leave the factory, this being the figure speed limits would be calculated against irrelevant of fitted extras. I found my Unladen weight using a simple Google search. I might be wrong with my conclusion it would be interesting to know from an official authority especially as it seems clear many owners are not sure of the legal situation.

Upvote 0

Skinflint

Free Member
Oct 8, 2015
Erskine
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
12 months
My V5 shows my vehicle as a LGV Fiat Ducato, no mention of motorhome. Will ANRP therefore consider this as a commercial van ?

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My V5 shows my vehicle as a LGV Fiat Ducato, no mention of motorhome. Will ANRP therefore consider this as a commercial van ?
Your V5 should state that it is a motorcaravan, this is the relevant section from ours:
motorhome.jpg

Notice section D.5, body type is Motor Caravan. This needs to be present.

Upvote 0

Old Gaffa

Free Member
Apr 5, 2015
Anywhere we park up
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
currently lost somewhere
Surely the idea is to drive within your stopping distance, I travel along motorways often and see motorhomes whizz past at 70mph plus towing. I could trundle along at 70mph on the motorways but then I miss the view so 50mph is fine for a vehicle my size and leaving plenty of space between the vehicle in front and mine means I enjoy the journey.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
unfortunately it seems many think you must travel at the speed limit .
they seem to forget its a maximum speed limit not a minimum speed limit .
drive as slow as you like . hold others up if you want . pull in and let them pass if you can .
why are most in a rush all the time and dont enjoy the journey.
then get where they are going annoyed .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
drive as slow as you like . hold others up if you want . pull in and let them pass if you can .
It is a valid point vwalan but it is not a case of doing the limit but more a case of being sure you know what it is. I bet there are very few motorhomes that get speeding tickets but many more that get fined for weight issues but if it is true that some motorway gantrys can measure the speed and weight of passing vehicles it has to be in the best interest to those that don't know their own limits.

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
By deliberately driving below the limit you may be causing a hazard, for instance doing 50mph on a motorway you are causing all the trucks who are sat on their limiters at 56mph to have to pull out to overtake,thus reducing the flow of traffic in the middle lane that then has a knock on effect to the fast lane, at best this causes delays at worst this is just as dangerous as someone speeding in the fast lane.

Obviously speed needs to be adjusted for traffic and weather conditions but in clear conditions nobody should be doing less than 60 on a motorway.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
By deliberately driving below the limit you may be causing a hazard, for instance doing 50mph on a motorway you are causing all the trucks who are sat on their limiters at 56mph to have to pull out to overtake,thus reducing the flow of traffic in the middle lane that then has a knock on effect to the fast lane, at best this causes delays at worst this is just as dangerous as someone speeding in the fast lane.

Obviously speed needs to be adjusted for traffic and weather conditions but in clear conditions nobody should be doing less than 60 on a motorway.

Except the trucks that have a limiter set at 56mph of course.....

I do agree that too slow is dangerous though.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yes it isn't as simple as that, when undertaking advanced driving, you will be instructed to not deliberatley cause an obstruction, but to attempt to maintain the traffic flow where legally possible.
It should also be noted that deliberately driving so slowly as to cause impedence to other road users is covered under the dangerous driving regulations.
What we all need to observe is everyone's right to drive in the manner they see fit, our vehicles are not white with hi-vis reflective stripes or blue lights. If someone wishes to exceed the speed limit and overtake you. Try to make room and let them go. Similarly, we are driving big vehicles, that are likely to hold up fast traffic. Whenever possible, I will signal an overtake is good to go with a left hand indication, and moving to the left whilst slowing down to allow faster traffic to pass me in the van.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
strange the rules are 30mph as the slowest speed .
i do know about speed limiters i drive trucks and coaches .
i just think many drivers dont seem to understand the limit is top speed not minimum speed .
as it is trucks cant do 60mph if the limiter is working .
if i,m going slow and trucks come up behind i can slow even further to let them get past quicker.

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Except the trucks that have a limiter set at 56mph of course.....

I do agree that too slow is dangerous though.

Yes obviously, but their speed limit is 60mph, but for various reasons they are limited to between 52-56mph.

The supermarkets take it upon themselves to limit theirs to 50mph, and are an utter menace, forcing everyone else to overtake them.

Upvote 0

Old Gaffa

Free Member
Apr 5, 2015
Anywhere we park up
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
currently lost somewhere
It is just as easy to ease off the accelerator and help the large vehicle to overtake quickly as to speed up to prevent a queue of lorries building up behind. I just find it is not a race to get everywhere at top speed rather to enjoy each journey. Apologies Jabberwocky if you find anyone driving at 50mph a menace or a hazard on the motorway but I shall give you a merry wave as you zoom past (y)

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Yes it isn't as simple as that, when undertaking advanced driving, you will be instructed to not deliberatley cause an obstruction, but to attempt to maintain the traffic flow where legally possible.
It should also be noted that deliberately driving so slowly as to cause impedence to other road users is covered under the dangerous driving regulations.
What we all need to observe is everyone's right to drive in the manner they see fit, our vehicles are not white with hi-vis reflective stripes or blue lights. If someone wishes to exceed the speed limit and overtake you. Try to make room and let them go. Similarly, we are driving big vehicles, that are likely to hold up fast traffic. Whenever possible, I will signal an overtake is good to go with a left hand indication, and moving to the left whilst slowing down to allow faster traffic to pass me in the van.
I agree, for me it's just common courtesy not to deliberately get in anyone's way.
Driving slowly is fine when the roads are clear but why deliberately make anyone take avoiding action? smacks of "I'm alright Jack"... how do you tell how valid other motorists reasons are for wanting to travel faster?

Edit: I guess I should have added that I don't "bomb along", but equally would be mortified if held people up with my ambling about - I pull over or at least speed up as much as I can until I can, when causing an obstruction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
maybe its not the supermarkets trucks that are the menace .
I see where you are trying to go, but think about it like this. The supermarket trucks are travelling at 6 mph less than every other HGV, meaning that a gigantic elephant race is set up on any motorway where they are present, with normal HGV's passing them in the middle lane, effectively reducing every motorway to one lane for the rest of the public.
It also has the side effect of forcing the less confident driver, who was happily pootling along at 55 in lane one (causing little problems for anyone) out into lane 3 (where they are neither competent or confident), thus reducing the motorway to one lane and a near standstill for the rest of the motoring public!
Let's not forget all those people who are towing toads or caravans, they are stuck in the chaos, since lane 3 is out of bounds!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
It is great if you have the time to set the cruise control at 56mph and drive with the lorries rather than fight against them thus using up two lanes which white van man needs to get to work quickly so he can sit in his van drinking coffee and smoking a fag before starting work an hour after arrival.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but some vehicles are restricted even further . i drive vehicles with 40mph limits on m,ways .
its not just m,ways though . try driving a 40ton artic around cornwall at 50 mph etc its just not possible or safe .
cornwall isnt the only place . try steerable drag trailers etc on normal roads .
they may have upped the limit to 50 mph but you cant safely drive at it .
i said it was 30 on m,ways . it used to be but in actual fact there isnt a limit at all now .
i have driven all sorts of vehicles for a living . and regularly done 3000miles a week . my own vehicle is the one in the pic i drive just like as if i,m in a full size artic .
actually i avoid m,ways and dual carriage ways as i dont like the attitude of many of the other drivers on that type of road. i also find that many drivers cant reverse the vehicles they drive . but they love going fast.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back