New French gendarme teams crack down on speeding (2 Viewers)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Isn't this just a revenue collecting excersise. All police forces that use covert systems to catch one speeding are just money snatchers.

[HI]If they, the police and the governments genuinely want to deter people from speeding on a particular stretch of highway, wouldn't it be more appropriate to be highly visible so as to deter all and future users of the road[/HI].
:

How about some highly visible speed limit signs.... Oh.. Hang on.. They have them.
Speeding is a choice.. If you speed and get caught then you can only blame yourself.
If you see it as money snatching.. Then slow down and gain some satisfaction.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I always set my speed limiter to no more than 110kph on motorways, any more just uses loads of fuel. 90kph is even more economical. I can't see why anyone wants to speed, it really makes little difference to when you arrive (if speeding it could be if you arrive)

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
How times change
They weren't so fussy when we sped over there and over to Paris in WW2?

#justsaying

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
How about some highly visible speed limit signs.... Oh.. Hang on.. They have them.
Speeding is a choice.. If you speed and get caught then you can only blame yourself.
If you see it as money snatching.. Then slow down and gain some satisfaction.

As i've said i've never been done for speeding.

Why would the police need to hide if they are trying to deter speeding?

If i see a speed trap i always remember it and i'm extra careful with my driving in these areas.
Same with Parking, some councils depend on the revenues collected and don't really want illegal parking wiped out............maybe thats why the camera cars:Doh: are being binned in England. (they're too efficient) and revenue might be declining.........or am I being too cynical?:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I always set my speed limiter to no more than 110kph on motorways, any more just uses loads of fuel. 90kph is even more economical. I can't see why anyone wants to speed, it really makes little difference to when you arrive (if speeding it could be if you arrive)

I'm afraid that's not true, if you travelled 400 miles in a day at 50 mph it would take you 8 hrs .If you travel at 70, that's a considerable saving on time!
Some of us have limited time for holidays and make the most of cheaper diesel

Vlad

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As i've said i've never been done for speeding.

Why would the police need to hide if they are trying to deter speeding?

If i see a speed trap i always remember it and[HI] i'm extra careful with my driving in these areas.[/HI]
Same with Parking, some councils depend on the revenues collected and don't really want illegal parking wiped out............maybe thats why the camera cars:Doh: are being binned in England. (they're too efficient) and revenue might be declining.........or am I being too cynical?:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Does that mean you're extra dangerous otherwise? :winky::winky:::bigsmile:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Travelling to our overnight site at Guines from the motorway just north on Tuesday this week, we were on a D road and had just passed through a village. This village was one with a 30Km limit through the centre. Quite a few are getting these now.
Havn't looked at the maps, for the name of the village, it's probably irrelevant if the gendarmes are doing this in a number of places.

Anyway, leaving the village the road changed to 50kms. A minor couple of bends and a longish straight stretch of about 400 meters in this 50 area, mostly with fields either side as the houses had stopped prior to the first bend. You could see the 70 sign ahead. Very tempting just to go up to 70. However a mirror check just as we entered the 50 saw a French BMW that had been behind me gun it to overtake me, so I stayed at 50 to let him overtake. Suddenly, a car coming towards us started flashing it's lights, not because the BMW was impeding them, The driver coming the other way had passed what I had just picked up just the other side if the 70 signs in a lay by ahead, the gendarmes with their radar, who pulled in the French driver.

So, even the limits leaving villages are enforced, and it's not just Brits being picked up.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
How times change
They weren't so fussy when we sped over there and over to Paris in WW2?

#justsaying

With respect, rubbish. WW2 has absolutely nothing to do with the French crackdown on speeding which is a big issue in France and causes many deaths. There is simply no connection whatsoever. They are not targeting Brits to any other nationality, they are targeting people who exceed the speed limit.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
has absolutely nothing to do with the French crackdown on speeding which is a big issue in France and causes many deaths.
This is because they are out & out the worst drivers that I've ever come across. Far worse than the Spaniards where I live & who always get stick.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Speeding is illegal for a reason, its dangerous so in my opinion the French police have to reduce the accident rate somehow. I agree with comments about French driving but this just reinforces my view of speeding.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
When in France (next month) I shall do what I do in this country, when on a main road I set my cruise control to 2 mph below my speed limit (I say MY limit because our MH is over 4,000 kg so is lower than the car limit).

This takes a lot of the stress out of driving long distances. I just love my cruise control...

KH

PS. The reason that I set it just below is just in case it creeps up a little on a down hill stretch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back