Eurotunnel any trouble? (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2008
chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
Swift BESSACAR 597
Exp
hi all we are getting ready for our annual road trip and would like to head off to France via eurotunnel but we are a bit concerned with all the hassle going on at the moment.
What are your experiences recently?

There are only two days when nothing can be done, yesterday and tomorrow.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Just returned NO PROBS Most of the probs happen in the night on the freight trains. We did not see one illegal.

colyboy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We travelled over on the 24th August we had a slight delay on the way over due to "immigrant activity". We saw a lot of police and a few immigrants walking on the A16. A group of 5 were walking through the Cite d Europe later, but there was no sign of trouble.
Nothing like the reported 1000's massing everywhere.
Did see one get arrested early yesterday on the way back home.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
We travelled out today no problems we were booked on 11:20 train they put us on 9:50. We arrived early thinking there may be delays but there were none.

I did notice long queues of lorries on the French side waiting to get into the freight terminal.

Now sat in Neufchatel en Bray heading for Southern Brittany.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Someone posted this today on Facebook, a little worrying to say the least. Be warned strong language.

Broken Link Removed

Brian

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Returned on Sunday; no probs, but that was daytime when you'd be hard pushed to see a migrant and before the burning tyres episode that stranded ferry travellers over the weekend.

There were probs last night, but that was with the passenger service - Eurostar.

Put eurotunnel.com on your device for latest travel info OR phone 0844 63 00 00 for their 24hr info service (calls cost 7p/min + your provider's charge) On your return journey, add +44 and drop the zero for info on the french side. (Hence 44 844 63 00 00) Well worth it for current updates and info.

Bon voyage!:france:

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
5 trips this year excellent service. Only half hr delay on way out this time not seen a migrant yet. Travelling up at the moment crossing Saturday morning. Not concerned about crossing. Just go and enjoy (y):france:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well............ we loved using the tunnel earlier this year (y)

But not now.............. it may be OK most of the time but it is simply not a risk we are prepared to take :eek:

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Has anyone on here actually had a problem this year crossing on the tunnel? We had a one hour delay in July coming home but that's it, every other crossing has been on time and easy.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We've cancelled using the tunnel this September and touring Kent and Suffolk instead. Just too much hassle and we dont need it.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No crossed 4 times not one problem nor on the ferry used that 4 times as well.
But then I dont read DM or watch BBC news.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Has anyone on here actually had a problem this year crossing on the tunnel? We had a one hour delay in July coming home but that's it, every other crossing has been on time and easy.

Only been over the once so far this year, in May, never saw a thing.

Have booked again for October. But bearing in mind the video I posted above, I’m travelling well into daylight hours both ways and I’ll make sure the dog misses his breakfast those days (he gets a bit ‘techy’ :mad: on an empty stomach).

Make sure all the doors are locked, windows up and hope for the best, all you can do really.

I’m sure the video was the exception rather than the rule, nevertheless it looks as though it did happen and I’m sure would have been disconcerting for those in the surrounding area.

Brian

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
As I said earlier this is the 5th crossing since Easter. No problems whatsoever. I had big concerns in July and was really unsure when I asked on here everyone said go. We did and had a great time. Eurotunnel have been excellent through all the problems. One half hr delay. And most of the other crossings we have got on earlier. Advice is still go and enjoy (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're going again in October.

This has got the potential to become just like gassing. There's nothing to worry about but people believe the scaremongers on the basis of no evidence whatsoever.

All we need is for a story to appear in the Fail about someone being gassed and robbed while on the train by a migrant.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The last time we went was July/August at the height of the so called "problems." Guess what..........there were no problems whatsoever, not even any sign of any problems apart from about 30 minutes delay caused by Op Stack which I think was in place because of something to do with the ferries, not the tunnel.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
N
never had a problem and can't understand why people are changing their plans.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
This has got the potential to become just like gassing. There's nothing to worry about but people believe the scaremongers on the basis of no evidence whatsoever.

Really, and how many videos have you see of people being gassed?

I am, nor others, scaremongering, just be aware and take precautions. Personally I wouldn’t stay anywhere near Calais. Common sense should see a smooth transit. Certainly hasn’t put me off, but forewarned is forearmed.

Brian

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Really, and how many videos have you see of people being gassed?

What on earth has that got to do with the tunnel? My post that you quoted mentioned gassing sarcastically. I wasn't being serious :rolleyes:

The answer by the way is none because there aren't any because nobody has ever been gassed. It's impossible. :doh:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I bet the Fail will run the story sooner or later though.

Probably tomorrow if they read this forum and have made up enough BS for tomorrows edition (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well............ we loved using the tunnel earlier this year (y)

But not now.............. it may be OK most of the time but it is simply not a risk we are prepared to take :eek:

Ditto..

until the migrant situation is resolved and the French workers stop burning tyres on the road.. I have vowed that I won't book up to go via Calais again.. Ferry or Train.. not holding my breath..

Yes.. held up four hours in the terminal going out in July.. took us all day to get from Suffolk to France.. left at 5AM (to get a head start) M20 was closed diverted via A2... at Dover, Kent was gridlocked.. eventually reached France around 2pm ....

But maybe it was just a dream and I drank too much the night before.. :rolleyes:

To cap it all, when we came back a day early (in case of hold ups) . were charged €25 for the privilege.. but no compensation for the delay going out

Last edited:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We went out Friday evening on an earlier train than we booked, we came back late Monday night with about 50 minutes delay due to 'an earlier incident at the terminal'

Less hassle than a ferry even so

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Went through the tunnel on the first day of the French ferry workers strike, just after they had started fires on the tracks.
Opp Stack was in force so we went M2 then across country to Folkestone. No delays at all.
Checked in at the tunnel then found out that services had been stopped so had to wait a couple of hours in the car park. No problem for us, put the kettle on and just chilled.
Got to France a bit later than planned but as we were only intending to stop at Escalles it wasn't a problem.
Been through the tunnel four times this year and that was the only delay.
Going through later today and will stop at Escalles again. Although it is just outside Calais it is always as quiet as a grave.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back