Free Member
Oct 2, 2015
Banbury
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Have never driven an automatic before but am going to look at an automatic auto trail Navajo, just wondered what other people's experiences of driving an automatic are and what any negatives or positives are. Thanks.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Automatic over manual everytime.
Although our van is a manual I'd much prefer it was automatic.
Haven't owned a manual car for donkey's years and wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.
Modern autos are so good they make manuals seem hardwork inefficient and pointless.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hmm it depends what you are driving

Sportscar- manual every time, auto sportscar is like having a diesel convertible, just plain wrong. ( paddle shift on high end sports cars are good but on lower end cars, crap.)

People carrier- who cares your life if over anyway

Rep mobile - auto every time

Multi drop delivery truck- auto

44 tonne artic- manual, you need the control

Motorhome- auto if you have a big enough engine and manual override for the hills.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
For me it has to be manual every time, however that said, I am an old fart and I hate autos. What I hate about autos the most, including the new robotised manuals is that they try to tell me what gear I should select! For example, if I am slowing for a corner that I know I will need 2nd for, I don't want the bloody vehicle to refuse until I hit a certain speed! Or in full auto, I don't want a kick down all the way to 2nd which revs the nuts off the engine, when I know that 3rd will give me a better acceleration.

For most normal people who aren't me though, I would venture that auto gives a much more stress free driving experience. The new auto boxes (which are manual with a computer controlling the clutch) do not drive like a full auto box, and do take a little getting used to but when mastered I am sure most people would prefer them to manual. :D

Reactions: Qzx
Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Only ever had an automatic once and never again !
It was a car not a van and it was such a uninspired driving experience,changed gear when It wanted too instead of when I wanted it too
When you wanted to boot it and overtake it would decide to change up half way through the manoeuvre and drop the revs.
Driving is fun and if you want to feel part of the experience and want to be involved a manual box is essential.
That sounds like something out of the last century and a pretty bad one at that.

Try again with something a bit more modern, but be prepared to spend a couple of hours learning to get the best out of it before making your mind up.

It does depend where you drive - automatics are always going to give their biggest benefit in towns & on the M25 & similar, but a good modern box works pretty well on the average A road too. They are also more suited to motorhomes than to sports saloon - although most modern high-performance cars seem to be at least semi-automatic these days.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I drove a virtually new Fiat with the comfortmatic box and thought it was hideous. Rolled back when in gear.
Well it would do. It's a manual box with automated changes. So it rolls back like just like every other manual unless you put your foot on the brake - or use the handbrake. They are not an automatic in the traditional sense.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I love auto's . My car is ,but this isn't the best place if you need one worked on :(
Even main dealers don't really want to know.:cry:

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Been driving autos since 2001 and wouldn't go back to manual. I have a 2015 150BHP Fiat with comfortmatic and I love it. The 150 BHP is more than enough power IMHO. Good luck with your choice(y)

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Well it would do. It's a manual box with automated changes. So it rolls back like just like every other manual unless you put your foot on the brake - or use the handbrake. They are not an automatic in the traditional sense.
And this is one of the things one has to learn about new autos, as I intimated. They are very different to a traditional auto. They will also not creep forward on the flat when the brake is released, that is the other wierdism about them. (for the record, wierdism is a word, I just invented it! :D )

Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Ahhhh the modern auto box.....

We have the good old Tourque converter box.
The CVT box.
The twin clutch box like VWs DSG
Now we have the so called robotised box .

Life was once so simple.......

My current car a 2014 Toyota RAV4 has a conventional six speed Tourque converter box... Ohh so simple.. Well it was till they put buttons for Eco Sport Diff lock and silly paddles on the steering wheel... Mmmmmmm

Perhaps a manual ain't so bad after all :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The comfortmatic in our MH is excellent. Quite a few people on this forum have them and reported problems are few. What problems there are seem to be in the wiring, the box itself seems pretty bomb proof. We also have the extra which holds the brakes on hills so it doesn't roll back on hill starts, this should be standard I think.

Engine size is irrelevant with this type of transmission as it is effectively a manual and there are no losses, unlike a torque converter transmission.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We've had three vans, all manual, but a couple of years ago when we last changed our car, we bought an automatic diesel, 2ltr. I hadn't owned an automatic car since 1980 when I had a 3 litre Capri which drank petrol at an alarming rate (around 18-20mpg). The car we have changed my mind about autos. Mpg over 50 and so easy to drive. So when we do change this vanit will be for one with an automatic box, no question.

As above. Love the EGC on our new Peugeot - it still has manual controls should you want them but the auto is smooth and positive. I suppose it's not a true auto but so what? Six gears plus reverse...... Would love the same or similar on the next van.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I've never been a big fan of auto boxes simply because I enjoy driving and think that changing gear when I want rather than when a computer wants is part of the fun.
However, we spend a lot of time in the roundabout capital of the world, France. Constant going up and down the box every few hundred yards gets a tad wearing after a while so I decided on the auto option when we ordered our (Fiat) Carthago.
Best thing ever! The drive is so much more relaxing, particularly in towns and it is almost always in the correct gear.
It is a bit slower to pull away from roundabouts but not to any great extent, it hasn't caused me any problems. It tends to hang on to 6th gear when going uphill but a quick nudge on the 'stick' will make it drop down to 5th.
I am now a convert and wouldn't go back to manual in a M/H.

Richard.

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
What I hate about autos the most, including the new robotised manuals is that they try to tell me what gear I should select!

I've never been a big fan of auto boxes simply because I enjoy driving and think that changing gear when I want rather than when a computer wants is part of the fun.

That's what the paddles on the steering wheel are for!

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Didn't you wonder why the radio wasn't getting any louder :)

:tounge:

I know a lot of people don't like the gear change paddles but now I am used to them I use them around town especially. The beauty of the auto for me is the lack of clutch pedal / wear and tear on left knee / ankle.

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
:tounge:

I know a lot of people don't like the gear change paddles but now I am used to them I use them around town especially. The beauty of the auto for me is the lack of clutch pedal / wear and tear on left knee / ankle.

I can imagine it's a lot easier, particularly in traffic

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
MH is manual six speed but my car is automatic (proper torque converter) as there is no manual version available. Prefer manual as after driving for so many years gear changing is so automatic it doesn't need any thought.
The only reason I would go for an auto on a MH is that as the only driver it could be useful if incapacitated when away (only need one leg and one hand to drive an auto)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back