Precautions against getting 'gassed'? (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Stop wearing that frock and sussies in public........................(y)(y)

It was only the aliens that I did not want picking me up. How else can I get a date without my frocks & sussies?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Though I don't believe in gassing, I'd take sensible precautions like not parking in motorway Aires at night, or leaving anything valuable on view or within reach of a window.
Don't worry about gassing, just relax and enjoy yourselves
Why all the negatives about motorway aires. there are two types ones without service stations and those with service stations. As with gassing PLEASE tell me who has been robbed on these services that have not sadly invited it by leaving £2500 in cash, Ipads and various other items of high value in sight whilst leaving their vehicle. I have used them for years with no adverse experiences. By the way, I have just purchased two books all the aires in France both north and south where yet again this "urban myth" is being propogated, but they have reason, they are promoting the advertised "safe" aires in their book....... GOOD GRIEF PENFOLD !!!!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Gassing is probably a cop out when heavy sleepers have not been careful with security and lose valuables as a result.
Make sure doors etc are secure and valuables are out of sight and reach and avoid service aires when overnighting.
Enjoy your trip (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
PLEASE tell me who has been robbed on these services that have not sadly invited it by leaving £2500 in cash, Ipads and various other items of high value in sight whilst leaving their vehicle
probably nobody, as it seems ridiculous to believe all the cases in the newspaper had lost almost exactly the same which is conveniently the maximum paid for theft of personal items and cash on insurance policies. were people robbed? undoubtedly, but for lesser amounts and a few old used phones etc

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I will say this only once!

'Allo, it is I, René Francois Artois!

It was I who was responsible last year for the 'gassed' family of 6 from Derby in their Motorhome, we in France call them Camping Cars, and I would like to make a full confession.

After the War I moved from my Café in the little village of Nouvion in Northern France to Bourges where I opened a new Café at a Motorway Service Station

My lovely wife Edith, Yvette and Mimi came with me to help and I was lucky to also have Lieutenant Gruber who cooks in the kitchen and goes to the Cash and Carry in his little tank.

The incident happened when a family from Derby stopped at my little café a few weeks ago and parked their Camping Car in the nearby Service Station car park.

They brought their own food with them into the Café and irritated me by not buying any of dear Gubers delightfully cooked produce.

They asked for my finest Red wine, I wasn't going to waste any of that on the tight fisted group, and they were given a few bottles of the worst vintage I could muster.

During their long drinking session one of the members of the Resistance heard something that they had mentioned, and she told me only once, the words 'Madonna' and 'big boobs'.

This of course brought back memories of the picture of 'The Fallen Madonna and the Big Boobies' by Van Klomp and its whereabouts because it hasn't been seen in decades and must now be worth a fortune.

Apparently they had a suitcase in the Camping Car with the possibility that the long lost painting was inside the case.

After they left my little Café in an alcohol induced state after drinking the rough, but expensively priced, wine I had so generously served we formed a plan to steal the suitcase and relieve them of the picture of the Madonna and the Big Boobies.

When everyone inside the vehicle, suffering from the after effects of my 'finest' wine, finally succumbed to sleep Gruber parked his ageing smoky exhaust emitting little tank next to the Camping Car.

He climbed on top of his little tank and lowered a hook on a rope through the open sky light of the Camping Car and, bless him, lifted the suitcase out without disturbing the slumbering occupants.

We hurried back to the Café and eagerly opened the case.

To our bitter disappointment the suitcase only contained a couple of Madonna DVDs, some sweaty shirts and a couple of bras that would have fitted Mama Cass - and not the picture we so dearly craved.

When the family came back to my café the next morning complaining about bad headaches and a stolen suitcase I immediately referred them to Officer Crabtree.

His grasp of French and English completely bemused them, their own Derbyshire accent nullifying Crabtree's attempt at sorting out the English version of the problem, and he directed them to our local Hospital for some headache relieving tablets.

Yvette and Mimi's daughters work as Nurses at the Hospital, and with my guidance and advice, both girls intimated that it was obviously Carbon Monoxide poisoning that had effected the six English and not the worst tasting and smelling wine that anyone could possibly consume and get away without severe repercussions.

To my horror, and my horror has often been tested, the Derby family claimed around 2,000 of your English pounds for replacing the contents of the stolen suitcase.

I, Edith, and the two English airmen, who still haven't gone home despite frequent efforts to get rid of them, have trawled the Internet to find the real value of the contents and I'm afraid the optimistic estimate to be round €40 (£32) as most the items we saw were either possibly pirated versions of the delightful Madonna's DVDs or poor quality shirts and bras bought from Derby market.

I admit my involvement in the crime that your Newspapers reported in chilling detail but feel I have truthfully put my side of the story and insist that normally we would only serve such appalling wine to those who are naïve, stupid or downright thick – and that can't be you, can it?

If anyone knows whether the Derby Six got away with their Insurance claim, or if they were refused compensation, please let me know and I will send Michelle and her Resistance colleagues round to their houses and sort them out.

Goodbye from all of us,

Réne.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
In order to avoid gassing, I believe you have to wear lots of beads on your wrists and perform a complicated dance whilst chanting a mantra, this will ward off the evil spirits of a fraudulent insurance claim :imoutahere:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We are looking forward to going to France in a few weeks time, and aware of the gassing situation we have decided as a precaution we will be taking £3,000 for as we all know the gassers only steal £2,000 at a time which will leave us ample funds to still enjoy our trip ,and be able to look forward to returning home to claim our £4000 from the insurance company.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Instead of pulling your blinds down .. you could plaster a copy of the daily mail over your windows.. they will then know you're a lert.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Instead of pulling your blinds down .. you could plaster a copy of the daily mail over your windows.. they will then know you're a lert.

I have tried SO hard to become a "lert", my wife says I'm not a very good one in fact she says I need to be more a "lert" but I'm now sure how to be...... until I searched google... all hail google ...... and found this

"When you are "lert" there is the constant feeling that nothing will satisfy you but a good time, seeking and pleasuring hot women or partaking in copious amounts of questionable activity frowned upon by most cultures"
ergo I must be a lert and never knew it, I have apparently been a lert for most of my adult life ...WHOOPPIE.

OP
OP
Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Oh dear! My mischievous prank seems to have been rumbled. :oops:

People will believe anything that they want to believe, despite all evidence to the contrary. I have an example.

I was working in an office a couple of years ago and overheard some young ladies discussing 'Spontaneous Human Combustion' (SHC). They were looking at a website on the subject and were all agreeing that this was indeed a strange and unexplained 'phenomena'. In other words they believed in what they read on the website and that SHC was indeed a true fact.

I joined their conversation and explained that this was in fact an old urban myth. I also explained how I knew it was such. No, not because I read it on the internet, that universal source of so much information both true and untrue. It was because as a SOCO, not only had I examined many scenes where a person had burned to death in a room that was not itself completely consumed by fire, but I was also a qualified fire investigator, having attended courses including the advanced fire investigation course at the Fire Service College at Moreton-in-Marsh. By the way the SHC myth is discussed at these courses and the true science behind these types of fire deaths is well known and documented.

Anyway they were not convinced because they had read on the website that it was a real phenomenon - they believed, that for no apparent reason, people can simply burst into flames!

I then pointed out to one of the young ladies that the popular American TV series Mythbusters had done an item on it with all the appropriate experiments. Before I could finish my sentence the young lady interjected excitedly, "Yes, I saw that programme and they proved it was true!"

In actual fact the Mythbusters' verdict was 'Myth Busted' i.e. the myth was not true, SHC did not exist! The young lady however had completely turned the facts around and had remembered it as she WANTED to remember it.

At this point I decided that my time was best spent getting on with what I was supposed to be doing. :banghead:

So, not matter how many threads there are on MHF, no matter how illogical and daft the very idea of 'gassing' is, those who believe will continue to do so.

I hope I am forgiven for my little prank. :)

KH

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Isn't this a serious thread?

I was about to say that you need to take a photograph of you and your family looking really glum otherwise the Daily Wail might not run the story.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I was working in an office a couple of years ago and overheard some young ladies discussing 'Spontaneous Human Combustion'
Funny this, as yesterday a chap pops in the work shop & say " You off to Assen soon? you need to watch out you know that their gassing motorhomers on the continent don't you " Gave him my reply that its all bull & bit of an urban myth, he got quite narked said he was only thinking of us & left, oops

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
DO YOU TRAVEL ABROAD?
Do you live in fear of being attacked by strange speaking people, or being gassed at night by foreign criminals as you sleep?

Then you need one of these!

mil.jpg

The Mk 4 L1A1 Mother In Law anti theft deterrent can save you from the perils and tribulations of foreign travel. Programmed to attack anything in trousers, this deterrent has successfully been used by thousands forced to navigate in strange lands where the locals speak funny languages. She will leap into action AT THE FIRST SOUND OF A NON ENGLISH VOICE! Feel secure at night, and also when returning home, as this model, unlike the Mk 1, will ensure that NO customs official will approach your vehicle to check your stash of contraband. Lets face it, would you?
You can rest assured that your Ipad and £2000 cash will remain safe.

Available for the amazing introductory price of 14/6d.
Contact the TOOTLES MIL PROTECTION AGENCY now!!

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Hang on. Stop. Hold your horses!

The gassing stories could have an element of truth after all!
Story in today's Torygraph (wife's paper) about members of a Paris gang arrested for using 'scopolamine' to 'mesmerise' their victims.

So, if an Oriental looking lady approaches you and says "Would you like to sniff this?" Expect to loose your Rolex and wallet.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Stay at home? While peaking out the closed curtains occasionally?

Then there is always Vodoo but this can be more dangerous then the gassing!

Best stay at home the safest option....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back