Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hello,

I've rung my insurer (broker AIB, underwritten by HGM) and they've informed me that we are not covered for driving in Montenegro and they can't do so. We are in the camper van in Croatia and our plan was to drive down to Montenegro for a few days before heading back up north through Croatia but it looks like we'll have to change our plans.

After a lot of digging around on the internet and trying to sift through the true vs false information, I think I understand the situation. The green card can be purchased at the border apparently but what a lot of people get wrong is this is NOT insurance itself. It is merely something extra you need to state that you are in fact minimally covered by your own insurer. What is weird is that even our insurance company suggested we could just buy "insurance" at the border.

Now, have I got that wrong? If so, how can insurance for a motorhome cost just €15 at the border, no looking into the value of the vehicle, etc. Who is it that underwrites this green card insurance? Who will be the company that does the legal and logistics in case of accident? Etc. It doesn't make sense to me.

I'm pretty sure I'm correct and the green card is not insurance but would like to hear any informed opinions on this. Also, does anyone have any alternate suggestions for us? Last resort is to find a spot to leave the van for a few days and just take a bus tour into Montenegro, or even rent a car locally which I hear comes with all required insurance. Or more likely we'll just have to skip it and continue our journey north (and deal with the same problem with the Bosnia crossing).

Thanks

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
You are correct in saying that Green card is not insurance. We drove to Crete last year through Croatia, Montenegro and Albania. You can buy insurance at the Montenegro border - cost approx 18 euros. This is only 3rd party insurance and is probably not worth the paper it's written on, however it makes you legal. Let me know if you want anymore info regarding the journey.

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Thanks. I'm just very reluctant to risk to vehicle (which I need to sell when I return from our four month trip) with uninsured (comp) driving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mwark

mwark

Free Member
Apr 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Well, we decided to chance it. We were camping so close and thought we wouldn't be in this situation again for many years so we took a three day (two nights) trip down. Entry was fine, bought the green card for €15 at the Montenegro side of the border (Croatia border south of Dubrovnik) where there was an ATM where you could draw Euros luckily. I still have no idea what would happen if you had an accident in Montenegro with only this green card insurance. Thankfully I don't.

We only stayed for those two nights, so we saw Kotor and the bay around it, walked the old walls and the steep climb to the fort. We then drove inland to see the national park. Word of advice, if you are coming from the Kotor town side and your satnav directs you up a small road that eventually links up with the M4, DON'T TAKE IT.

This one:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...2!3m1!1s0x134c36729239726b:0x57ba85ac9806c6bc

It's a eroded cliff edge rock infested narrow scare fest. Luckily I was the only fool driving on it otherwise it would have been bad news. I've never felt so nervous driving. What a relief when it eventually joined with the M4.

We enjoyed seeing Montenegro, the scenery is outstanding (though admittedly, we've seen a lot like it in the last two months of the trip - Austria, Northern Italy, etc). But it was a huge relief to get back to Croatia and back to fully comprehensive insurance again.

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We went through Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia a couple of years ago. All on fully comprehensive insurance, Green Card through Caravan Club insurance without any supplement.

We also went through Serbia this summer but wasn't sure where we were going to head and CC issued Green Card for all Balkan countries plus Moldova, Ukraine, etc. It is interesting that Ukraine now comes under their Green Card but wasn't when we went about 3 years ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back