Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We bought our motorhome to predominantly UK wild camp/park when 'out in the sticks' and will be giving large towns and cities a wide berth.

I would be interested therefore in hearing from anyone who parks up in similar circumstances whom has had that knock on the door in the night to be told they can't park there or similar

Also whom was doing the moving on, a local landowner, NP ranger, police officer etc?

Hopefully by using the experience of others I can enjoy my motorhome and not cause any issue for anyone else

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Can honestly say in 10 years never had that happen in the UK, only once in Morocco and not heard anyone I know personally have that happen either.

OP
OP
Big Nick

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I should also mention we tend to park up around 7-8pm and are normally gone by 9am the next morning

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
In 4 years never had "the knock" in UK. In Spain happened once in 4 years - local police asked us to follow them to a better place to park and moved us to back of local police station in the village as they explained it was not a good place!!!.
In Portugal never had a problem.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Never had a problem in all the years since mid 60's and that was a minivan with a mattress in the back
:)
Cause no obstruction and take your litter with you good luck in your travels (y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Before I bought a house in the New Forest I brought my MoHo here twice just as a day visitor. On both occasions I was approached by a Forest commoner or a Verderer and asked if I intended staying overnight and they then explained why that would not be possible and the penalty if a tried to.

As a result the place is not littered with Caravans or Campers as it was when I was a child and it is also one of the reasons I purchased a house and moved here.

Broken Link Removed

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Before I bought a house in the New Forest I brought my MoHo here twice just as a day visitor. On both occasions I was approached by a Forest commoner or a Verderer and asked if I intended staying overnight and they then explained why that would not be possible and the penalty if a tried to.

As a result the place is not littered with Caravans or Campers as it was when I was a child and it is also one of the reasons I purchased a house and moved here.

Broken Link Removed
Morning to you Griff :reel:.........;)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
In 25 years of having a large Motorhame rather than a PVC when the kids were young so hence stayed on sites we have never been moved on in the UK or France, twice in Spain and once in Morocco when Marjan Security thought they could extract a few Dihram but scarpered pretty quick when the vibration sensor alarm contacts set the alarm off when they knocked on the window.
We always choose carefully never put chairs or tables out so are parking rather than camping and rarely stay more than one night except where it seems appropriate to do so.
If you join www.WildCamping.co.uk they have an extensive database of UK and French wild camping spots. You need to join to download. We have used many of those and never been disappointed except on a NationalTrust car park which needed payment with a mobile phone and we do not have a UK phone with a contract so couldn't do it but found another in their database just a couple of miles further along.
I don't think they are competition to this Club but sorry Jim if I am infringing any rules. I can always send it by PM to you if Jim has to remove the address.
Scotland and Skye are particularly good for some wonderful places to stay only disturbed by Sheep, rain and possibly the dreaded midges if you go in the wrong months.
Happy travels.
Steve

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I was parked up at Southport for the airshow weekend. On the following Monday morning at 08:15 a knock on the door. Would you move your van as a truck which was due to arrive this afternoon has arrived early and we want to unload its contents where your van is.

I wasn't happy as I'd paid in advance to stay the night. Bloody cheek!:censored:

As to your specific wild camping question - never had 'the knock' or been moved on.(y)

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
once back in the 70's we must have overstayed our welcome parked in a large car park overlooking treganhawke beach whitsand bay in cornwall,may have spelt that wrong we just call it traganto,had a friendly note put on overnight on the wing mirror from the local police to move on the next day.There is a height barrier there these days.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back